C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Do C4 have Cabin air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:20 AM
pt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do C4 have Cabin air filter?

This might be a stupid question or maybe not, but do C4 have a cabin air filter? I have a 94 and I was wonder if it does, were is it located? I read about c5 and c6 but nothing on c4. Thank you for you help.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:45 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by pt
This might be a stupid question or maybe not, but do C4 have a cabin air filter? I have a 94 and I was wonder if it does, were is it located? I read about c5 and c6 but nothing on c4. Thank you for you help.

No, not from the factory.

Used to be some aftermarket foam cutouts you could lay over the "grills" by the windshield wipers, but that's it.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:52 AM
pt
Instructor

Default filter

OH ok, thank you so much.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:53 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A foam filter was glued to the inlet side of the Evaporator. Not much use and hardly a servicable item. Most fall apart when the Evaporator starts leaking creating a gooey, plugged up mess that restricts air flow. If that happens, I wouldn't replace it (some suppliers still carry it).
Old 09-02-2008, 07:41 AM
larry00
Race Director

Originally Posted by SunCr
A foam filter was glued to the inlet side of the Evaporator. Not much use and hardly a servicable item. Most fall apart when the Evaporator starts leaking creating a gooey, plugged up mess that restricts air flow. If that happens, I wouldn't replace it (some suppliers still carry it).
Ah Hum ! We seem to have stumbled upon another of the few bad things about the C 4 .
Along with other GM products I found a thread [ I believe it might have been on Corvette Forum ] that someone had replaced his fan motor for his heater / AC and still wasn't getting much flow.
Causes were flap for heater / AC stuck or debris in the evaporator from the outside air inlet.

I was interested and paid attention because one of my Vettes and my old Chevy Truck both don't blow enough to suit me.
The truck has a new blower motor in it.
The fix was to expose the evaporator and tape a 1 in or 3/4 in. hose to the shop vac nozzle and get all you can off of it.
Really labor intensive and I'm dreading the job but the results are well worth it.
Of course check the usual things first like the gate for the AC/ heater boxes , the blower switch and the motor itself.
As these cars get older all those not garaged or covered will develop this kind of thing.
My truck shoots out the occasional small leaf from the inside vent.
GM's bad !
I am also hearing this alot and my Daughter's 2005 Trailblazer had to have a resistor replaced on her blower motor to the tune of $ 500.00.
Hers only had low speed.
If it had a service manual out I would have done it myself as the warranty had run out like a week before.

Last edited by larry00; 09-02-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

One of the Corvette parts catalogs has the foam cut outs that fit perfectly over the intake grills in front of the wind shield. It works just fine and you can wash it clean. I give it a
Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 AM
larry00
Race Director

Originally Posted by Strick
One of the Corvette parts catalogs has the foam cut outs that fit perfectly over the intake grills in front of the wind shield. It works just fine and you can wash it clean. I give it a
Would it be Ecklers ? I'm fixin to order a 160 degree thermostat and a new tray for the rear deck. I might had better order a new one of those too.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 AM
93v
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 93 had very bad air flow out the vents,a/c was cold but not much volume.Pulled the fan out stuck a mirror in the box,couldn't believe what I saw.My evaporator was about 70% clogged.Cleaned it off now it blows tons of cold air out the vents
Old 09-02-2008, 02:14 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd get someone to stick an electronic leak detector next to it first - alot of the time they're gunked up/falling apart because of compressor oil. Splitting the case to clean it isn't an easy task and if the Evaporator needs to be replaced, it's less frustrating if you only have to take it apart one time.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back to the OP's question - Has anyone tried using an air filter cut to fit these grill openings? If so is there a particular size that's a good start.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:55 PM
larry00
Race Director

Originally Posted by 93v
My 93 had very bad air flow out the vents,a/c was cold but not much volume.Pulled the fan out stuck a mirror in the box,couldn't believe what I saw.My evaporator was about 70% clogged.Cleaned it off now it blows tons of cold air out the vents
Yep that's what I hear too. Not looking forward to doing that one.
I did hear getting just what you can get will do the trick and you won't get it all.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:14 PM
RUSHTK
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Red fine dust

I have a 92 vert and when I ride with top down or windows open I get this fine almost pollen like dust. I was hoping it had a cabin filter.

Get notified of new replies

To Do C4 have Cabin air filter?

Quick Reply: Do C4 have Cabin air filter?