Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Amatuer body work- should I even waste my time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 PM
aggiemarine
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amatuer body work- should I even waste my time?

As is my luck (or lack of skill) with parking lots, I eventually found a way to hit something. Someone tore down the top of a handicap sign and left just the concrete support beam sticking up just high enough to not be visible.
I can provide some detialed pics that will probably bring tears to most of your eyes if you wanna see the extent of the damage. Basically, my urethane bumper is ok, it flexed and just lost some paint, but the pole caught the passenger corner of my hood at about 5 mph and there's now a sizable chunk (about a square foot) that's been broken off.
I have some amatuer body work experience (bondo and sheet metal from my Z28), but I've never attempted fiberglass work on anything except a boat. My question is this- am I gonna be wasting every bit of my time trying to do any sort of repair, or is this actually something I can accomplish with enough patience and guidance?
If it's possible for me to put humpty dumpty back together, is there anything important I should know? And can I put bondo over fiberglass?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Scream And Fly
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

If the car means a lot to you, I would have a professional do the repair. The hood is made from SMC, not fiberglass.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:11 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

If you saved the broken piece(s), you can piece it back together. The problem with SMC fiberglass is it doesn't repair well. The repair tends to shrink at different rates than the original piece. The damage you described does fix fairly easy. You might want to look into a replacement hood, there are three. 84, 85-87, 88-96. The 88-96 will work on the earlier, but not vice versa. I've had very good results with "Kitty Hair" and similar products, instead of trying to do a traditional fiberglass repair, on both hoods and quarter panels. Other than materials, body work is body work.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:16 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

time for a new piece, unless you can take your time. your time saves alot of money.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

bondo is failure mode on your car.....it will last 1 year and it'll shrink.

Get notified of new replies

To Amatuer body work- should I even waste my time?

Quick Reply: Amatuer body work- should I even waste my time?