courtesy lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 PM
arizonaames269
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default courtesy lights

87 L98,
When I open either door the courtesy lights will NOT come on. However, when I turn the courtesy lights on with the main light switch, the courtesy lights come on. The only things that I see in the circuit other than the main light switch is the doors switches that are supposed to go to ground with the door open. That is what the main light switch does when you turn on the courtesy light with it. Are both door switches shot? I changed out the light assembly on the passenger door yesterday and the map lights work now on both doors. It was just a 3 prong plug-in so I do not think that I screwed up there. What do you think? I see that it is not easy changing the door switches or getting to them. Also the back latch releases do not work now either unless I turn on the courtesy light with the main light switch.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:34 PM
All2kool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arizonaames269
Are both door switches shot?
That would be my guess. Our cars are notorious for leaking water into the door jambs, likely corroded the switches into non-functionality. Probably original switches.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:15 PM
arizonaames269
Racer

How in the world do you get access to the door switch? I just spent an hour droppping the underdash cover plate and could not get my hand or anything else in the small opening to even reach the switch.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:22 PM
All2kool
Drifting

You need to remove the Flux Capacitor and the Heisenberg Compensator first. Then remove the door and take the Body Tub off.

Sorry, can't help.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:23 PM
arizonaames269
Racer

ttt
Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 PM
steveb
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could also be that your courtesy light delay timer has gone bad. Mine did and exhibited the symptoms you describe. They don't make that timer any more, so I just made a jumper wire. Doors open, lights on, door closed, lights off. No delay. Other option would be to get one from a salvage yard. I can tell you that the timer on my 85 was located on the passenger side close to the ECM. Not sure about your year. You might do a search on courtesy light timer on this site. Can't remember which two of the three wires I had connected together. If you have a service manual, it probably has a wiring diagram that would help. Good luck.

--sb--
Old 03-15-2008, 08:35 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by steveb
It could also be that your courtesy light delay timer has gone bad. Mine did and exhibited the symptoms you describe. They don't make that timer any more
--sb--
I was under the same assumption, till I was surfing Corvette Central and saw that they list it as available.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...sy+delay+timer
Old 03-15-2008, 08:40 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

I just tried to put one in the shopping cart and it said "NOTE: Because our website does not show stock, please allow 7-10 business days to receive your order (USA and Puerto Rico only.). A confirmation email will be sent when your order is shipped."
Available maybe, in stock, no !!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:23 AM
arizonaames269
Racer

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
I just tried to put one in the shopping cart and it said "NOTE: Because our website does not show stock, please allow 7-10 business days to receive your order (USA and Puerto Rico only.). A confirmation email will be sent when your order is shipped."
Available maybe, in stock, no !!
That is a good possibility. I will check that out today. That problem started when I replaced the passenger side light. I might have shorted it out with the unstall because 2 of the wires were just dangling from someone elses presvious in stall on speakers. They tore the wires out of the small light microswitch.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 AM
steveb
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks promising. I haven't even seen them listed before. Good job!

--sb--

I was under the same assumption, till I was surfing Corvette Central and saw that they list it as available.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...sy+delay+timer
Old 03-15-2008, 11:47 AM
arizonaames269
Racer

Originally Posted by steveb
That looks promising. I haven't even seen them listed before. Good job!

--sb--
Dan Larsen has been a GEM and very helful to us newbies!!! Thanx Dan!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:52 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Old 03-17-2008, 10:35 AM
arizonaames269
Racer

I finally found the light delay switch!!!! It was not where the FSM said it was. It was next to the ECM on the passenger side of the car! I ordered a new one from Corvette Central....7-10 days for delivery...
Old 03-17-2008, 03:18 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

I finally found the light delay switch!!!! It was not where the FSM said it was. It was next to the ECM on the passenger side of the car! I ordered a new one from Corvette Central....7-10 days for delivery...
So they really do have access to these ?? Was this verbal confirmation or computer confirmation.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:29 AM
micsonit
Advanced

Default Door light

87 L98,
When I open either door the courtesy lights will NOT come on. However, when I turn the courtesy lights on with the main light switch, the courtesy lights come on. The only things that I see in the circuit other than the main light switch is the doors switches that are supposed to go to ground with the door open. That is what the main light switch does when you turn on the courtesy light with it. Are both door switches shot? I changed out the light assembly on the passenger door yesterday and the map lights work now on both doors. It was just a 3 prong plug-in so I do not think that I screwed up there. What do you think? I see that it is not easy changing the door switches or getting to them. Also the back latch releases do not work now either unless I turn on the courtesy light with the main light switch.
I would check the wiring diagram for the lights. My 86 had the same problem and I think the wiring goes through the passenger door first then over to the drivers door next and if there is a problem with the passenger door it will also be in the driver door but if the problem is in the drivers door it may not affect the passenger door. My problem was the 3 prong connecter in both doors (a pain to get to). The wire is very short and they would pull apart. I added about 10in of wire to each door and the problem never came back (added 10in of wire from the door jam to the inside of the car). I first fixed these with out adding wire and had keyless entry put in and when I got home no lights and had to pull it back apart and at this time I added 10in of wire to both sides and never had the problem again. Good Luck.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:39 AM
rich653
Burning Brakes

Dan Larsen has been a GEM and very helful to us newbies!!! Thanx Dan!
Always..your good info is well appreciated.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 AM
garychurchill
Pro

I have the opposite problem. All of my courtesy lights won't turn off on my 95! Map lights, door lights, hatch & under dash lights. All the dang lights won't go off!!!

Get notified of new replies

To courtesy lights

Old 03-18-2008, 10:18 AM
arizonaames269
Racer

So they really do have access to these ?? Was this verbal confirmation or computer confirmation.
Delivery confirmation. It is on the way.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:16 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Delivery confirmation. It is on the way.
Awsome !!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Radco10
Intermediate

Check the door switches. You should be able to get to the connector with out pulling the door panel completely off. unplug the connector and jumper the connector.see what happens. If the lights come on and the hatch release buttons work, then the door switch is bad. I had this problem on my 91. I squirted some contact cleaner as best I could in the door switch and worked the switch manually for a while; plugged it back in and everything worked. The hatch release switch is enabled through the door ajar switch too. If you pull the bulb out from above the handle and put a meter on the two clips, you should have 12 volts on each pin to ground with the door open (one of the handle trim plate screws worked as a ground for me). Same with the hatch release, check each pin to ground. there should be 12 volts from each pin with the door open. I recommend jumping the door switch connector first.

Quick Reply: courtesy lights