C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Abandoned But Loved

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:46 AM
joestaxi
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abandoned But Loved

Hi guys, newbe here. Need help with my 91vette. Due to extended illness (better now), my vette has been idle for the past 3 years. What's the best way to get her tip top again? Can I do it myself, or where can I bring it. I live on the very eastern tip of Long Island.
Is gas tank flush and battery replacement enough?
Any help, much appreciated.

Joe
Old 11-15-2008, 07:30 AM
pipe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad your feeling better. I would start by doing all the fluids Gasoline, Coolant,Trans,Brake and PS Fluids. Disconnect the Fuel Line front and rear and blow some clean fuel through the lines till it comes out clear and replace the Fuel Filter. Replace the Trans Filter when you put new fluid in it. New Spark Plugs are a good idea. Charge up the Battery and give it a shot. Remember to get all the nasty gas out of the tank and fuel lines and fuel rails and clean the injectors. After it fires up then you can worry about the small stuff Air Filter cleaning out the Throttle Body maybe Plug Wires and Distributor Cap. Let us know how you make out and GOOD LUCK Bring that Vette back to life Pipe
Old 11-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

First,glad you are backup to vette standards. Having one and be able to drive suxs. Three years is a long time and specific recommendations are difficult without knowing how it was preped or stored. As a minimum all fluids need to be changed, that's gas,oil,transmission,coolant, power steering and the brake system flushed. If It were mine I would do a complete tune up to include oil in the cylinders and turning the engine over my hand for multiple rotations before you try to start. Add a detailed inspection of the entire electrical system, mice as well as other little critters love insulation for breakfast. I am quite sure there will be several folks along any minute now with their own ideas. Though we may disagree on what needs to be done one thing we will agree on is these cars fare much better when driven. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:52 AM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joestaxi
Hi guys, newbe here. Need help with my 91vette. Due to extended illness (better now), my vette has been idle for the past 3 years. What's the best way to get her tip top again? Can I do it myself, or where can I bring it. I live on the very eastern tip of Long Island.
Is gas tank flush and battery replacement enough?
Any help, much appreciated.

Joe
Check the oil, get in her and give her heck................
Old 11-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I especially agree with the squirts of oil into each cylinder.

My other advice would be don't get discouraged if there are some minor glitches. Each one you fix is one less to deal with in the future. It may punish you for the past three years but as you drive it and correct issues its disposition will improve. A driven Vette is a happy Vette! And a Vette driver back in the seat after 3 years is certainly a VERY happy driver!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back

My opinion would be:

Fuel drain and blow out the lines before you try to fire it up. Put some mystery oil in the cylinders with the plugs out and spin it over a few times with a fresh battery. Put the plugs in, check the oil, some fresh gas, and rock and roll.
3 years isn't really that long so I don't think that you would have to change out things like brake, tranny, and PS fluid unless it is suspect when you check it.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:15 AM
car5car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
I especially agree with the squirts of oil into each cylinder.
This is most important thing! I would use diesel/ATF 50/50 mix
Old 11-15-2008, 12:16 PM
BigDR
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flat spots.

If your Corvette hasn't moved in three years, you might need some new shoes before you do a lot of driving. Old tires sitting for years are going to feel like square blocks of wood.

Get notified of new replies

To Abandoned But Loved

Quick Reply: Abandoned But Loved