C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Why all the C4 haters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 01:32 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Default Why all the C4 haters?

I see threads, mostly in the Off Topic forum indicating a fair amount of C4 hate. What's up with that? Or are people just giving up the friendly ribbing?

This is my second thread on this forum. My first was to solicit your opinions on the best C4 to buy (to keep my other 'vette company).
Old 08-27-2008, 02:36 AM
84REDCROSSFIRE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
I see threads, mostly in the Off Topic forum indicating a fair amount of C4 hate. What's up with that? Or are people just giving up the friendly ribbing?

This is my second thread on this forum. My first was to solicit your opinions on the best C4 to buy (to keep my other 'vette company).
It just seems sometimes that all the hate comes from the new C6 owners with their BIG monthly payments.
How unfair is it that for 10% of the cost of a new vette anybody can buy a C4, and be a Corvette owner.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 AM
nitronick
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
You need to understand that OT is full of high-rollin' ballas....Multi-billionaires with super-model wives. They own several 50k+ sq. ft. houses and have Lambos, Ferraris, Bugatti Veyrons and the like. They light their real cuban cigars with $1K bills. They never wear the same pair of socks, shoes, underwear or any piece of clothing twice. They never eat from any plate more than once.
The only reason they might have a new Vette is for their Daily driver, and they change them like they change their socks, though they would never openly admit they actually own a domestic automobile.

That or they actually drive a Ford Taurus and are of jealous of any Corvette.....
Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 AM
nitronick
Race Director

Or it could just be an ongoing joke
Old 08-27-2008, 04:02 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nitronick
You need to understand that OT is full of high-rollin' ballas....Multi-billionaires with super-model wives. They own several 50k+ sq. ft. houses and have Lambos, Ferraris, Bugatti Veyrons and the like. They light their real cuban cigars with $1K bills. They never wear the same pair of socks, shoes, underwear or any piece of clothing twice. They never eat from any plate more than once.
The only reason they might have a new Vette is for their Daily driver, and they change them like they change their socks, though they would never openly admit they actually own a domestic automobile.

That or they actually drive a Ford Taurus and are of jealous of any Corvette.....
I knew there was a reason I never went to OT! My socks have holes in them.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:03 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The C4 is the unloved baby of the family.People outside this forum want a "classic" or hi tech car
Pickup any Corvette book and see how many pages are devoted to C4's.Some only talk about ZR1's.
Good for us; unpopular car = cheaper.
Put one in storage until people appreciate them.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 AM
Movnviolation
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever stood back and taken a good look at your C-4? Damn good looking car. Nice lines, nice stance. The car can be bought very reasonably, and for 4-5 grand you can blow the doors off of most cars out there. Rides, drives like a sports car, and left stock, they are still fun to drive. They are a pain in the *** to get into, ( I am big and old) but once in, I am comfortable.
I personally don't care about the wave. If someone waves, I will return it if I see it. This is my toy that I can take apart and put back together and do it at my leisure. The car is a money pit, but it is my money pit.
There are some ratty C-4's out there, however there are some nice C-4's out there also. There are some ratty C-5's out there now.
I drive an 89 six spd. I can afford a C-5 or C-6 but I have what I want like a lot of others on here.
Enjoy your car and to hell with those that don't like it!!

Last edited by Movnviolation; 08-27-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:24 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I enjoy my C4 and that's all that matters to me.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:34 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

It's just their age right now. They're the cheapest generation out there, which leads to people being jealous of the bang-for-the-buck. That's what it all comes down to, IMHO. The C5 is rapidly taking over as the new unwanted-generation. You can already get one for cheaper than I bought my LT4. As soon as the C7 comes out, they'll be dealing with the same 'ribbing' we are right now.

It's almost entirely restricted to the internet though. Meet a real corvette-enthusiast in the real world and 99% chance they love Vettes of all generations.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:55 AM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Movnviolation
Have you ever stood back and taken a good look at your C-4? Damn good looking car. Nice lines, nice stance. The car can be bought very reasonably, and for 4-5 grand you can blow the doors off of most cars out there. Rides, drives like a sports car, and left stock, they are still fun to drive. They are a pain in the *** to get into, ( I am big and old) but once in, I am comfortable.
I personally don't care about the wave. If someone waves, I will return it if I see it. This is my toy that I can take apart and put back together and do it at my leisure. The car is a money pit, but it is my money pit.
There are some ratty C-4's out there, however there are some nice C-4's out there also. There are some ratty C-5's out there now.
I drive an 89 six spd. I can afford a C-5 or C-6 but I have what I want like a lot of others on here.
Enjoy your car and to hell with those that don't like it!!
Sometimes I miss the curves of my '82 that drove me almost nuts,and my new '87 is a trip getting into because I'm also an old phart,but all in all, I love it & wish I had purchased a C4 sooner in life!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:17 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you are either a car enthusiast or your not, for the most part, they are the people that don't wave, don't work on their cars and have no idea what being a real car enthusiast is about.

if you search all of their posts, you will see that they ring up a ton and in some cases nearly all of their posts discussing, body hair, and yuck yucks about others.

Personally, I don't ever see them on the street, most everyone I meet is pretty cool.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 86PACER

I feel fortunate to even have a Corvette!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2114879
Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 AM
jimmymack
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21,'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 86PACER
I appreciate all corvettes, every generation had some groundbreaking element that carried forward to the next one. I'm not losing any sleep over the people that hate C4's.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Rick Fierro
Instructor

Funny thing about C4 haters........There were more C4's built than just about any other Corvettes ever built. So it seems to me that C4's are the most popular Corvette ever made. Thats one reason the model will not be a big collector for some time.........but.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:43 AM
birddog85
Instructor

OT is basically an anything goes all out insult-0-pedia of useless but funny stuff that's totally worthless. That's what it's intended to be, so if you go there, be prepared.

Nothing should be taken personal, just know some that post there are full time jacka$$es that have more experience at being one than the rest of us.

As for those bashing C4s ,or bashing anything that isn't to their taste, well, those people are here today, gone tomorrow wannabe's. If they even own a Vette, they should realize their beloved C6 will be the lowly cheap Vette about the time ours is worth more, which is cool, as I'll find a mint low mileage 2008 model about that time and might even allow it to stay in the garage by my then highly desireable C4.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:44 AM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rick Fierro
Funny thing about C4 haters........There were more C4's built than just about any other Corvettes ever built. So it seems to me that C4's are the most popular Corvette ever made. Thats one reason the model will not be a big collector for some time.........but.
Wow! You and I agree on something. BTW, Rick - its nothing personal. I enjoy the banter.

Get notified of new replies

To Why all the C4 haters?

Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 AM
TNT-in-a-Skirt
Advanced

Correct me if I'm wrong ... and although its another "part" you have to fix I like the clean lines of the hidden headlights. When corvette came out with the "open" headlights I didn't like the look. The ones with the "Brand-spankin new" vettes are only tossing money around. Someone who owns a C4 or earlier knows the blood sweat and tears that goes into the cars we love. We baby them. Who knew that when Prince sang little red corvette he would be singing about the red headed step child? Well I was a step child once too and if I have to say so myself .... I turned out ok.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Rick Fierro
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheAngelOfDeath
Wow! You and I agree on something. BTW, Rick - its nothing personal. I enjoy the banter.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Fierro
Actually there were more C3s than any other generation:

C3 - 542,741 produced
C4 - 364,180 produced
C5 - 248,715 produced
C6 - 147,264 produced (thru 2008MY)
C2 - 117,964 produced
C1 - 69,015 produced

Interestingly enough, ZR-1s (as the pinnacle of C4 production) demand more in the marketplace than C5 Z06s. And C5s are still on a major depreciation downslope. All C1s, C2, and most C3s are already appreciating, the C4s have mostly stabilized (or bottomed out), and the C6s are starting their cost depreciation.

Quick Reply: Why all the C4 haters?