Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Center console LID out of shape - How can I fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 04:04 AM
levimoran79
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Center console LID out of shape - How can I fix it?

It seems that it is very common at the C4 that the console lid is deforming and loose any trace of its original shape, and that give us a hard time to use it in the tight space between the seats. I can't open mine all the way unless I really force it up. Does any of you guys had a chance to rebuild one or to trace a better way to replace it with something that will not do the same in a few years down the road? Please advise. I have seen a lot of replacements for C5 console lid's BUT non for the C4.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:13 AM
BluRay
Pro

Originally Posted by levimoran79
It seems that it is very common at the C4 that the console lid is deforming and loose any trace of its original shape, and that give us a hard time to use it in the tight space between the seats. I can't open mine all the way unless I really force it up. Does any of you guys had a chance to rebuild one or to trace a better way to replace it with something that will not do the same in a few years down the road? Please advise. I have seen a lot of replacements for C5 console lid's BUT non for the C4.
well you could make one and use the stock hinges. Well unless that's what is screwed....
Old 12-27-2008, 07:19 AM
rich653
Burning Brakes

You can get them at Ecklers or many of the Corvette supply stores

http://www.ecklers.com/search.asp?ac...searchHistory=
Old 12-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Get the midamerica cushion !
i did both,i replaced the lid and i got a cushion.-
http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=1.3522
Old 12-27-2008, 07:41 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

my covering was starting to come loose from the frame on my 90. in the past (on my 85) i've tried carpet adhesive, but no luck, and ended up buying a new console lid. on my 90, i tried silicon sealer (clear), and held the covering in place with strips of wood and wood working c-clamps for about 24 hours. so far, and it's been about 5 months, its held okay. i don't think it's so much the adhesive breaking down, but the foam lining deteriorating. hope this little bit of info helps...
Old 12-29-2008, 12:47 AM
levimoran79
Intermediate

You guys I found the way to fix it!
All that you have to do is to take it a part have only the top of the lid exposed.
You will see that it is actually stapeled to the plastic! where it is destorted its places were the staples went loose. I pushed the lid against the floor with the loose side, while it was pushed down I stapeled it to the plastic and "wala" it is PERFECT!!!!! Hope it will help someone! If you need some pics I have it and I can email it to who ever might be interested!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Another vote for the Madvet leather cushion top. After using mine for over 3 years on two different C4s and putting yet another on my pops 96 it truely is a tasteful mod that hides the problem you describe and looks like it belongs there. Driving a standard it also rests the arm at the right height.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:01 AM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Another vote for the Madvet leather cushion top. After using mine for over 3 years on two different C4s and putting yet another on my pops 96 it truely is a tasteful mod that hides the problem you describe and looks like it belongs there. Driving a standard it also rests the arm at the right height.

Much more comfortable than the console lid, too!

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Center console LID out of shape - How can I fix it?

Quick Reply: C4 Center console LID out of shape - How can I fix it?