Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Failed emissions.... Cats?

The car *barely* passed the high-speed NOX test, but failed the low-speed test. By a LOT. By Texas law, I can have it retested for free after I fix it, assuming it passes. If it fails, I have to pay again. So "just run some Seafoam through it" isn't going to work here.

The guy at Autozone told me it's most likely the cat at that level of failure, so it's going in to the muffler place for a test.

Question:
1) What causes high NOX levels? The Autozone guy told me that it was most likely NOT the O2 sensor or a filter
2) If I replace the cat, I'm considering having them lop off the entire resonator in the center of the car. Anyone done this?

Edit:
I found this interesting little article on the web about emissions:
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h56.pdf

Here are my values:
High speed (25 MPH)
Pollutant, "normal" value, my value
HC (ppm), 117, 71
CO(%), 0.65, 0.45
CO2(%), 14
O2(%), 0.7
NOX(ppm), 821,820

All pass. However, the low speed fails:
Here are my values:
High speed (25 MPH)
Pollutant, "normal" value, my value
HC (ppm), 120, 114
CO(%), 0.67, 0.67
CO2(%), 13.8
O2(%), 0.7
NOX(ppm), 907,1659

Last edited by Umrswimr; 03-29-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:25 PM
VetteSlave
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I'm not so sure about what the people at Auto Zone told you. The first thing I would do is replace the oxygen sensor(s). If your car has 100K + it might be a catcon but usually when a cat starts plugging you can smell the change in exhaust scent and the car will be a little harder to start and feel like it's missing some power under throttle. Remember the oxy sensor causes the computer to set mix and if it's fouled/blackened from age it sends wrong info on start up that stays in the computer through the entire run cycle.
Best of luck your way!
Old 03-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Stopped by a muffler place and they told me the cat is definately "clogged". However, they also indicated that it would be best to have a diagnostic done before I replace the cats because it could be something else that CAUSED the cats to fail.

He did mention that I can get a full Magnaflow exhaust added for about $300 at the same time.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:15 PM
VetteSlave
Safety Car

Just saw the numbers you added. How many miles on said car? In reality, a "clogged" or real bad cat would most certainly have tripped the oxy sensor if it's working and you would be looking at a service engine light on the dash. I think the muffler guy wants to sell you some stuff!
The Magnaflow for fourth gens is a great looking and sounding system for the money!
Old 03-29-2008, 06:29 PM
jdubois77354
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I barely passed the smog on my '86 last year, after replacing the EGR and O2 sensor. Very high NOX, just a couple of points under the max at both high and low speed. This year I decided to check out the cat. When I pulled it from the car I was surprised to find it a completely empty can. I bought a new center cat from Midwest for about $279.....putting it in was no big deal, but it was not a perfect fit...I did not change out the "pre-cats" but NOX was close to zero on both low and high speed tests.....

You may also want to check your water temperature at full operating temps. My termostat had failed open and the car was not getting over about 150 degrees back when I did the O2 sensor and EGR. NOX level dropped also when I put the "correct" 180 degree thermostat in...

Just my results, your mileage may vary.....
Old 03-29-2008, 06:49 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteSlave
Just saw the numbers you added. How many miles on said car? In reality, a "clogged" or real bad cat would most certainly have tripped the oxy sensor if it's working and you would be looking at a service engine light on the dash. I think the muffler guy wants to sell you some stuff!
The Magnaflow for fourth gens is a great looking and sounding system for the money!

How do you "trip" an O2 sensor? The EGR system is designed to reduce Oxides of Nitrogen.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:01 PM
vetteblack
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think if you had a clogged cat, your car would run like crap, like no power, and no high rpms either.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:12 PM
95Torch
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I had that problem last month..., before you go and spend a bunch of money, heres what I did. The NOX emissions that failed my initial test were at 961. The person doing the inspection told me that it was probably because I did not drive it regularly and that it needed to blow out all the carbon. I gave this info to shop that does all my high end maintenance, And they sold me this stuff called "104 Emission Control", it's a fuel additive. I added to a tank of gas...ran it all out, put some fresh Shell 93. When I returned for the retake, my NOX reading went from 961 to 119. the inspector could not believe the drop! I did a search online for the product, but could not find anything. What part of Texas are you in, If you are in Houston, then go check out the Corvette Center on 610 and Main. Talk to guy named Calvin, tell him James with the red 95 sent you.

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:14 PM
VetteSlave
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MK 82
How do you "trip" an O2 sensor? The EGR system is designed to reduce Oxides of Nitrogen.
Lack of oxygen at start up............
Old 03-29-2008, 07:19 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

In reality, a "clogged" or real bad cat would most certainly have tripped the oxy sensor if it's working and you would be looking at a service engine light on the dash. :
Explain to me how "lack of oxygen at startup" has anything to do with O2 sensors.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:45 PM
VetteSlave
Safety Car

Explain to me how "lack of oxygen at startup" has anything to do with O2 sensors.
I had a cat problem on my '88 back when it was still under warranty. In that case it was a "clogged" converter! I got a light upon start up one day and it stayed on, by the time I got it to the dealer a few days later the car was hard to start and barely running. It was explained to me at that time by the dealer that on start up the computer system checks the O2 sensor for "flow" and that the reason the light was on days before was because the O2sensor was detecting a diminishing exhaust flow on start up. I've never heard anything to the contrary when I've explained this story to others, so I believe it to be the way it works.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

I thought the EGR system only ran at startup?

The car does occasionally idle poorly when the AIR pump is running. Otherwise the car runs fine.

Last edited by Umrswimr; 03-29-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

I pulled the codes:

1 (CCM) C12. What is this?
4 (PCM) H21, H25, H72. I assume "H" means history, so I'm not worried.
9 (ABS) ---
A (Airbag) ---

So what is CCM code 12?
Old 03-29-2008, 10:07 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Scanning it would take the guess work out of it and you should clear those History Codes. 50 ignition cycles usually gets rid of them, so relatively speaking, these problems didn't occur that long ago (and you just might want to see if they reset). It is a bit rich - particularly at idle and all of these numbers can appear with a dead Cat. You want the scan to verify fuel delivery and that EGR is being commanded at cruise (and absent a code, it probably is and it's working the way it should be). Assuming that fuel delivery is deadon and a working EGR, then it's the CAT, but you want to verify that before you start throwing money at it. And finding that it doesn't run well with the Air Pump running points to something else - possibly a bad header check valve - which could make it run rich. I'd remove the check valves and inspect them. See if a scan shows a rich or lean condition on one side or the other. Repost with your scan results.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:10 PM
VetteSlave
Safety Car

I just asked a real guru I know and gave him the run down. He told me a bunch of stuff, but based on what you've described about what you're reading off the computer, long and short, he thinks your converter is plugged too!

Last edited by VetteSlave; 03-29-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

What the heck is a "header check valve"?

It's only 1/25 times that it stumbles a bit when the AIR pump is running. I suppose that could be a result of a clogged cat- the air being pumped in has nowhere to go...

The muffler guy did use a heat probe to test it- it read hotter before the cat than after which he indicates is a sign of a bad cat. He clearly wasn't just trying to "sell me something" as he's the one that told me to go get it diagnosed before throwing money at it.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:43 AM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

I had a cat problem on my '88 back when it was still under warranty. In that case it was a "clogged" converter! I got a light upon start up one day and it stayed on, by the time I got it to the dealer a few days later the car was hard to start and barely running. It was explained to me at that time by the dealer that on start up the computer system checks the O2 sensor for "flow" and that the reason the light was on days before was because the O2sensor was detecting a diminishing exhaust flow on start up. I've never heard anything to the contrary when I've explained this story to others, so I believe it to be the way it works.
O2 sensors don't know diddly about flow. They sense unburnt oxygen and generate a corresponding voltage that is interpreted by the PCM. When the engine is in open loop after startup, they are not used by the PCM. After a period of time when they are hot and functioning, the PCM enters closed loop and uses the O2 sensor to adjust fuel delivery.

Consider this your contradiction. Don't listen to the person that told you that fairy tale.

Get notified of new replies

To Failed emissions.... Cats?

Old 03-30-2008, 11:13 AM
VetteSlave
Safety Car

O2 sensors don't know diddly about flow. They sense unburnt oxygen and generate a corresponding voltage that is interpreted by the PCM. When the engine is in open loop after startup, they are not used by the PCM. After a period of time when they are hot and functioning, the PCM enters closed loop and uses the O2 sensor to adjust fuel delivery.

Consider this your contradiction. Don't listen to the person that told you that fairy tale.
You got me to wondering. I just pulled out the paper work from 1990 and it reads that the "tech" pulled code #13 which I believe to be the O2 sensor? It goes on to say after pulling code tested sensor voltage...OK. Then Found converter to be defective. Paperwork seems to say what I said. Why did the car give a code #13 which apparently led them to the diagnosis????..........
Old 03-30-2008, 11:16 AM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Umrswimr
I thought the EGR system only ran at startup?

The car does occasionally idle poorly when the AIR pump is running. Otherwise the car runs fine.
The EGR system is prohibited when:
1. Trans is in Park or Neutral.
2. Throttle Angle is less than a predetermined value.
3. Wide Open Throttle.

The PCM uses engine coolant temp (ECT) and intake air temp (IAT) to determine when to enable the EGR system. If IAT is above 59F at startup, EGR will be enabled at 140F.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:19 AM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

You got me to wondering. I just pulled out the paper work from 1990 and it reads that the "tech" pulled code #13 which I believe to be the O2 sensor? It goes on to say after pulling code tested sensor voltage...OK. Then Found converter to be defective. Paperwork seems to say what I said. Why did the car give a code #13 which apparently led them to the diagnosis????..........

What vehicle are we talking about? The codes in OBDI are different from OBDII. The OP has a 94 OBDI.

Last edited by MK 82; 03-30-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Failed emissions.... Cats?