C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

89 air conditioner compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:30 PM
IndianLan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 air conditioner compressor

Hi, all. My AC went out and the compressor and clutch assembly must be replaced. I found one on GMparts direct but can't get confirmation that the complete clutch assembly is attached and complete. Has anyone ordered one and knows firsthand or does anyone know where I can get a compressor and complete clutch assembly that does not cost an arm and a leg? It is hot and your help will be appreciated!lol

IndianLan
Old 07-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Tubbyvette
Heel & Toe

May only end up costing a leg and the arm up to the elbow, but I hope it saves you a little time. Customer service is top shelf.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-3-136-3819.html
Old 07-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Eddywill
Racer

I need a clutch is that an easy replacement? Pull the belt, unbolt old clutch, bolt on new clutch, replace belt - chill out?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:08 PM
IndianLan
Advanced

Default out of them

Originally Posted by Tubbyvette
May only end up costing a leg and the arm up to the elbow, but I hope it saves you a little time. Customer service is top shelf.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-3-136-3819.html
Tubby, thanks for the help. They do not have it in stock and am still looking.

IndianLan
Old 07-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Tubbyvette
Heel & Toe

Hmmm...It appears finding one in-hand may be an issue regardless of vendor. The link below is special order as well, but at least it's another source for you to compare. Good luck!

http://www.corvettepartscatalog.com/...oducts_id=8364
Old 07-21-2008, 11:31 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Before you start, make sure it is just the clutch - can you still turn the outer hub by hand? Clutch assemblys should be plentiful - used from '88 to '96, though sometime around '93 the electrical connector may be a little different. NAPA and the discounters usually have a stocking number too - check their web sites. X-reference vehicle usuage at www.acdelco.com. To R & R, grab the outer hub with a strap wrench or some oil wrench pliers. Remove the 10 mm bolt. Gently tap or pry off the outer hub and hold your hand underneath it to catch any shims. Pulley and the coil underneath it are held on with snap rings. Installation is the reverse and aftermarket kits usually come with new snap rings and a shim kit (the OEM doesn't - you have to buy them separately). Make sure the snap rings are fully seated or it'll fall apart (and ruin it) the minute you start it. Shim the outer hub until there is an .020 inch air gap between it and the pulley (count on pulling it off once or twice). Get it too tight and the smell from the friction will overwhelm you. Get it too large and it'll engage with a loud clunk. Torque the retaining bolt to 10 ft/lbs - don't go ape on it or you'll crush the shim or damage the shaft seal.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Eddywill
Racer

SUNCR I have not tackled this yet too busy over the weekend with Weatherstrips - The noise seems to be there when the ac is on and off but it sounds like worn bearing - will the clutch resolve this issue?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:02 AM
IndianLan
Advanced

I located what was supposed to be one at one of the corvette part places. When I showed it to my mechanic ( the drawing) He said it has a clutch but that is not what your condensor looks like. Yours is not flat.
Sind it was nonreturnable I told him to locate and install one. When his arrived it was flat. He had to return it and get the correct one.

Just wanted to mention it because I am sure glad I didn't spend $470.00 for a condensor and clutch that would not fit.

IndianLan

Last edited by IndianLan; 07-28-2008 at 02:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know what you mean by Condensor - that's in front of the Radiator and has nothing to do with the clutch. The clutch assembly consists of the Face Plate or Outer Hub, the Pulley and then the Coil. If you mean the Face Plate of the replacement clutch looked different, that's just an aftermarket part and it doesn't effect performance. If you were concerned about it looking stock, than the OEM clutch assembly is the only way to achieve that. Aftermarket assemblys are usually $150; the OEM (acdelco) $250. The OEM doesn't include a shim kit either which is needed to set the air gap between the Face Plate and the Pulley. That'll set you back another $12 - which for 4 or 5 one quarter inch washers isn't much of a bargain either.

Get notified of new replies

To 89 air conditioner compressor

Quick Reply: 89 air conditioner compressor