C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

pictures of 1984 A/c compressor brackets

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
1982TPIVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pictures of 1984 A/c compressor brackets

I need to see pictures of brackets related to the a/c compressor for a 1984 vettes serpentine system. I have the tensioner bracket but I would think there is more to mounting the compressor then just this. Anyone who has any Illustration pictures of how everything bolts up I'de appreciate them posting them and or close up pictures of how its all mounted.

I bought what was said to be a complete 84 system but there are some silver rod type braces I have no idea where they go.

Help if you can LOL
Old 07-15-2008, 01:30 PM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont know if this will help , 1985

Old 07-15-2008, 02:34 PM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-15-2008, 05:44 PM
1982TPIVette
Intermediate

thanks but I am fairly certain 1984 was different though. I see in that picture the power steering resovoir is mounted to the radiator shroud, on this 84 vette setup it is mounted to the upper alternator brace .... well unless this isn't really a corvette serpentine system LOL.

I do see the a/c compressor in that picture looks to have a aluminum brace on the paasenger side bolt holes. See what I have it appears my belt tensioner takes up two of the four a/c compressors bolt holes so there has to be something else I am missing.

I will try an post some pictures of what all I have so someone can tell me if in fact it is a vette serpentine system an where all this stuff goes and how it bolts up correctly.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:28 PM
tdonlin
Instructor

Will this work? I can go out and take a specific if you need one.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 AM
1982TPIVette
Intermediate

tdonlin

Yes that very much resembles what I have. is there another brace for the a/c compressor besides the one that holds the belt tensioner? Mine seems like the belt tensioner brace uses the two inside bolt holes on the compressor but I dont see what would go into the other two holes to secure it or does it bolt straight into the head.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Its been awhile but I think the silver round bracket comes off a long manifold stud and goes to the back,bottom of the A.C compressor.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^That is correct, it does bolt to the top of the intake manifold and then to the back of the compressor itself. There are two that do this, I'll have to look in a second....or have another cup of coffee first.

You can see one/almost both of the braces on tdonlins picture. you see about one inch of the brace going under the Air hose from the smog pump and disappearing under the breather.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:53 PM
tgtexas02
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 184 Posts

Hopefully you have resolved your A/C mounting. I just looked at mine as I just took it off to do some work. Mine has 3-mounting points: from radiator side top bolt is a long bolt through bracket into the bracket, from the radiator side bottom bolt through compressor into the head, and the support brace goes to the bottom back of compressor and attaches to the very front exhaust manifold stud. Need anything else let me know as I have much of mine apart right now.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:44 AM
1982TPIVette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tgtexas02
Hopefully you have resolved your A/C mounting. I just looked at mine as I just took it off to do some work. Mine has 3-mounting points: from radiator side top bolt is a long bolt through bracket into the bracket, from the radiator side bottom bolt through compressor into the head, and the support brace goes to the bottom back of compressor and attaches to the very front exhaust manifold stud. Need anything else let me know as I have much of mine apart right now.
If you could take close up pictures of everything that would be great. This is all going on my 82 so I am hoping it has the appropriate accessory holes in the heads to mount it all.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:10 PM
tdonlin
Instructor

1982TPIVette, I hurt my back last weekend and have been home on meds all week so haven't really been up to going out and taking pics. Feelin a little better so took some more pics for you. Hope some of these help. Seems like photobucket now resizes everything. If you want larger pics let me know and I'll email them. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:18 PM
1982TPIVette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tdonlin
1982TPIVette, I hurt my back last weekend and have been home on meds all week so haven't really been up to going out and taking pics. Feelin a little better so took some more pics for you. Hope some of these help. Seems like photobucket now resizes everything. If you want larger pics let me know and I'll email them. Good luck.

Thank You

Those pictures answered my question completely! The stuff that was sent to me has those support rods as well so it's complete. I was just expecting to find a cradle type brace like the 85 vettes have.
Now it's time to polish and chrome everything and see if it will in fact fit my 82..

Thanks again guys for your help. Tdonlins pictures match everything that was sent to me so this is for sure a 1984 corvette system.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 PM
1982TPIVette
Intermediate

Offhand ... what was the amperage rating of the 84 alternator? I am running 90 TPI electronics so it does like a certain amount of amps. But if the 84 alternator can make 100amps it should do just fine.

I will post pictures of my little project after everything is all polished and chromed. I am also going to run dual LT-1 fans and all. I have most of the TPI system polished now .... Even pondered with putting CFI back on the car because it would look nice all polished out with a chrome air cleaner lid. But TPI polished looks bad *** as well LOL. Tough choice, since the car isn't meant for speed but looks.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:32 AM
tgtexas02
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 184 Posts

Been looking for amp rating of stock 84 alternator and simply cannot remember where I had it. I seem to recall that it was one of the lower rated alternators for Corvettes but almost sure it was rated over 100 amps. Wait-----if you have a Corvette Central catalog look there. Think it shows ratings!

Get notified of new replies

To pictures of 1984 A/c compressor brackets

Quick Reply: pictures of 1984 A/c compressor brackets