Changing Spark Plugs on 94 C4

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:32 PM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts

Default Changing Spark Plugs on 94 C4

Wow,

I must say at the start what a JOB....Before trying this job I did many searches on the subject and I found a lot of good information....But nothing can prepare you for plugs #6 and #8!!!!!!

I decided to change the plugs because during my weekly start and run until operating temp. The engine after warming up had a definiate miss and rough idle along with exhaust backfire and a slight ping from the valves upon reving the engine to 2500-4000 rpms....This may be a bad opti-spark but I opted to start with the plugs then wires and then to the coil or opti in that order due to the car having only 21200 miles on it.........

Drivers Side:

I would say start here. This is by far the easiest side...I removed the 3 bolts from the ASR unit and disconected the plug for the unit. I then moved this unit without disconnecting the cables to the area on top of the ECU. I then removed the rubber tube (air injection I think) that is in the way of #5 and #7 plugs.....I then removed the wire looms from the heads without removing the wire retainers as these are a pain remove from the wires.......I removed the boots from the plugs.....I must say that the factory must use GLUE instead of grease to lube the boots to the plugs.............Remove plugs and install the new ones gapped to
.050......EASY NO PROBLEM........

Passenger Side:

I removed the wire loom from the head on plugs #2 and #4 and removed the boots from plugs #2 and #4. This is were it gets hairy: I finally had to use this special tool with a long handle screw driver to pry off the boots for #6 and #8

The jaws are protected by a thick piece of rubber that will not damage the plug boot......... I used this with success on both #6 and #8. The #2 and #4 plugs are easy........Here are the special tools needed for #6 and #8

Please note that the spark plug socket and socket from pic #2 are also used with the assembly in pic. #2..Also note that we as Corvette owners do not use Duct Tape ..........we use electircal tape hahaha....... I then removed the #6 and #8 plugs.......I then installed
plugs #6 and #8 using a piece of 3/8 i.d. rubber tubing.

Here is all the tools :

Have fun........take your time............it can be done

Last edited by seijack; 02-24-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:39 AM
basselope
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wait a minute, wait a minute!

Dude... you've got a 6:1 ratio of spark plug to thread lubricant (blue label bottles) goin' on there. That just CAN'T be right!

Seriously though, thanks for the post! Mine are coming up soon.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 PM
jrogensk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Not to hijack the thread, but when I replaced the plugs on my 93 LT1 a couple months ago I did not use any anti-sieze. Should I have? Should I go ahead and pull them and put some on?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM
RogerZ06
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jrogensk
Not to hijack the thread, but when I replaced the plugs on my 93 LT1 a couple months ago I did not use any anti-sieze. Should I have? Should I go ahead and pull them and put some on?
I wouldn't worry about it if you change your plugs every year.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Tiggers
Racer

Hey if those two tools all the way to the left are snapon or craftsman, take them back! they are defective and I know they have a life time warranty! (they should be gold colored, not clear)
Old 09-05-2008, 08:47 AM
basselope
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roger420
Agreed.
The idea of using anti seize compound is primarily for ease of removal after very long periods of time. It can also help protect your threads from wear/galling, but neither of these are worth removing fresh plugs just to dab on a bit of compound.

You're fine.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:37 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by basselope
Agreed.
The idea of using anti seize compound is primarily for ease of removal after very long periods of time. It can also help protect your threads from wear/galling, but neither of these are worth removing fresh plugs just to dab on a bit of compound.

You're fine.
The last time I changed mine, you could tell the previous owner balked on ol' Number 8 'cuz it was torqued in there tighter'n a **** with no anti-seize. It was the O.E.M. AC/Delco Platinum plug, the others were AutoLite Platinums.

I ended up using a breaker bar on TOP of a dash of thread penetrating solution on that **** to coax it out.

I used anti-seize and NGK TR-55 Platinums when I swapped 'em out. Great plugs!
Old 09-05-2008, 04:57 PM
jrogensk
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Roger420
I wasn't planning on pulling the plugs for a long time. In fact, after my friend and I finished up doing the plugs and wires I told him when it came time for new plugs/wires I would sell the car and get something else.

Maybe when it cools off here in Texas, and I feel ambitious, I'll pull them and put some anti-sieze on there.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 977 Likes on 460 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I think your beer to frustration level is wrong, I only see two bottles..
Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 PM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts

I used the two beers on plugs 6 and 8. Now when I changed the Opti and the plug wires I used quite a few more of the clear bottles haha

Really the plug wires on the drivers side have to be the worst job. Very tight spot....If you already have put your plugs in I would not take them out just to put anti-seize on them....I just have always put a dab on ever since my Grandpa said it would be a good idea When I changed
the plugs in my 1972 Challenger way back when.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seijack
Wow,

I must say at the start what a JOB....Before trying this job I did many searches on the subject and I found a lot of good information....But nothing can prepare you for plugs #6 and #8!!!!!!

I decided to change the plugs because during my weekly start and run until operating temp. The engine after warming up had a definiate miss and rough idle along with exhaust backfire and a slight ping from the valves upon reving the engine to 2500-4000 rpms....This may be a bad opti-spark but I opted to start with the plugs then wires and then to the coil or opti in that order due to the car having only 21200 miles on it.........

Drivers Side:

I would say start here. This is by far the easiest side...I removed the 3 bolts from the ASR unit and disconected the plug for the unit. I then moved this unit without disconnecting the cables to the area on top of the ECU. I then removed the rubber tube (air injection I think) that is in the way of #5 and #7 plugs.....I then removed the wire looms from the heads without removing the wire retainers as these are a pain remove from the wires.......I removed the boots from the plugs.....I must say that the factory must use GLUE instead of grease to lube the boots to the plugs.............Remove plugs and install the new ones gapped to
.050......EASY NO PROBLEM........

Passenger Side:

I removed the wire loom from the head on plugs #2 and #4 and removed the boots from plugs #2 and #4. This is were it gets hairy: I finally had to use this special tool with a long handle screw driver to pry off the boots for #6 and #8

The jaws are protected by a thick piece of rubber that will not damage the plug boot......... I used this with success on both #6 and #8. The #2 and #4 plugs are easy........Here are the special tools needed for #6 and #8

Please note that the spark plug socket and socket from pic #2 are also used with the assembly in pic. #2..Also note that we as Corvette owners do not use Duct Tape ..........we use electircal tape hahaha....... I then removed the #6 and #8 plugs.......I then installed
plugs #6 and #8 using a piece of 3/8 i.d. rubber tubing.

Here is all the tools :

Have fun........take your time............it can be done
Love them special tools
Old 09-06-2008, 11:50 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I asked for help from my 12 year old grandson when I changed the LT4 plugs and wires. Any time that I got into a tight situation I just had him use his skinny arms and hands and my eclectic stash of tools.
I had to take him to the local ice cream joint for a cold root beer float after the job was done.
And I never did get the wires from the drivers side to fit on the opti. I was short of time as I had to deliver the car back to the guy I originally bought it from that weekend and just did not even try. He had an extra set of new factory LT4 wires and a lift in his garage anyway so I let him have that "fun".
Old 09-07-2008, 12:30 AM
psychodiagnostik
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't have too much trouble on my '93, but I have skinny arms, hands, and wrists. I do remember I actually did the passenger side firewall plug with my back to the car, and my hands working underhanded... they fit the best this way, and it only took a swivel-head rachet and spark plug socket. This seemed to be the most useful tool for me, for this job: ordinary Craftsman swivel head rachet.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:43 AM
Lrod
Burning Brakes

I jacked up my 96, pulled off the wheels and inner fenders. I don't know if it was easier but I thought it was?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

It's a PITA job, I don't care how you slice it. The only way it could suck any more would be doing it on an F-Body. At least we have the clamshell hood for engine accessibility.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:53 PM
formul89
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by onedef92
It's a PITA job, I don't care how you slice it. The only way it could suck any more would be doing it on an F-Body. At least we have the clamshell hood for engine accessibility.
That's for damn sure. Plugs and MSD 8.5 wires took me 9 hours on a '96 Z28.

Now I know why the dealer wanted $300 just in labor for this...
Old 09-09-2008, 03:44 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine done at a friends shop........$125.00 for labor it was real easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing Spark Plugs on 94 C4

Old 09-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

The right side is alot easier if you remove the middle & rear section of the wheel house. Takes about 5 minutes to get it off. 10mm socket, a 30 & 15 torx bit & if memory serves a 6mm socket for the lines attached to the center section over the a arm.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Richard G
Instructor

Default Easy to change, not

There is no doubt that replacing the sparkplugs and wires is an auto experience of a life time that primes you for the Opti.
I still have scars to prove it.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:14 PM
grayml
Racer

Originally Posted by psychodiagnostik
I didn't have too much trouble on my '93, but I have skinny arms, hands, and wrists. I do remember I actually did the passenger side firewall plug with my back to the car, and my hands working underhanded... they fit the best this way, and it only took a swivel-head rachet and spark plug socket. This seemed to be the most useful tool for me, for this job: ordinary Craftsman swivel head rachet.
Amen!!! Leaning back against the car is the only way I have found to get the right angle on that #8 plug. Some will say to lay across the engine but I don't think that is necessary.

Quick Reply: Changing Spark Plugs on 94 C4