C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:19 PM
yourboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint

I was just wordering who has painted there car? How much was it? How much was it to get the paint taken off the fiberglass?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

bump
Old 04-22-2008, 04:23 PM
zeus
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been a topic of discussion over the past couple months several times. I am in the process of having my car done, been at it since the week before Thanksgiving. It cost me about 1500.00 to have the whole car soda blasted. Then you have several layers of high build primer to apply and sand to restore the surface before you can paint. The thing you have to decide is what you are going to do be worth it to you. By the time i am done in the next couple of weeks with stripping, paint and weatherstripping, and miscelanious item I should be near 10K in my 95's makeover. Was it worth it? Realistically, NO. I could have easily taken the car and the 10K and progressed to something in the C5 family or GS or CE. But, this car holds a high amount of sentimental value and my plans are to never part with it. Hope this has helped and check some of the other post. My only advice is to do your homework and decide what you really want. Set a budget and dont just let any moron ahold of the car because they say they can paint. If you dont plan on keeping the car what you do now will certainly affect your re-sale and the next poor schlub will have to correct the outcome of your choice.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:46 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

You could spend 1k, 15k or anywhere in between. It all depends where you go and what kind of quality you want
Old 04-22-2008, 05:25 PM
TPIGUY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus
This has been a topic of discussion over the past couple months several times. I am in the process of having my car done, been at it since the week before Thanksgiving. It cost me about 1500.00 to have the whole car soda blasted. Then you have several layers of high build primer to apply and sand to restore the surface before you can paint. The thing you have to decide is what you are going to do be worth it to you. By the time i am done in the next couple of weeks with stripping, paint and weatherstripping, and miscelanious item I should be near 10K in my 95's makeover. Was it worth it? Realistically, NO. I could have easily taken the car and the 10K and progressed to something in the C5 family or GS or CE. But, this car holds a high amount of sentimental value and my plans are to never part with it. Hope this has helped and check some of the other post. My only advice is to do your homework and decide what you really want. Set a budget and dont just let any moron ahold of the car because they say they can paint. If you dont plan on keeping the car what you do now will certainly affect your re-sale and the next poor schlub will have to correct the outcome of your choice.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
You could spend 1k, 15k or anywhere in between. It all depends where you go and what kind of quality you want
That's it in a nutshell. Maaco will shoot it for about $600....it goes up from there. Find the balance of price / quality that will make you happy. For some folks the impulse is to buy the absolute best paint money can buy....and then they're scared to death to drive the car for fear of that inevitable rock chip. My advice is to reserve that kind of paint for museum pieces that seldom if ever see the light of day. Corvettes were made to be driven....and the fun can quickly vaporize if you're paranoid about the car. I spent $2850 to have the car stripped and shot in base / clear back in 2001. It looks great and has held up well, but the occasional stray pebble doesn't send me into a frenzy.

If you want your car stipped bare before it's painted, you can always do that part yourself and then farm out the respray. The bulk of painting expense and effort is in the prep.

It also comes down to which you have more of....time or money.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 AM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have had it blasted but, Im on a budget so I took it down my self.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1992956

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1883842

Get notified of new replies

To Paint

Quick Reply: Paint