84-90 Owners..(and everyone) Pls read/Post a Response

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 02:53 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default 84-90 Owners..(and everyone) Pls read/Post a Response

This is not a Poll,but would like to see here what you all think.Maybe if theres a market large enough,it may convince a company to make what Im thinking about.

IF someone sold a wide molding kit,to replace your thin GM rubber ones,and you just bolt them to the car,bumpers and all, would you be interested?
Its almost upgrading the car without losing the lights.looks,style and etc.

Or would you buy new bumpers,pre-formed wide molding,but looks exactly stock with the 84-90 style round lights and shape?That way you can use the wide moldings for the doors from the later cars.

Since GM has began discontinuing the moldings,and most of the old moldings nuts seize up and cant be re-used without cutting them off the bumpers,many companies now are offering new bumpers with the narrow style molding already pre-formed in their bumpers.
(It will be some time before the aftermarket makes the GM rubber correct styles again.)

While thats great,and you can paint them black,they dont match the rubbery thin moldings too well thats on the doors.

Even if you paint the door moldings black or body color, they just dont look right with preformed molding bumpers..picture a 91-96 car with the smooth molded bumpers,and then rubbery ones on the doors that stick out the way the 84-90 cars do.Yeck eh?

I asked some companies if they sell a new,smoother narrow door/fender moldings to match their preformed narrow molding bumpers but they said no,and to use the GM ones for the doors.yeck...doesnt look right.To custom make any of the above I mentioned would be very expensive.If they had a market for it,who knows.

So you following so far? I want to get new bumpers but they dont offer my old style with wide moldings.I can get the ZR1 style with preformed moldings in the bumper that I can paint the preformed moldings black to retain that "line look" around the car but they dont offer better matching ones for the doors and fenders.

So what would you do or like if you were to replace your bumpers or moldings?
If youre a purist,we already know that answer,and thats to keep it as GM made it.I for one,dont like the crooked rubbery moldings on the cars but only like how they divide the paint.If I get bumpers with preformed moldings,I want door/fender moldings to match it.

Or Ill go wide style if they offered that kit to install on my current stock bumpers and body the way my current ones do.

What would like to see for something like this? All I ever see is upgrade to the later style look body kits.Its nice but too common and makes the car look like every other vette out there.

Old 12-12-2001, 03:09 PM
Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 84-90 Owners..(and everyone) Pls read/Post a Response (Bill's86Coupe)

Personally I prefer the stock look of my '89.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:10 PM
Mark 84ltblu
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SE Ohio Event Coordinator
CI-V Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Curise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: 84-90 Owners..(and everyone) Pls read/Post a Response (Bill's86Coupe)

I would replace the ones on the 84 with a replica of the original if it were available.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:21 PM
dmalhi1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 84-90 Owners..(and everyone) Pls read/Post a Response (Mark 84ltblu)

i prefer the look my 88 has how it is......
i also like the later style with the body colored moldings
but you know what i like to say

if you want to change an 84-90 to look like a 91-96 ??...... just go buy the whole damn car.....

:D
Old 12-12-2001, 04:06 PM
BOBA VETT
Racer

I like the idea of the easy bolt on wide molding. I'm contemplating the 91 up grade right now. Depends how cheep I can find good parts. Either way I want everything to match the easiest way.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:35 PM
Casper
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 84-90 Owners..(and everyone) Pls read/Post a Response (BOBA VETT)

I'll stick with the narrow molding.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:42 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

It's a good idea you have. I will support it even though I personally prefer the belt line molding look. At first, I wanted to get rid of it and then about 6 months to a year later it grew on me so much that I have started to think that it looks awsome with it. The only body upgrade I want is the ZR-1 look alike bumper only because I prefer the rear bumper of the 91-96 but I still want the belt line moldings.

Good idea though.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:00 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Narrow molding for me.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:00 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: 84-90 Owners..(and everyone) Pls read/Post a Response (85WHITEZ51)

Guys,If you read the post carefully,I dont want to ugrade the car to look like the newer ones.If they offered wide moldings to bolt on to my current bumpers,Id get that.It would give a nice look.

However,also in the post,is about the narrow molding belt line..the problem with getting a ZR1 replica bumper is you need to buy actual ZR1 black rubber moldings and you cant get them anymore or soon they wont be available.You dont use your stock moldings to transfer.So they offer a bumper with that narrow molding already preformed.

Thats fine but it wont look like the moldings on the door,and they dont sell replacements for the doors that will match the bumpers.Same narrow size yes,but different material and appearance.
I like the look of the 90 ZR1 style too and is the upgrade im doing,but wanted to suggest other ideas as well.If I cant get the moldings for the ZR1 bumper,I dont think ill want the bumpers then.

Old 12-12-2001, 09:10 PM
kd4pbs
Instructor

I'd have to vote for someone to make these bolt on wide moldings. I would never use them, but it's a good idea to have as many options as possible. When I restored my '84, I had to buy all new molding because some dumfluck painted the old ones to match the body. Not only did I have to pay an arm and a leg for all the molding, one of them I could not get new (left rear, from plicense plate to left side). I had to settle for a used piece and refurb it to new appearance. It would be nice if people had a choice, especially if it were cheaper (I may have considered doing this if they were cheaper and available).
Old 12-12-2001, 09:20 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

You're not going to like what I am going to say....but try it anyway...See how much(And I can get you a nose for $100 right now) everything Lt-1 is....then go from there. I'd bet you can get all the bumpers/lights etc. for under $1500.

JD
Old 12-12-2001, 10:26 PM
SaveTheWave
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S. Indiana Events Coordinator
Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: 84-90 Owners..(and everyone) Pls read/Post a Response (JD 90 383)

the only thing I like about the 91 - up Vette is the wrap around front bumper.
I like the black molding and square rear end on my '89.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:27 PM
Radio Joe
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Bill,
When I put Franken-Vette together, I upgraded the rear bumper, gills and side mouldings to the new style, but dont have enough money for the front bumper. I too was looking for a bolt on front bumper moulding in the wide style. I like the idea!!! I was gonna try and make something to put on the bumper for now until I could afford a whole new bumper. I am really suprised that this isnt already in production. Let me know if I can help trying to get this produced.
JD 90 383- Are you saying you have a new style bumper for sale for 100 bucks??? If so, and Bill doesnt jump on it, let me know!
:D
Old 12-12-2001, 10:54 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: 84-90 Owners..(and everyone) Pls read/Post a Response (Radio Joe)

Hey guys,thanks for the replies!
JD,I hear ya man..I have thought about upgrading all the way but dont want to go that far right now.
Radio joe, if JD has a bumper, go for it if ya need it.It will be some time before I can figure out what to do..the problem with our cars,theyre old to a point GM stops selling stuff we need,and wont be a while until the aftermarket makes it.
:)

Get notified of new replies

To 84-90 Owners..(and everyone) Pls read/Post a Response

Quick Reply: 84-90 Owners..(and everyone) Pls read/Post a Response