Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1988 to 1991 suspension changes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Black Echo
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1988 to 1991 suspension changes?

New member but long time Vette owner in and out of the Vette game over the four decades of my life so far.

For what it is worth, my previous C4 was a '88 Z51 optioned coupe with the sometimes quirky yet lovable Doug Nash 4+3 speed. I sold it in 1993 and have been Vette dry since then. Well, I'm about to turn 40 and said to myself ... I really don't have enough toys in my life because I can still move around my garage without sucking in my gut so something has to change and that change had to be another C4 Corvette to occupy vast tracts of the very limited free time that I have available in this life.

I've spent the last three months researching options and tracking down Corvettes for sale and cross referencing what I wanted and what I didn't. I eventually moved forward from replacing the '88 Z51 to the '91 and the ZR1 inspired makeover. I'm about to purchase a 91 C4 and yes, I prefer the L98 and a 700R4 automatic (two requirements for a future project that had to be met) with the added insight that one of the reasons for the ’90 plus C4 was that I really got tired of the glow-winky dash found on the '84 to '89 C4s and vastly prefer the '90 and '91 dash and interior layout over the ’88 that I had. Just my opinion, having had the former I look forward to having all the spinning clocks back in my face with the '91.

But I digress.

As a performance enthusiast, I put more emphasis on overall handling than straight line acceleration (acc comes a very close second, though). I’d rather have a suspension that can out-handle my motor than a motor that can out-power my suspension. That said, I’m a big fan of the C4 Z51 / Z52 option package and was wondering what changes happened from the factory between ’88 and ’91. I understand that in the three years after '88 that the primary components of the once lofty Z51 package migrated into standard equipment on the base model coupe by ’91. The factory robbed the Z51 package of the power steering cooler, engine oil cooler and 17x9.5" wheels and made those components standard on the base model by ‘91. The heavy duty cooling system and booster fan found in the ’88 Z51 package became obsolete in 1990 due to a redesign of the radiator for more efficiency.

... am I going to be going down a step in handling or will I even notice much of a difference between the '88 Z51 optioned 4+3 stick coupe and the '91 FX3 with the 4 speed automatic? I’ll miss rowing through the gears … especially the two extra (CAGS defeated) gears offered by the ZF tranny but oh well.

I know that the Z51 / Z52 cars had better sway bars, larger brakes, and special structural reinforcements added over the base coupe ... did any of this also make it into the base model later year cars? Does the FX3 option combine better suspension components or structural reinforcement in the package over non-FX3 coupes or is it just a select ride setup packaged to give wannabes something to brag about having on their Vettes?

I've looked in as many resources as I could before I asked these questions but now it looks like the answer may only be available from forum members with experience with the higher end suspension and handling options found on the late 80's / early '90's C4.

Thanks for any help you may can offer.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Yorcci
Pro

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

I can only link this info on the suspension data, don't know, if you have already read this:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...usp_chart.html
Old 03-01-2009, 04:36 PM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

The only thing I can help with is the engine oil cooler is shown as a $110 option in 91.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:59 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Got this info from the Corvette Black Book

For Model Year 1991

Option RPO Z07 (733 known sold)

Included KC4 (engine oil cooler), FX3, and previous Z51 components ( heavy duty springs, shocks, stabilizer, and bushings and heavy duty brakes. Required 6 speed manual, although one known automatic was documented.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Echo
I know that the Z51 / Z52 cars had better sway bars, larger brakes, and special structural reinforcements added over the base coupe ... did any of this also make it into the base model later year cars? Does the FX3 option combine better suspension components
Springs / swaybars 88-96 interchange so you can make yourown setup from stock or aftermarket parts.
FX-3 has base springs
The frame reinforcements became base after '88? My '89 and '90 have them.
J55 brakes were option on all '88+ cars.
If you look at the chart all the settings become softer through the years to the point where the HD suspension in the '96 is not as stiff as the base earlier on.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

My 1988 C4 has sway bars can anyone tell me if this is standard equipment for this year ?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 PM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
My 1988 C4 has sway bars can anyone tell me if this is standard equipment for this year ?
Thanks. No one has resurrected a dead thread today. I thought we were losing our touch.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:19 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
Yes but size varied

If you had read the link in post #2 above it would have told you what size sway bars your car came with new

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 to 1991 suspension changes?

Quick Reply: 1988 to 1991 suspension changes?