C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

These Michelin tires any good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:50 AM
VETTEHIGH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default These Michelin tires any good?

I can get a new pair of P315/35ZR17 MICHELIN SPORT XGT PLUS TYPE G3E TIRES for around $250.00 shipped. Any good???????
Old 09-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Spinner_89
Pro

Originally Posted by VETTEHIGH
I can get a new pair of P315/35ZR17 MICHELIN SPORT XGT PLUS TYPE G3E TIRES for around $250.00 shipped. Any good???????
Sounds like the same tires I ran a few years ago. (280 TWR)
+ AMAZING in the rain, very nice cruizing tire, comfortable & quite, reasonable grip for the highway.
- Not a Solo 1 or 2 tire.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 AM
VETTEHIGH
Pro

Originally Posted by Spinner_89
Sounds like the same tires I ran a few years ago. (280 TWR)
+ AMAZING in the rain, very nice cruizing tire, comfortable & quite, reasonable grip for the highway.
- Not a Solo 1 or 2 tire.

Does it matter if the rear tires are a different make and model then the fronts? For example, can you have 275/40/17 GY's in the front and 315/35/17 BFG's in the rear??
Old 09-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Spinner_89
Pro

muha'ahha'ha'haha'ha'a....... It depends on whom you ask.... Some people will talk you out of it, if not for a sales pitch, jsut for the sake of having a balanced car. (I'm not a good enough driver to tell the difference in 10 or 20 lbs of traction on a short course.) and I know this may get some flaming attention - but eventually you need to do what's right for you and your driving style and your car.

I've done this for quite some time, and with miss matched front & rears and still was able to keep up with "new cars" with "new tires".

the setup I have ended up with over the past few years has been:
Started with 275/40/17 Michelin XGT's on all four.
Installed 275/40/17 BFG Comp T/A's on the rear. (mfg in 1998, just replaced a month ago)
Installed 275/40/17 Hankook Ventus on the front.
Installed 285/40/17 Goodyear GSD3's on the rear.
I kept getting the tires I could, at the price I could afford. Each time I tried to match the fronts & rears, however, no such luck.

Next spring I'll be putting on a full set of Bridgestone Wide Oval's on all four.

the problem to look out for is that you may - will have a difference in traction and the way the tires heat and cool as they have different rubber compounds and tread design's.

If you're not being competitive, it's your call... and ALWAYS put the limiting (lesser) of the tires on the drives. .:. so as long as your steer tires are better than your drives, you shouldn't get into too much trouble.

P.S. I've done really well in a Western Canadian Competition this year with this tire combination - trying to become a better driver, on "old / crappy tires" next year I'll try to remain as smooth as I've become this year and hopefully increase my points standings for.

Have Fun out there !!!

Last edited by Spinner_89; 09-19-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To These Michelin tires any good?

Quick Reply: These Michelin tires any good?