C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Lumbar Seat Pump/Motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:27 AM
gproberson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lumbar Seat Pump/Motor

Anyone out there have a lumbar pump/motor they want to get rid of? I could use two of them for my 1990 if the price is right.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:34 PM
C4forfun
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the 80's/90's the company that manufactured most lumbar systems for american automotive seats was called Bytec. That may be spelled incorrectly, because I'm running off of memory. They supplied tier 2 Lear Corporation, which is who I think manufactured the Corvette seats as well. I believe that a lot of bladders/pumps were the same, but used in a number of different applications. You might be able to contact them if they're still around to possibly buy new, or find out the other applications that will interchange to save you money on used, so you're not limited to just Corvette parts. It's been a long time since I visited that plant, but it might have been in Southfield, Mi., or somewhere close to there. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gproberson
Anyone out there have a lumbar pump/motor they want to get rid of? I could use two of them for my 1990 if the price is right.
Have you checked to see if just the Diaphrams are torn? Very rarely are the pumps bad. Usually the diaphrams are torn and you can't hear any noise when you push the lumbar button when the diaphrams are torn. There is a fix for this under Tech Tips using a rubber dish washing glove. It is a cheap and easy fix - about an hour and $2. Remove the bottom seat cushion and you will see the Lumbar Pump, remove the plate off of the end of the pump by the hoses and you will see the pump rod with no diaphram. Push the lumbar button while watching the rod and see if it moves. Below is a picture of the Driver's Side Pump on my 1990.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:42 PM
lilredc4
Instructor

Replaced my pump diaphrams using a peice of bicycle tube, very easy and works great now. Saved $$$$. Also very easy to do, took about 2 hours to do both sides.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:47 PM
vettes124
8th Gear

Default Lumbar Seat Pump/Motor

I fixed mine just like "lilredc4" did and it's as easy as they say. From what I've read the innertube fix may last longer than the latex glove material. Even if you have to buy a bike innertube they're only about $3.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:33 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gproberson
Hey GPROBERSON, did you check it out and see if the diaphram was bad?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Brenda1
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

I did the glove method and it works but does not last long....the tube idea sounds like a winner.

Get notified of new replies

To Lumbar Seat Pump/Motor

Quick Reply: Lumbar Seat Pump/Motor