Radar

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 11:36 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Default Radar

How do tinted windows affect radar or radar detectos? Also, I live in Virginia where radar detectors are illegal...is it true that radar detectors can be detected....or just seen when hanging in the window? Thanks!!
Old 01-01-2002, 11:40 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Radar (IMXCITD)

Some radar detectors can be detected (the technology is called VG-2, there may be others), most new ones are undetectable tho. This is the one I got, but I got it here.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:52 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Radar (IMXCITD)

Most tints don't affect radar, however, some car makers (BMW for one) on some models, put a windshield defroster in and this totally reflects radar. I believe Ford did this on a few models and left a rectangle at the top of the windshield free of the defroster conductor. Some tints are made by a very thin vapor deposition of metal, and these reflect radar. Dyes and plastic films don't do anything to radar, but can attenuate lazer depending on what the dye or film is made of.
The least expensive way to make a superheterodyne radar detector is to use a local oscillator at 11.5 GHz and some of this signal is radiated which is detected by a product (a receiver) called VG-1 and 2 used by police where detectors aren't allowed. The Valentine 1 does not use this frequency scheme and therefore does not set off VG-1/2's. Of course if you hit your brakes when they illuminate you, then they know that you must have a detector.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:26 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Default Re: Radar (jfb)

I see. Thanks for the info.!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Radar

Quick Reply: Radar