Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Oxidizing rims-will nitrogen help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:31 PM
shacky
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oxidizing rims-will nitrogen help?

My original chrome sawblades still look great. But, one after another this summer they developed a slow leak. The tire shop showed me that the rim surface inside the tire was oxidizing and making rough edges around the tire seal. They did a good job sealing them up with black goo, but now I have been hearing about nitrogen in tires.

I don't believe the supposed benefits are real and it sounds pretty close to a scam to me, BUT I got thinking....would nitrogen in my tires halt oxidation of the rims inside the tire cavity?

Searched and didn't find anything on this...would appreciate some thoughts from the great minds here.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:14 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No oxygen-no oxidation.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:22 PM
shacky
Racer

Originally Posted by MK 82
No oxygen-no oxidation.
That's what I was thinking, but I was wondering if the logic was flawed somehow.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,019 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Green caps

What happens if you get a low tire somewhere you dont have your nitrogen source? If you put air in it you will contaminate the nitrogen
Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I think a tire installer somewhere along the line used dirty water to lube and seat the bead instead of the clean tire bead seat solution, and the trapped moisture started the corrosion. Just my $.02 worth. The nitrogen would be dryer than just compressed humidity for sure. I bet people in New Orleans must have a heck of a time with all the moisture from compressors going into their tires!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:58 PM
shacky
Racer

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004
What happens if you get a low tire somewhere you dont have your nitrogen source? If you put air in it you will contaminate the nitrogen
That's exactly right. But there are something like 12,000 locations that supply nitrogen for tires. See this: http://www.getnitrogen.org/

Lots of people are using nitrogen in their tires and as I mentioned in my first post, I don't buy the sales pitch. BUT, in my case of having rim seals compromised because of oxidation, maybe it would be worth it to halt further oxidation.

I just posted this to see what others thought and I agree with the idea that no oxygen means no oxidation.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:04 AM
96polovette
Drifting

If they're already oxidized, nitrogen alone won't fix the slow leaks. Dismount the tires and polish the inside of the rims especially at the lips where it meets the edge of the tires. Then remount and fill with your choice of nitrogen or air. Mine are the OEM aluminum wheels, I wet sanded and polished the inside lips. The aluminum alloy forms a surface layer that is resistant to oxidation so I never bothered using nitrogen.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:19 AM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Default nitrogen

Originally Posted by shacky
That's exactly right. But there are something like 12,000 locations that supply nitrogen for tires. See this: http://www.getnitrogen.org/

Lots of people are using nitrogen in their tires and as I mentioned in my first post, I don't buy the sales pitch. BUT, in my case of having rim seals compromised because of oxidation, maybe it would be worth it to halt further oxidation.

I just posted this to see what others thought and I agree with the idea that no oxygen means no oxidation.
How often do you get a flat next to one of those 12,000 filling stations?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:27 AM
shacky
Racer

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004
How often do you get a flat next to one of those 12,000 filling stations?
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:18 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A complete myth - short of pulling a vacuum (which would probably collapse the tire), there is no way to displace the moisture or air that's allready inplace when you fill it. Absolute pressure is really what's in there and that's what you put in it plus atmospheric - whatever miracle air you're shoving in it isn't displacing anything. Why this BS exists eludes me. If you have oxidation it's either normal or the aftermarket supplier built on the cheap. If you want to end it or keep it under control, buy a rattle can of clear coat and spray away.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:48 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Default tires

Originally Posted by SunCr
A complete myth - short of pulling a vacuum (which would probably collapse the tire), there is no way to displace the moisture or air that's allready inplace when you fill it. Absolute pressure is really what's in there and that's what you put in it plus atmospheric - whatever miracle air you're shoving in it isn't displacing anything. Why this BS exists eludes me. If you have oxidation it's either normal or the aftermarket supplier built on the cheap. If you want to end it or keep it under control, buy a rattle can of clear coat and spray away.

Thank you. Well said.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:24 PM
mphy98
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here at the dealership we use nitrogen to stabilize the air pressure in the tires. that is what it was designed to do. nothing else. it will not protect rims. there are plenty of tire dealers and new car dealers that will refill a low tire at no charge. to alieve the full vacuum question, most dealers will deflate tires, inflate with nitrogen, deflate then inflate with nitrogen again. it is never 100% but gets close to 85%.

Get notified of new replies

To Oxidizing rims-will nitrogen help?

Quick Reply: Oxidizing rims-will nitrogen help?