Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

how's this for an idea to improve lights on mid 90 vettes!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:15 PM
turbotim23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how's this for an idea to improve lights on mid 90 vettes!

Hi I seen something on a car that got me thinking might look cool on our cars. It was a car that had both the headlights and running lights those bright blue lights. You know the ones that are so bright that they bother you facing them . My 93's running light's are fog lights, kind of wimpy.They don't do much good. I know some older cars have bright running lights but not mine. I checked , Syvania cool blue headlights are avalible for our cars.I looked at my running lights, the outer turn signals are clearer than the fog lights lens. I'm thinking of changing the placement of the two. putting the turn signal light into the fog light housing. Don't know if it's possible but if it is then you could run a drill bit through stock fog lamp connection fitting and maybe with some help from a epoxy glue fasten a brighter bulb into the stock fitting. I would use a bright bulb tinted just like the headlights. I think this would make your car look very different and could be done very easily. How well do you think this would work?
Old 12-17-2008, 05:01 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your fog lights should be just as clear as your turn signals. Maybe try a clear plastic polish to remove any hazing on the outside surface?

For lighting, do you want to look cool, or do you actually want more light? I installed HIDs in my headlights and foglights. The color is 5000K, so they are pure white and look amazing, and they put out a lot more light than stockers. I can drive with just the foglights until it gets completely dark, which is nice, as I like the look of the car better with the headlights down.

It cost me $80 shipped for the fog-light kit, then $80 for the headlight kit plus $55 for each H4 housing conversion. That's for low-beam only; bi-xenons run about $110.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

"Cool Blue" lights are nothing more than a halogen light with a blue tint. In fact, the Sylvania Cool Blue will put out less lumens at a lower color temperature than a good regular halogen bulb. They are a waste of money unless you only want the "look" and don't care about improved lighting.

The factory fog lamps really don't do a lot for lighting and I don't think the engineers were even that concerned about providing extra visibility from them. You can upgrade the stock bulb to a slightly higher wattage. There will be some improvement, but not a lot.

Good HID lighting can cost tons. There are kits available that work and the install is straightforward and will work with the factory wiring. But expect to pay dearly, like $800 to over a grand.

Another solution is to install H4 lamp assemblies from either Hella or CIBIE and use a H4 bulb in the 100 watt range. Look for a color temerature of around 5000 degrees Kelvin. This will be a bright white light and not be so blue as to take away visibility. PIAA and APC have some good H4 Xenon gas bulbs that will work great in these type of lamp housings.

The lenses in these lamp housing are also cut so that light is spread out wider in front but still provide lots of light to the front. The high beams are more focused for a much longer beam down the road. The low beam pattern is also flat at the top so there is very little glare when you drive in fog or in rain.

The fog/turn signal lamp housing is a one piece unit and has no real ventilation to it. High wattage bulbs will eventually melt the housing. It's a PITA to remove the housing assembly; you have to remove the front bumper cover to get to them.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 PM
turbotim23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I wasn't sure the cool blue type were a good one to use and I don't want to melt the plastic housings.Also I thought it too hard to get the fog lens out to be able to clean them up.That's the main reason I was moving the fog lights over[not a good idea]. Would the hid lights melt the fog light housing if I could find the lights cheap enough? Where did you get them? Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To how's this for an idea to improve lights on mid 90 vettes!

Quick Reply: how's this for an idea to improve lights on mid 90 vettes!