Time to replace rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:30 PM
C4fan
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '10

Default Time to replace rotors and pads

I'm a new owner and have a lot to learn. I need to replace the rotors and pads on my '93 and have noticed HD and regualr available. How do you know if you need HD or will either fit?
Old 02-22-2009, 10:14 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

See if you can find your RPO codes on the inside of the storage bin - if you see J55, you have the heavy-duty 13" front brakes. Or measure your front rotors - 12" are regular. They aren't interchangeable. If you have the regular brakes, it might be a good time to upgrade to the J55 setup or the C5 front brakes. Note that C5 brakes won't work with the sawblade wheels.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:37 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup. 13" front rotor = HD, or J55. 12" front rotor = standard.

Also, you might want to upgrade to some nice pads if you drive aggressively. Hawk HPS have worked well for me for 'spirited street' driving and occasional AutoX days.

I don't know where you're getting the rotors from, but Corvette Recycling sells brand new AC Delco rotors for $20 each. Pretty tough to beat in price and quality. Just fyi.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:10 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by tuffLUV
I'm a new owner and have a lot to learn. I need to replace the rotors and pads on my '93 and have noticed HD and regualr available. How do you know if you need HD or will either fit?
As stated above, you'll need to measure your rotors, or read the codes to see what size brakes you have. Since your going to be working on the brakes, you may want to change out the brake fluid w/ a good synthetic, install some stainless steel brake lines, and use Hawk HPS pads. Also, if your replacing rotors, get a set that are zinc washed, that way the non wear area of the rotor will not rust, looks much better.

Randy
Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
Also, you might want to upgrade to some nice pads if you drive aggressively. Hawk HPS have worked well for me for 'spirited street' driving and occasional AutoX days.
Its what I have and I couldn't be more pleased. The Hawk HPS pads made a world of difference in my stopping abilities.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:30 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

JL9=base 12" front and rear rotors.
J55 was standard equipment on all 95-96 C4 Vettes.

Last edited by GKK; 02-23-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 PM
C4fan
Melting Slicks

St. Jude '10

I took one off today, 12" if I go with HD I assume I'll have to get rotors as well. Thanks for the help. I agree with getting the better quality, just not sure the pocket book will allow. I haven't seen any rotors that show to be zinc washed but I'll look for them.
Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:34 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

To go to the 13" rotors, you'll need rotors and caliper brackets. You might be able to get a set off here from someone who's upgraded to C5 or other brakes.

As for the zinc-washed (or galvenized) rotors, you can get similar results for about $8. Just get some silver brake caliper paint and paint them, even the swept surface. Then when you put them on the car, the pads will just eat through the paint real quick, and all the other surfaces won't rust You can also do them black and get a different look.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Mrs. glass car
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TheAngelOfDeath
Its what I have and I couldn't be more pleased. The Hawk HPS pads made a world of difference in my stopping abilities.
The Hawk HPS pads much better than OEM.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:14 AM
C4fan
Melting Slicks

St. Jude '10

[QUOTE=StealthLT4;1569063591]To go to the 13" rotors, you'll need rotors and caliper brackets. You might be able to get a set off here from someone who's upgraded to C5 or other brakes.
QUOTE]

If I understand correctly I would need the 13" rotors, new HD or J55 calipers and new brackets. I just can't go the $500 for the new calipers. If someone has a set for a good price I might be interested but I already went ahead and ordered the 12" slotted rotors, Hawk pads and SS brake lines. I also ordered a new complete front suspension kit. I'd like to at least get back to factory so I can get back on the road. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by C4fan; 02-24-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

[QUOTE=tuffLUV;1569065391]
To go to the 13" rotors, you'll need rotors and caliper brackets. You might be able to get a set off here from someone who's upgraded to C5 or other brakes.
QUOTE]

If I understand correctly I would need the 13" rotors, new HD or J55 calipers and new brackets. I just can't go the $500 for the new calipers. If someone has a set for a good price I might be interested but I already went ahead and ordered the 12" slotted rotors, Hawk pads and SS brake lines. I also ordered a new complete front suspension kit. I'd like to at least get back to factory so I can get back on the road. Thanks for the help.
I believe that the calipers are the same. You would just need the brackets and rotors. Post a thread in the For Sale section, see if anyone has them.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:20 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

But if you already ordered it, then staying 12" is just fine too. When you say 'complete front suspension kit,' what is included in this? Bushings? Ball joints? Lowering? I had a bad experience with a ball joint + tie rod end kit, and just want to keep others from making the same mistake.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyJ75

I believe that the calipers are the same. You would just need the brackets and rotors.
The J55 calipers are a lot bigger and wider than the standard JL9 calipers but, the brake pads are the same. The larger calipers help too reduce brake fade.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:34 PM
C4fan
Melting Slicks

St. Jude '10

StealthLT4, the kit I bought contains upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends and A frame bushings. Cost was about $210 plus shipping from Ecklers. The price seemed low but so does $20 rotors. I hope this wasn't a mistake.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

I can't speak for Ecklers, but here is my experience with a VERY similar-sounding kit from Mid-America. Upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends for about the same price. Installed them last March. 3 weeks ago I took the Vette to the local shop for some exhaust fixing and a dyno tune, and they give me a list of parts that are worn out, including EVERYTHING I replaced last March! One of the boots on the upper ball joint was completely GONE, and the other was torn in half. Long story short, I went with AC Delco replacements this time, and will never skimp on that stuff ever again. If I were you, I'd look into either cancelling your order or returning them, as it will just be a waste of the $210 to install, when you have to replace it all in a year.

I don't think the rotors are such a big deal. I'm running drilled/slotted rotors I got for about $120, and they've held up just fine. As long as you don't track a car with drilled rotors, you should be good to go. I'm going to buy a set of the AC Delco N.O.S. rotors from Corvette Central when I do get out to a track, since they're only $20 each and are good quality.

Are your ball joints bad? If not, there's no need to replace them. If so, I would do one of two things. First, get Moog ball joints from RockAuto.com. They have very good prices, about $80 each IIRC. Then the problem is installing them, for which you will either have to buy a press of pay a shop to do the lower ones.

The alternative is to get brand new control arms from Corvette Recycling. These include ball joints and bushings installed, and are what your car came with from the factory. $400 for all 4 control arms isn't too bad of a deal for new ball joints and bushings, with no labor (it was an all-Saturday job for me to replace all of them).
Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 PM
C4fan
Melting Slicks

St. Jude '10

Wow! That could be bad news. I should have known better but I guess I got a false sense of trust from some of these places. They looked like they sold quality parts. I expected at least factory quality. My vette has 144K on it and although the front end doesn't feel sloppy I get the impression they've never been replaced. With that many miles there is bound to be some play that could be tightened up.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:30 PM
C4fan
Melting Slicks

St. Jude '10

OK, I just cancelled both of my orders to rethink what I'm doing. I like the idea of getting a set of used J55 calipers if I can find them. They were going to add another $70 to the shipping on the rotor order or wait another week for the parts. If I'm going to wait I might as well get what I want.

Get notified of new replies

To Time to replace rotors and pads

Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 PM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As for the zinc-washed (or galvenized) rotors, you can get similar results for about $8. Just get some silver brake caliper paint and paint them, even the swept surface. Then when you put them on the car, the pads will just eat through the paint real quick, and all the other surfaces won't rust You can also do them black and get a different look.
I'm a little more **** and cleaned them with brake cleaner before taping off the braking surface for paint.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:26 PM
ol school
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stock 96LT1 put out APB on here and picked up FREE
a pr. of ZR1 rotors direct bolt on..worked perfect !!

CF has been the best fren i could find...
Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
C4fan
Melting Slicks

St. Jude '10

OK thanks to ya'lls advise here is what I started with and what I ended up with:

Started with:

12" slotted rotors $100 ea $200
SS brake lines (set of 4) $110
Ball joint/bushing kit $200
Hawk HPS pads $100
shipping $105
Total $715

Ended up cancelling the orders (because they were going to up the shipping on part and back ordered the ball joint kit) and ended up with:

Used J55 rotors from here
w/brackets,SS hoses &
Hawk HPS pads, shipped $425
13" AC Delcos from Corv
Recycling $40
Both upper and lower
control arms $400
MOOG inners & outers $300
shipping $35
Total $1200

Results were for $500 upgraded to 13" brake system and front end parts that will last as long as I will own the car. I suppose a person could do better but I'm happy with the results

Quick Reply: Time to replace rotors and pads