Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1990 Power issues, Anyone familar???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:59 PM
nosvet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Power issues, Anyone familar???

Folks,

I'm looking at a 1990 Convertible that seems to be in pretty good condition overall. My only concerns were that the dash gauages seem to be off and the car does not seem to have the torque that I remember from my older 84 and 85 vettes.

Anyone familar with any issues with this year model? The oil gauage is reading almost no oil pressure and the temp gauage is pinned at 270 even though the car is running good,

The seller just took it to a GM dealer who basically indaicted the car was fine with the exception of the gauages.

He was originally asking 8900 but we've been talking about a price around 7900. Any thoughts from those that have more experience than I?

Thanks
Chris NOSVET
Old 06-02-2008, 06:33 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the tach work? The clusters on 90's are prone to fail. The cluster on my 90 had a bad tach and oil pressure guage. I replaced the cluster with one from a 92, problem solved! As to why the car has no torque, that can be many things.
How many miles?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:03 PM
frontier1111
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a bad tach, Which is now fixed by chevy.. Still have an inflation restraint and seat belt warning lights up. chevy says thy can't find the parts for airbag sensor. 90s airbag system is unique for that year. So I'm told. BTW No torque problems with my car.

Last edited by frontier1111; 06-02-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-02-2008, 08:23 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by nosvet
Folks,

I'm looking at a 1990 Convertible that seems to be in pretty good condition overall. My only concerns were that the dash gauages seem to be off and the car does not seem to have the torque that I remember from my older 84 and 85 vettes.

Anyone familar with any issues with this year model? The oil gauage is reading almost no oil pressure and the temp gauage is pinned at 270 even though the car is running good,

The seller just took it to a GM dealer who basically indaicted the car was fine with the exception of the gauages.

He was originally asking 8900 but we've been talking about a price around 7900. Any thoughts from those that have more experience than I?

Thanks
Chris NOSVET
Run, Chris, Run. Now is a buyers market because of the economy. I'm sure you could find a better Vette that has been taken care of and if the dash guages are not working you can bet there are alot more problems unidentified no matter what that stealership mechanic says. He maybe already planning a vacation to Hawaii next winter on your dime. Let the buyer beware.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I too have the Inflation and seatbelt light on. No tach issues yet
and no problem with torque on my '90 with aprox. 52,000 miles
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 Power issues, Anyone familar???

Quick Reply: 1990 Power issues, Anyone familar???