Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Headlight stuck...Can it only be bushings or gear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Jared1984
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight stuck...Can it only be bushings or gear?

Hey guys...So here is the story

Jumped into the vette today after work. She has been sitting for a good week (tons of rain here) anyway, started her up, popped the headlights (popped up no prob, no hesistation), took a drive to the bank (15 minutes) Now the whole way, there was no shaking or anything. Turned the car off at the bank, turned off the headlights, and here is the prob. Drivers side does it's little dance and closes no prob. passenger side flips about 1/2 way closed and stops. No noises or anything. If I go to turn the lights back on, it flips the 1/2 back up. What are the possible problems. I want to buy the Bronze gear and bushing kit http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1158 to be on the safe side. Could it be something else. I'd hate to buy the parts and it is something else. Or is this gonna be trial and error? Weird though...no symptoms or anything of this prob about to happen. Does it usually happen like this?

Thanks!!
Oh and my headlight motor (or any other part) isn't being hurt B/C it is half open is it? Not sucking any battery juice either?

Last edited by Jared1984; 12-12-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:33 PM
IMBoring25
Safety Car

If the prospect of ancillary damage concerns you, there's little harm pulling the negative battery cable (Besides losing your trip mileage and radio stations). I had to when the bushings went out on the passenger side of my '93 because any time the headlight switch was in the off position the motor ground. And, yes, that was sudden. Everything was completely normal until I turned off the headlights.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Bvette
Instructor

It's more than likely your bushings, C 4's are notted for headlight bushing problems. Mine went bad on my 89 coupe. It does happen that fast. Don't waste your money on the Bronze gears. Chances are your gears are alright. The nylons gears are fine, Bronze gears add weight for the motor to turn. Be sure to change both sides.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:09 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Plastic bushings, do both your headlights for $10 and 2 hours of your time.

Don't waste the money on the brass gears.

I've had 4 C4's over the last decade and currently have 2. The problem is the bushings.

I've had to fix 4 of mine.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 12-13-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Allentown Ernie
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The former owner of my 90 coupe spent $250 for a new motor assembly for the drivers side and I spent $15 bucks and a few hours labor to fix the passenger side with new bushings. Download the help from the search section and have a go at it. Good luck. Allentown Ernie.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:21 AM
tinian
Instructor

About the Home Depot Bushings, I went by HD looking for them, but could not find any. An HD person helped me look by the part number and nothing. Has anyone found the bushing at HD lately?

The part numbers shown in the forum return something other than a bushing:
595609 = Crown Bolt LLC 27/64 In. x 29/64 In. Spacer - Nylon
3069987278 = Not found

There are so many versions on how to fix this here, which is awesome. Does anyone have opinions on which would be the most complete and least complicated to use? I'd like to avoid having too many extra parts in my garage floor!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:53 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

The easiest is just to pay the $10 or $20 at Ecklers or equivalent and have them show up in the mail.

If you can do the HD method than great but I know the Ecklers ones last for years (or at least in my case they have)
Old 12-13-2008, 11:02 AM
tinian
Instructor

The gears and bushings appear to be sold separately. Should both of these items be replaced?

Ecklers shows these items:
44971 $25 each - Corvette Headlight Motor Gear, Plastic, 1988-1996
29304 $6 each - Corvette Headlight Repair Set, 1988-1996 (Bushings)
Old 12-13-2008, 11:11 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Originally Posted by tinian
The gears and bushings appear to be sold separately. Should both of these items be replaced?

Ecklers shows these items:
44971 $25 each - Corvette Headlight Motor Gear, Plastic, 1988-1996
29304 $6 each - Corvette Headlight Repair Set, 1988-1996 (Bushings)
I've yet to put in a gear in 10+ years, just the bushings.

You need two sets of these 3 in each bag (6 bushings in all)

That will fix 2 headlights (3 per headlight)

Even if you only have one headlight that needs repair, better to have one spare set around.

Anyone that has had a crushed or stripped gear please speak up

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 12-13-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It could be a gear with a broken tooth, but check to make sure the plastic cover isnt getting stuck on the hood. Mine that does that from time to time and wont let it go all the way down. Give it a good whack. Also the bronze gears are FAR better than the plastic ones. I went through several sets of plastic gears within 2 months and finally put the bronze ones in. They havent broke since.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:49 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Originally Posted by Demonic85
It could be a gear with a broken tooth, but check to make sure the plastic cover isnt getting stuck on the hood. Mine that does that from time to time and wont let it go all the way down. Give it a good whack. Also the bronze gears are FAR better than the plastic ones. I went through several sets of plastic gears within 2 months and finally put the bronze ones in. They havent broke since.
That is funny, I tried a brass gear at one time (my plastic one was not broken) and its the one that broke the fastest

It makes sense though that the brass gear would last longer, just not in my case
Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 PM
bodak1
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 39 Posts

I just replaced the gears and bushings in my 90 ZR-1. The nylon gears looked fine, the bushings were granules. The problem is there was a slight ring around the bottom of the orginal nylon gear, and i couldn't get it past the worm gear. So I used the new brass gears. I had ordered the brass gears and bushings from Mid America. The bushings were too large and would not allow the cam sprocket to seat without grinding them down a little.

Now here is the problem i currently have, the right headlight after adjustment works fine. The left one worked the first time although not quite in concert with the right one. After that, however it would only open about 2/3 of the way and seemed to be reaching a "stop". I could not dial it all of the way open manually, so i had to disconnect the bracket arm and the electricity to the motor and tape the headlight open. I had some help from someone smarter than me at these things and it was a lot more than a 2 hr job!!
Old 07-11-2015, 08:37 AM
canada c4
7th Gear

Originally Posted by bodak1
I just replaced the gears and bushings in my 90 ZR-1. The nylon gears looked fine, the bushings were granules. The problem is there was a slight ring around the bottom of the orginal nylon gear, and i couldn't get it past the worm gear. So I used the new brass gears. I had ordered the brass gears and bushings from Mid America. The bushings were too large and would not allow the cam sprocket to seat without grinding them down a little.

Now here is the problem i currently have, the right headlight after adjustment works fine. The left one worked the first time although not quite in concert with the right one. After that, however it would only open about 2/3 of the way and seemed to be reaching a "stop". I could not dial it all of the way open manually, so i had to disconnect the bracket arm and the electricity to the motor and tape the headlight open. I had some help from someone smarter than me at these things and it was a lot more than a 2 hr job!!
I'm having a similar problem with my 1988. I replaced the bushings, they were shot. Now the lights work great when the hood is up but when the hood is down the drivers side only spins half way. If I close the lid with the lights up they'll only shut half way and if the hood is closed with the lights down they only open half way. I've searched all over for possible obstructions and can't find anything. Could there be something else wrong with the motor?
Old 07-11-2015, 01:47 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default bushings

Originally Posted by Jared1984
Hey guys...So here is the story

Jumped into the vette today after work. She has been sitting for a good week (tons of rain here) anyway, started her up, popped the headlights (popped up no prob, no hesistation), took a drive to the bank (15 minutes) Now the whole way, there was no shaking or anything. Turned the car off at the bank, turned off the headlights, and here is the prob. Drivers side does it's little dance and closes no prob. passenger side flips about 1/2 way closed and stops. No noises or anything. If I go to turn the lights back on, it flips the 1/2 back up. What are the possible problems. I want to buy the Bronze gear and bushing kit http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1158 to be on the safe side. Could it be something else. I'd hate to buy the parts and it is something else. Or is this gonna be trial and error? Weird though...no symptoms or anything of this prob about to happen. Does it usually happen like this?

Thanks!!
Oh and my headlight motor (or any other part) isn't being hurt B/C it is half open is it? Not sucking any battery juice either?

Do the bushings -- don't overthink this. Advance auto has them. they fit Fords also.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:54 AM
H Watkins
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '21

Check out these bushings at Amazon (sorry for adding a direct link). Three bushings for $7.31, and free shipping for prime members.

Dorman 74410 Window Regulator Gear Plug, Pack of 3.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight stuck...Can it only be bushings or gear?

Quick Reply: Headlight stuck...Can it only be bushings or gear?