Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How do you bypass the courtesy light delay on a 88 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:09 PM
SpeedyKev42
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you bypass the courtesy light delay on a 88 Corvette?

Just wondering if I can bypass the courtesy light delay switch rather than go buy a new one.... Any wires that I can reroute to just get the light to go off instantly when the doors are closed?
Old 04-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyKev42
Just wondering if I can bypass the courtesy light delay switch rather than go buy a new one.... Any wires that I can reroute to just get the light to go off instantly when the doors are closed?
I would love to know the answer to this question also !

Vic
Old 04-13-2008, 10:20 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I think that once you can get to it and pull it toward you, all you have to do is splice all the white wires together. I think there are 3 of them. One single and two that are paired up. You can leave it plugged in, since this will bypass the relay. This is the way it is on my '85, I don't have the FSM for the later years but they might be the same. The only difficulty is getting to the relay since it was behind the breadbox taped to the wiring harness. A tight fit to get to without also dropping the ECM.
Art
Old 04-13-2008, 10:39 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

There is a simpler way to bypass the relay too. Run a short piece of wire, preferably white and the same gauge as the white wire that is going to the door pin switch between the hinges. Tap into the white wire and run it to the footwell light under the dash. This light also has a white wire going to the lamp, tap into this one with the white wire coming from the door pin switch. This should bypass the relay also. I'm guessing the RH side would be easier to do, but I'm sure it will work if you did it on the LH side. Essentially all the dome light relay is doing is grounding the white wires that go to your interior lights. Since the door pin switch also goes to ground it will do the same thing the relay did. Technically, the door pin switch is a trigger for the relay to ground the white wires going to your interior lights, it's just using a delay timer to hold the circuit to ground until it times out then opens the circuit. Another function of the delay timer is to turn off the interior lights when you turn your ignition key to the run position. If it didn't turn off the interior lights then the delay timer would leave the interior lights on til it timed out. Just some more useless, technical information.

Art

Last edited by MrRenoman; 04-13-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Cut and paste from one of "Hooked On Vettes" great replies.

If the Courtesy Lamp Delay timer is bad, you can buy a replacement or bypass it. To bypass it at the Courtesy Lamp Delay timer connector, you cut the white wire at Pin A and cut the two white wires at Pin D. Solder the three white wires together. This will cause the courtesy lights to come on when the doors are opened and go out when the doors are closed. There will be no delay time out for the courtesy lights.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 PM
lgolson
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrRenoman
There is a simpler way to bypass the relay too. Run a short piece of wire, preferably white and the same gauge as the white wire that is going to the door pin switch between the hinges. Tap into the white wire and run it to the footwell light under the dash. This light also has a white wire going to the lamp, tap into this one with the white wire coming from the door pin switch. This should bypass the relay also. I'm guessing the RH side would be easier to do, but I'm sure it will work if you did it on the LH side. Essentially all the dome light relay is doing is grounding the white wires that go to your interior lights. Since the door pin switch also goes to ground it will do the same thing the relay did. Technically, the door pin switch is a trigger for the relay to ground the white wires going to your interior lights, it's just using a delay timer to hold the circuit to ground until it times out then opens the circuit. Another function of the delay timer is to turn off the interior lights when you turn your ignition key to the run position. If it didn't turn off the interior lights then the delay timer would leave the interior lights on til it timed out. Just some more useless, technical information.

Art
This worked on my 86 as well. In my case however, I had to do this for both the driver and passenger side. It was a 5-10 minute fix and now I can see inside at night!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:15 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Cut and paste from one of "Hooked On Vettes" great replies.

If the Courtesy Lamp Delay timer is bad, you can buy a replacement or bypass it. To bypass it at the Courtesy Lamp Delay timer connector, you cut the white wire at Pin A and cut the two white wires at Pin D. Solder the three white wires together. This will cause the courtesy lights to come on when the doors are opened and go out when the doors are closed. There will be no delay time out for the courtesy lights.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:09 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of the upper tier cars now a days have delays for interior and head lights and people expect this, the C4's were ahead of the curve on this feature
Old 09-13-2010, 02:37 AM
starlifter1
1st Gear

Where is the timer relay located? My courtesy lights click on and never go out
Old 09-13-2010, 09:00 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Originally Posted by starlifter1
Where is the timer relay located? My courtesy lights click on and never go out
If your vette is 89 or older, it's supposed to be taped to large wire harness, behind passenger side dash.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:37 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I know this is an older thread, but just in case someone is looking at archives

When we were making the delay timer boards we kept getting request for a by-pass board. So we made both. Either board will fit in the factory box and installation only takes a few seconds. This gives the car owner the opportunity to either keep the delay or to by-pass it all together and make the lamps work off the jamb switch.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:05 PM
LaVidaLoca
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option is to just unplug the board. You can then turn the lights on and off manually at the courtesy light or by turning the headlight switch. You can have the lights when you want them and leave them off when you don't.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Ant1981
Instructor

So if cutting wires bypasses the timer, then what is the purpose of the electronics on this bypass board?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Good question. I was wondering the same thing.

Originally Posted by Ant1981
So if cutting wires bypasses the timer, then what is the purpose of the electronics on this bypass board?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:39 PM
LaVidaLoca
Pro

The purpose of the bypass board is that you don't have to cut and crimp wires and then you can put it back to stock if you want to. I can see where some people might want to do that.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Ant1981
Instructor

Originally Posted by LaVidaLoca
The purpose of the bypass board is that you don't have to cut and crimp wires and then you can put it back to stock if you want to. I can see where some people might want to do that.
Read my question again.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you bypass the courtesy light delay on a 88 Corvette?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:46 PM
LaVidaLoca
Pro

Read my question again.
OK. I retract my answer.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Can the board go bad and let only work one bulb?

My driver side bulb works with the timer.

My pass side does not gt power, bulb is good, jamb switch is good.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:13 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Originally Posted by LD85
Can the board go bad and let only work one bulb?
No

All the light sockets should have power, the timer supplies ground. There should be 3 lights on, on each side of interior. Footwell, door and cargo.

You only have one ?

Quick Reply: How do you bypass the courtesy light delay on a 88 Corvette?