Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1984 Corvette Headlights Go in Opposite Direction!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:25 PM
buckeyegoose
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Corvette Headlights Go in Opposite Direction!!!

1984 Corvette- I recently bought rebuilt headlight motors. Passenger side works fine, driver side stays closed. Had my brother look at them-(master mechanic) and he couldn't figure it out- stating relays are good, wiring is good. I took apart both passenger and driver side to compare. They were wired different on the inside. So I copied the passenger side wiring and now the drivers side headlight motor Opens when the light switch is Off and Closes when the switch is pulled On.?. I plugged the passenger side into drivers side and it works fine. Then I plugged the driver side into the passenger side and it still is backwards just to double check.
Any Ideas??? And does anyone have an internal wiring diagram for the headlight motors.

Thanks!!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:21 PM
TeknoMaeg
Instructor

Find your positive and swap it...
Old 10-03-2008, 09:26 PM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shut the lights Off. On whichever light is Up, Manually close it by turning the **** (open the hood first - obviously..) provided for that purpose. Make sure you wind it tight enough to make/break the tension switches in the motor (the armature overtravel switches). Start the motor (or hook up a battery charger - low voltage is a Big problem for these early design units) and turn on the lights - they Should now both work together.

There is nothing in the circuit logic for this design that "knows" which end of the headlight travel (up or down) each light is at - when Powered on each light, independently, will simply go from where it Is to the Other end stop.

If they are both UP, they will both go Down, and vice-versa. If one is up and the other is Down they will both flip and end up Still "out of phase". This is actually Normal and how the system ought to work..
Old 10-03-2008, 09:36 PM
TeknoMaeg
Instructor

Or you can do what Ron suggests... just like in school.. the long answer is always right.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Corvette Headlights Go in Opposite Direction!!!

Quick Reply: 1984 Corvette Headlights Go in Opposite Direction!!!