Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Dodge Challenger vs. 1994 Vette...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Rocket22
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Dodge Challenger vs. 1994 Vette...

Challenger
low 5's 0-60
420 hp
37K base
5 speed auto
13/18 mpg (huh???)

1994 Vette
low 5's 0-60
300 hp
8K (my purchase price used)
6 speed
18/26 (although on a highway I am at 30 mpg in 6th at 72 mph)

Can someone tell me why to buy this new Dodge? I cannot believe they couldnt do better with the MPG.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 AM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 6.1L Hemi does not have MDS, which is why the fuel economy sucks. For 2009, the Challenger will be available with the 5.7L Hemi, which does much better in fuel economy. I have the 5.7L Hemi in my 07 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T. My best 1/4 mile time is 13.88 with just a couple of bolt on mods.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:07 AM
90EXPVette
Safety Car

It has a backseat That's the only thing I wish our C4 had...every year I consider gettning something that we could enjoy as a family at the same time. This year I'm looking at Jag XK's but they just don't do it.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Y-ME
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ain't the Challenger heavy? Plus it does not look to have the best aerodynamics.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:11 AM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Well, for a 4 door, the Charger I have was a decent trade from my 01 Z06. Doesn't have all of the power of the Z, but is still a fun car to drive. A couple of MUSTS with regards to the Charger or the Challenger...
1. Cold Air Intake (well, they are more open element)
2. Cat-back Exhaust
3. Predator Programmer (this is a must!)
With these three items, you will drop from 14.5 to high 13's in the 1/4. Even if you don't drag race, you will still want to do these modifications, the fun factor jumps up, especially with the Predator (better shifting, not as lazy). I also have a Lifetime Warranty on the motor and drivetrain. Check out www.lxforums.com for more information on the LX/LY platforms.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Rocket22
Racer

Default What is the deal with those lifetime warrantees?

There has to be something, otherwise I will be looking at one as my next car and drivew it to a million miles!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Y-ME
Ain't the Challenger heavy? Plus it does not look to have the best aerodynamics.
yeah it weighs almost 4,000 lbs. Thats the difference between the new Challenger and a vette.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:37 AM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rocket22
There has to be something, otherwise I will be looking at one as my next car and drivew it to a million miles!
Every 5 years, you need to bring the car into the dealership for a free check-up. Other than regular maintenance (which you can do yourself, you do not need to have it done at a dealership), that is it.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Matt Cramer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Y-ME
No kidding - I'm into Mopars, but why did they have to make it weigh 4,000 lbs? That weight is really holding it back.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

4000+ lbs or thereabouts should sum it up nicely for you!

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 02-06-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:02 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

...18/26 (although on a highway I am at 30 mpg in 6th at 72 mph)
Not to hijack, but I see these claims quite often from C4 owners, and I'm not sure I believe them. I have a LT1/6-spd, drive it "normal", not like I stole it, and I am lucky to be getting 26 on the open road @ 70mph.

Overall mix it comes out to be 22-24 mpg.

Yes it is tuned, yes I burn good gas, and yess I keep a light throttle, steady speed whenever possible.

Ok, thanks, you can have your thread back.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:42 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

4140lbs,to be exact...+ the driver's weight..and gas...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

look close, ask pointed questions abt what ''isn't'' covered, and you'll find that those warrantees are nearly worthless...just a ''marketing'' ploy...not just chrysker (who may not even exist next year) but all the others too.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

4th Gen Z28's were 3521 lbs, and the leg room in the back was enough for midgets. The new GTO weighed in at 3725 lbs and again, not a lot of leg room. The Charger has more room in the back than any of them. Also the Charger/Challenger is in a totally different segment than a Corvette. If you have the need for a vehicle that can fit 4 people, the Charger/Challenger is a great vehicle for that use.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

The new Challenger is sharp. I'd love to have one along with my C4
Old 02-06-2008, 02:39 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redrose
look close, ask pointed questions abt what ''isn't'' covered, and you'll find that those warrantees are nearly worthless...just a ''marketing'' ploy...not just chrysker (who may not even exist next year) but all the others too.
Taken from the Dodge website (FAQ's regarding the Lifetime Warranty)
Also, the Challengers with the 6.1L Hemi are considered SRT vehicles and do not have the lifetime warranty. In 2009, the 5.7L will be available in the Challengers and those will be eligible for the Lifetime Warranty.

NEW CHRYSLER LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY CUSTOMERS -- Q&AQ1: How do I know if I’m covered by the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
A1: You’re covered if you’re the first registered vehicle owner (purchased on or after July 26, 2007) – retail or lease – in U.S., Puerto Rico and The Virgin Islands.
Q2: What does the new powertrain limited warranty include?
A2: The Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair covered powertrain components – engine, transmission and drive system – on most new Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge 2006 MY, 2007 MY and 2008 MY vehicles.
Q3: What powertrain parts and components are covered?
A3: Gasoline engine, transmission and drive systems (FWD, AWD, RWD or 4WD).
Q4: Are there specific provisions to the new warranty?
A4. In order to maintain the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, you must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealer once every 5 years. This inspection, performed at no charge, must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle. It is your responsibility to perform preventative maintenance on your vehicle. You’re strongly encouraged to follow the instructions contained in the Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines in your Owner’s Manual.
Q5: When does the new warranty coverage take effect?
A5: The Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty begins at the end of the 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty.
Q6: Why is Chrysler changing its warranty coverage?
A6: Our confidence level in our vehicles is very high. Our dealers are telling us that our products are the best quality they've seen in a very, very long time – maybe ever. So, we'd like to take this level of confidence and share it with you, our customers. This new powertrain warranty demonstrates our commitment to you as a Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge customer and the confidence we have in our ability to produce quality, reliable and durable vehicles. We want you to feel that same confidence.
Q7: Are any Chrysler vehicles excluded?
A7: Vehicles that are not covered under the new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty include SRT models, Diesel vehicles, Sprinter models, Ram Chassis Cab and certain fleet vehicles.
Q8: What about second owners of the vehicle?
A8: Subsequent owners or lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred by operation of law are also not covered. Chrysler offers extended service contracts for purchase for second owners of Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge vehicles.
Q9: Why did you choose to make this program non-transferable?
A9: Our internal research data confirmed that the transferability take rate (available on the 7-year/70,000-mile warranty program) was low. We are providing peace-of-mind to the original owner who made the investment in our Chrysler product. Our competitors, Hyundai/KIA/Mitsubishi that offer what was considered the benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty (10 years/100,000 miles), only extend it to the original owner. With the announcement of the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, Chrysler will be the new benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty.
Q10: How does your new lifetime powertrain warranty coverage compare to your competitors? A10: We are the first and only OEM to offer a lifetime powertrain warranty.
Q11: What is different from your 7-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty to the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
A11: The 7/70 warranty included a deductible per repair visit, and coverage was transferable for a fee of $150. The new lifetime warranty has no deductible and is not transferable.
Q12: If I purchased my vehicle on July 24 or 25, am I still eligible for the new lifetime limited warranty?
A12: No. However, Chrysler Service Contracts offers a Lifetime Powertrain service contract that is similar to the Company’s new powertrain warranty program. For 60 days, this plan will be offered at a great value to you if you own a 2006 MY and 2007 MY Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle with the 3/36 basic limited warranty coverage.
Q13: How long will this new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty be offered on Chrysler vehicles?
A13: At this time, we plan to continue this warranty program through the 2008 MY.
Q14: How can I learn more about Chrysler’s new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
A14: Initially, warranty details will be provided as a supplement to the current vehicle Warranty Information Books. Revised warranty books for future vehicles are currently under development. Customers may also visit Chrysler.com, Dodge.com and Jeep.com for more information.
Q15: Is towing included in the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty program?
A15: No. Our research indicates that most consumers have independent towing service plans such as AAA.
Q16. Are Mexico, Canada and International markets offering the new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
A16: No. This is a U.S. program only.
Q17: Is this just a marketing promotion to drive traffic to your dealerships?
A17: No. This demonstrates our commitment to improved quality on all our vehicles. This isn't a rebate or financing incentive. We stand behind our products with capital investment in facilities and technology. Our warranty programs exemplify our investment in powertrain. It's a move of strength.
Q18: What does 'lifetime' mean?
A18: Lifetime is lifetime.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:41 PM
300HPisnotenough
Instructor

Challenger
low 5's 0-60
420 hp
37K base
5 speed auto
13/18 mpg (huh???)

1994 Vette
low 5's 0-60
300 hp
8K (my purchase price used)
6 speed
18/26 (although on a highway I am at 30 mpg in 6th at 72 mph)

Can someone tell me why to buy this new Dodge? I cannot believe they couldnt do better with the MPG.
how can you even compare the two? they're two completely different cars for two completely different markets.

Get notified of new replies

To New Dodge Challenger vs. 1994 Vette...

Old 02-06-2008, 03:03 PM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
The new Challenger is sharp. I'd love to have one along with my C4
Its a good lookin car. 420hp is sufficent as well.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

6 speed
18/26
To be fair, the adjusted fuel economy to 2008 guidelines of a 1994 automatic 'vette is 15/22 mpg.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:11 PM
96VetteDriver
Intermediate

Don't hate - I love my Vette, but that 6.1L Hemi (in my case in a Jeep SRT8) is one sweet motor and the ONLY way to get up to 60 in 5 seconds flat with the wife and two kids along for the ride!

Different cars for different things. Both would be great.

Quick Reply: New Dodge Challenger vs. 1994 Vette...