C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Toluene and Acetone

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Ryan59
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toluene and Acetone

I mix 1 cup of Toluene to 5 gallons of gasoline and 1 cup of Acetone to 15 gallons of gasoline. The Toluene bumps up the octain a few points and the Acetone seems to clear up black soot in the exhaust, I'm not exactly sure what it does but it hasn't hurt vehicles I've used it in over the years.

My question is mostly for the injector tech's. Does the Toluene affect injector O-rings. I see alcohol as the worce thing you can add to gasolene. People "gasp" when I tell them I mix these things in my cars tank. To be honest, I've used Toluene in my motorcycles since the mid-seventies and in a turbocharged fuel injected bike without any noticable problems over a five year period.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:01 PM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan59
I mix 1 cup of Toluene to 5 gallons of gasoline and 1 cup of Acetone to 15 gallons of gasoline. The Toluene bumps up the octain a few points and the Acetone seems to clear up black soot in the exhaust, I'm not exactly sure what it does but it hasn't hurt vehicles I've used it in over the years.

My question is mostly for the injector tech's. Does the Toluene affect injector O-rings. I see alcohol as the worce thing you can add to gasolene. People "gasp" when I tell them I mix these things in my cars tank. To be honest, I've used Toluene in my motorcycles since the mid-seventies and in a turbocharged fuel injected bike without any noticable problems over a five year period.
Toluene exists in gasoline so it would not hurt rubber seals at all. I would be worried about the acetone though as it is a much more potent solvent and is much more likely to attack certain plastics and dry up and harden rubber components. If using acetone, I would use far less than you are currently using.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:28 PM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Toluene is fine to use I know several people that have for years with no problem. I have heard people using acetone however I would not try it.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Vetterin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been reported the adding 1 to 3 onces of acetone to 10+ gallons of gas will increase the mpg noticably. Also cuts the soot/black smoke in diesels and car exhaust, however I can't verify this as I have never tried it.

Last edited by Vetterin; 05-12-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:48 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Where do you buy toulene? Id like to test your theory.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:05 PM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KCHOTBOAT
Toluene is fine to use I know several people that have for years with no problem. I have heard people using acetone however I would not try it.
Toluene is fine to use in moderation.. it will not harm the injectors as far as I can tell. However, if you have a 94 or older multec.. DO NOT USE ACETONE. it will quickly deteriorate the seal between the injector orfice and the coil housing.. once the coil gets contamenated it will fail. Once one fails the others will soon follow. Pre 88 uses Bosch or Lucas injectors that acetone will not harm. Newer Bosch injectors are 100% complient to fuel additives, alcohol, and propane fuels because of their stainless steel construction. I cannot tell you how acetone affects other parts of the fuel system.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Ryan59
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. I have probably been using too much Acetone. As mentioned, nothing bad happening so far. I do notice the exhaust stays clean. Fuels vary depending on regions. Whatever our "blend" contains, it's normal to see black soot in and around exhaust tips & surrounding bodywork. Doesn't matter what make of car or motorcycle.

Toluene is an old racers secret to bump up octane. It works. If you use too much, your exhaust will have a sweet smell to it. Around here it's tough to find because it can be misused to get high. I have to order it in five gallon containers at $85.00 from an automotive paint supply business. I am a regular customer so they know I'm not abusing it in other ways.

The highest octane around these parts is 91, and that could contain alcohol. A law was passed that pumps do not need to be labeled if the fuel contains alcohol. I haven't checked on this myself, but I was told race fuel is $10.00 a gallon this year. Is this true???
Old 05-13-2008, 05:06 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.... I haven't checked on this myself, but I was told race fuel is $10.00 a gallon this year. Is this true???
Here in Italy $10.00 a gallon is the standard price at the gas station..
Old 05-13-2008, 07:41 AM
MightyMike
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Xylene in my GN for a couple of years. I had an Alky kit. Worked well. No knock under high boost.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 AM
or92vette
Burning Brakes

For general interest:

Toluene is the second "T" in Tri-Nitro-Toluene. Also known as TNT.

That is all.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Ryan59
Drifting

I have a turbocharged motorcycle that I modified the turbocharger myself. It can make 30psi of boost and stay together. It uses VP C16 race fuel.

If anyone decides to play with mixing. Please, do it outside and wear some kind of protective eyewear. I had no idea Toluene was used for anything other then paint thinner and as a model car glue carrier. Be careful out there!!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:11 PM
tcr75
Racer

I have used acetone for years in cars. I primarily use it to clean out the top end and when I use it I only add a few ounces per tank once a month or so. At that rate it is so concentrated that it will not cause harm.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:13 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Gasoline already contains up to 15% alcohol.

Get notified of new replies

To Toluene and Acetone

Quick Reply: Toluene and Acetone