C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Walk Me Through Removing the Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:55 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Default Thanks, but I guess I still must be slow.........

[QUOTE=WW7;1569190967]
Originally Posted by tuxnharley
OK, maybe I'm slow, or you guys all wrench for a living or something - but I was trying to give the OP a reasonable guess as to how long it will take HIM the FIRST time he does this, what with switching tools, total project time including taking the old battery to the store to exchange for the new one in the middle of the process (tell me again how that alone takes only 15 minutes?), etc.

Tell you what - let's let the OP be the final say on how long it takes him once he's done - he can report back and see who's closer to reality.

Beer bet, anyone?

QUOTE]

This is where the discrepancy lies, usually you only count the mechanics of the job, not the breaks, or travel time, or beer runs...:o,,WW
.......cuz it still took me about 1/2 hour each to take it out and to put it back together: +/- 1 hour actual labor and a two hour total job for everything start to finish, including putting away the tools, washing my hands, and puting the empty beer bottles in the recycling bin!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 03-06-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-06-2009, 02:43 PM
slplank
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thanks For the Assistance !!

Thanks to you all for your input!! At the pace I usually roll when doing something for the first time I'm sure it will take me a bit longer then the experienced guys but with you all pointing me in the right direction it doesn't seem too difficult.

I may not be doing this for a couple of weeks, the car is on stands now as I'm putting on some new shocks and fixing a broken power antenna.

Thanks again for all the great input
Old 03-06-2009, 03:24 PM
DaveT91
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any issues wrt the Radio? ie do you need a Reset/Reactivation Code if the Battery is disconnected ? not sure if this is the case for Bose Systems or not ?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

All these posts for a frican battery

This was a good read...thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 04:21 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Iroc57

All these posts for a frican battery

This was a good read...thanks
Old 05-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Amazing1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Two Quick Questions

Does just about everything in this thread also apply to a '95?

Can someone please tell me if there are any issues with security system, radio (not factory), other electronics which must be re-set if battery is removed?

It was suggested to me by PepBoys that they plug something into the cigarette lighter to keep any electronics "charged" while the battery is removed. Is this necessary?
Old 05-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Amazing1

Can someone please tell me if there are any issues with security system, radio (not factory), other electronics which must be re-set if battery is removed?

It was suggested to me by PepBoys that they plug something into the cigarette lighter to keep any electronics "charged" while the battery is removed. Is this necessary?
You might have to reprogram the presets on the stereo,thats what the cigarette lighter plug in jobber does but there wont be any issues with replacing the battery.The biggest problem is getting the 10MM bolt at the bottom of the panel loose,it takes a thin 10MM open end wrench,some times you cant see it,just put the wrench in there and feel around.Alot of people dont bother to loosen this up,pulling the panel out and end up breaking the panel.A new one is aboiut $100.........+ paint.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:40 AM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Amazing1

On my Ford F150, that is how they replaced my battery when I was having the oil changed. They plugged another spare battery into the cigarette lighter. Did not have to reset my stations on my radio, and everything was just like before.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:57 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Long extensions will be your friend to help get at the hold down bolt.

I did it on an 88 many years ago and that was the one difficulty. I didn't have a real long extension and had to use a bunch of smaller ones. Getting to the bolts that hold the body panel were no problem at all.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Scream And Fly
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by deerra
Quite frankly, it's a PIA to change. Same with the fuel filter. Nothing like engineering a car to make regular maintenance items difficult to service.
Please. I changed the battery in mine (taking my time too) in 30 minutes. Very easy.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:10 PM
project C4
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by touringmike
I take mine out thru the top. 15 minutes max.

Remove the cruise module, unbolt top of brace, swing brace over a few inches, tilt battery, comes out at about 15 degree angle.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:01 PM
robbyn
4th Gear

Default 1990 corvette;battery removal; screw by door

Hey guys, I successfully removed the battery but when I was removing one screw to the right near door, behind a rubber type molding a stainless flat insert (with an indention) dropped from either below the bolt or on top or maybe even behind and I just don't know where it fits in?? Any help would be great thanks!
Old 04-25-2016, 09:06 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
... but I was trying to give the OP a reasonable guess as to how long it will take HIM the FIRST time he does this, what with switching tools, total project time including taking the old battery to the store to exchange for the new one in the middle of the process (tell me again how that alone takes only 15 minutes?), etc.
That's the key—it takes a lot longer the first time, even if you don't question the C4 engineers ...

Quick Reply: Walk Me Through Removing the Battery