Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What is the difference between the LT1 and LT4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 07:04 AM
Double Black Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the difference between the LT1 and LT4?

What is the main difference between the LT1 and LT4 and is it possible to convert you LT1 into an LT4? If so what is the process involved and how much does this conversion cost? Thanks :yesnod:
Old 01-17-2002, 08:04 AM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What is the difference between the LT1 and LT4? (Double Black Vette)

Not sure how much it will cost but I think others have discovered its not worth the money to upgrade just to an LT4. If you are gonna spend that type of money go for as much HP & torque as you can. Remember the LT4 is listed as only 30 hp more than a LT1 but popular opinion says that the LT4 is approx. 10% underrated HP wise.

As far as differences between the LT4 and LT1 models, In 96 it meant automatic transmission vs Manual transmission & I believe the brakes were upgraded but I am not positive on that one. Some one else will probably chime in on that one if I am wrong.

The LT1 is a strong engine and will perform like an LT4 in the proper hands. :smash: But in those same hands it will out perform an LT1. Don't underrate an LT1s performance level :yesnod: It has surprised a many a LS1. :)
Old 01-17-2002, 09:21 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: What is the difference between the LT1 and LT4? (CowboyNVette)

What he said. That LT-1's one helluva powerplant. It's seamless blend of torque and horsepower makes for one incredible rush hour blast-off, I can tell you that.

And it's so civilized around town, your grandma could tool around with it all day and never miss a beat. Easily one of the finest engines the General's ever let out of his arsenal. :cool:
Old 01-17-2002, 10:03 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: What is the difference between the LT1 and LT4? (CowboyNVette)

The main differences?? Hmm, well the heads are one item with bigger but lighter wieght sodium filled valves, stiffer springs, 1.6 roller rockers, better port designs. The crank has got more machining to it for better high performance use (fillet journals, nitrided I think). The intake is different (other then the red paint) LT1 and LT4 heads and intakes are not interchangeable without machining. LT4 has no EGR system, different knock module because of valve train noise, better timing chain setup.
All 95 and 96 vettes have the 13" brake system regardless of engine by the way.
I remember a website that discribes the differences between the two, I just don't remember where.
Cost to upgrade?? $ :eek: $$$ :eek: $$$
Old 01-17-2002, 10:57 AM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: What is the difference between the LT1 and LT4? (Double Black Vette)

Here's a good web site with the differences between an LT1 and LT4:

http://home.tir.com/~steveher/lt4.html

Bone stock LT4's generally output from 295-305 RWHP. That's 347 - 358 HP at the crank. There is NO question the LT4 was underrated.

The LT1 is a fine motor, though, and can be easily built up to exceed the LT4's output. LT4 heads are a huge improvement but for the cost, if I were you I'd massage the LT1 heads, port match the intake, install cam and headers and go out and have some fun!
Old 01-17-2002, 11:14 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What is the difference between the LT1 and LT4? (Z06VERT)

Here's a good web site with the differences between an LT1 and LT4:

http://home.tir.com/~steveher/lt4.html

Bone stock LT4's generally output from 295-305 RWHP. That's 347 - 358 HP at the crank. There is NO question the LT4 was underrated.

The LT1 is a fine motor, though, and can be easily built up to exceed the LT4's output. LT4 heads are a huge improvement but for the cost, if I were you I'd massage the LT1 heads, port match the intake, install cam and headers and go out and have some fun!
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To What is the difference between the LT1 and LT4?

Quick Reply: What is the difference between the LT1 and LT4?