C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New vette owner needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 AM
C4CalVet
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New vette owner needs advice

I am looking at buying a 87 Vette....any advice before I buy? Anything I should be looking for when I check it out? The vin# is 1G1YY2184H5103635, can anyone use this to help me learn about the car? The vette was previously in Ohio, so I'm concerned about salt damage due to snow. It also has been repainted white, wondering what color it was originally...any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

Last edited by C4CalVet; 05-06-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:01 AM
KoRnitup
Advanced

http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/prepurchase.htm

This is a pretty good site that can guide you during your pre-purchase time. There is at least one other site I know of that has a much more detailed inspection check list, but I cannot seem to find the bookmark. I'm sure someone else will post what I am thinking of, or better yet, give you year-specific things to watch out for (I have a '93 so I can't help you there).

Good luck on getting your Vette!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:58 AM
CopperCorvette
Pro

I own an '87 & '94. The '87 is the baby and the '94 likes to play rough. If your looking for just a cruiser the '87 is a great year for the C4's. The first couple of years the C4's were out they had problems but by "87 they had that all pretty much straightened-out and it's a sound car. An all stock '87 is only gonna give you about 240-250 hp and if you think you'll just do afew mods and make it super fast thats just not going to happen. If you want abit more power to play with and you like the body style of the C4 get yourself one of the later years with the LT1 motor. A stock motor will be 300 hp right from the start and there are many more options for horsepower upgrades. You stated that the car is/was from Ohio. Most Corvettes aren't driven during the winter months and for nothing else than to much power spinning the tires. Just because the car was painted doesn't really mean a thing. Whats worth more... an original paint job thats lived its life or a fresh coat of paint? I just painted my '94 last week. I just repainted it the same OEM color. I see you have a vin for the car and you can get a Carfax report with that but it won't answer the kind of questions your asking. For that you'll need to get yourself the build sheet for that car. Send the info with your donation to the Corvette Museum. This will tell you every option that came when it was first built. Hope that helps, Copper
Old 05-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's mostly common sense when checking a car out. Look for cleanliness in the interior, engine compartment and the underside as well. Don't be afraid to lay on the ground or floor to look at the underneath. Remember you're the one who's cash is leaving your hand.

Ask questions with whatever you see that may not look right to you. Ask about how recent the brake pads are, the exhaust and the state inspections, saftey and emissions.

Of course check the condition of the paint, seat upholestery and carpets. Fell the carpets especially the rear under the hatch glass, it might be a dried out.

Sit in the drivers seat and try every button to make sure things work. Check the dash read outs if they're bright and sharp, check the headlight does for opening and closing. If the seller allows you to take it for a test drive with him riding shot gun, great. If not, tell him to take you for a ride and watch the dash display. If it flickers, that means a rebuild and around $400 to $500.

Listen to the engine at idle and if you go for a ride. Check the oils on the dip sticks, engine and trans. If it's clean, good. Consider the miles the odometer has, if it's high and over 100K then compare that to the condition of the car. Lets say if it has 130,000 miles and the overall condition looks good, then it's a good car that's been taken care of.

As for it being a previous Ohio car, maybe the car never seen the salty winter roads. You'll know what it's been through when you look at the underside. Just take your time when checking everything out. Remember it's your money that you might be spending. It doesn't cost anything for the sellers time standing there watching you checking things. You're the boss, you're the man with the money.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, you can check the vin number on www.carfax.com The last time I did this was about 5 years ago and it cost $7.50. This CarFax gives you the history of the car, if it was a fleet vehicle, stolen, in a flood or a salvage title wrecked vehicle. What's cool is it even tells you what Chevrolet dealer it was sold from. And every owner it had since (except no names, privacy act ya know).
Old 05-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Old87owner
Racer

From another 87 owner. Make sure the drive train is in good order. Do most of the electronics work? Do you have the C68 Electronic Climate control, if so, does it work? If not, it could be an extremely expensive fix. Just make sure it is in good shape.

My Vette only has 245 ish horsepower, but the low end torque makes it a fun fun street car It has all the power you can want where you want it, between 10 and 90 mph : )

My car is a fun good day driver. Just enjoy it and take care of it. It will last nearly forever.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:19 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by CopperCorvette
I own an '87 & '94. The '87 is the baby and the '94 likes to play rough. If your looking for just a cruiser the '87 is a great year for the C4's. The first couple of years the C4's were out they had problems but by "87 they had that all pretty much straightened-out and it's a sound car. An all stock '87 is only gonna give you about 240-250 hp and if you think you'll just do afew mods and make it super fast thats just not going to happen. If you want abit more power to play with and you like the body style of the C4 get yourself one of the later years with the LT1 motor. A stock motor will be 300 hp right from the start and there are many more options for horsepower upgrades. You stated that the car is/was from Ohio. Most Corvettes aren't driven during the winter months and for nothing else than to much power spinning the tires. Just because the car was painted doesn't really mean a thing. Whats worth more... an original paint job thats lived its life or a fresh coat of paint? I just painted my '94 last week. I just repainted it the same OEM color. I see you have a vin for the car and you can get a Carfax report with that but it won't answer the kind of questions your asking. For that you'll need to get yourself the build sheet for that car. Send the info with your donation to the Corvette Museum. This will tell you every option that came when it was first built. Hope that helps, Copper
There were NO real problems with the first few years of the C4. The only faults some people had were with the 1984 not having the higher horsepower of the later years and it's suspension was a little rougher ride. It was the first year of the C4 and naturally had some growing pains. Some people fault the crossfire engine only because that seems to be the cool thing to do on this forum with a few here. If you find a 84 to 87 and like what you see, buy it. These can be great Vettes if you take good care of them and the best part of owning them is to hear all the stupid negative comments coming from people who have never owned one. It seems to make some Corvette owners feel superior if they can find fault with the years made before theirs were made. No matter what year you buy, you will always find someone willing to downgrade yours to a lesser Vette than the one they have. Just laugh them off and be happy with yours. A Vette is a Vette.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:48 AM
CopperCorvette
Pro

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
There were NO real problems with the first few years of the C4. The only faults some people had were with the 1984 not having the higher horsepower of the later years and it's suspension was a little rougher ride. It was the first year of the C4 and naturally had some growing pains. Some people fault the crossfire engine only because that seems to be the cool thing to do on this forum with a few here. If you find a 84 to 87 and like what you see, buy it. These can be great Vettes if you take good care of them and the best part of owning them is to hear all the stupid negative comments coming from people who have never owned one. It seems to make some Corvette owners feel superior if they can find fault with the years made before theirs were made. No matter what year you buy, you will always find someone willing to downgrade yours to a lesser Vette than the one they have. Just laugh them off and be happy with yours. A Vette is a Vette.
I wasn't talking smack about anyones car. I also enjoy Corvettes for what they are...just a car. I own two and also owned an '89 but does that mean I think less of an earlier car? Not one Friggin bit. I would take an '84 in a heartbeat. How about one of the "Disco Vette's", Oh YES I would. I drive what I drive because of every Corvette that was built before mine were and those that drive the C5 & C6's do so for the same reason. The first couple of years cars have year only parts which make them a bit harder to find parts for the car. The Cross-Fire engine is what it is. I think they look pretty cool myself. So, before you "Slam" me understand I was just trying to help him make a choice as to what he wants out of the car he chooses. Copper
Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

I wasn't talking smack about anyones car. I also enjoy Corvettes for what they are...just a car. I own two and also owned an '89 but does that mean I think less of an earlier car? Not one Friggin bit. I would take an '84 in a heartbeat. How about one of the "Disco Vette's", Oh YES I would. I drive what I drive because of every Corvette that was built before mine were and those that drive the C5 & C6's do so for the same reason. The first couple of years cars have year only parts which make them a bit harder to find parts for the car. The Cross-Fire engine is what it is. I think they look pretty cool myself. So, before you "Slam" me understand I was just trying to help him make a choice as to what he wants out of the car he chooses. Copper
Hey Copper, Very well put! It's great to see you really do appreciate the earlier C4's. Your vert is fantastic looking! Do understand that I was not trying to "slam" you personally. There are just a few too many people on this forum who do just what I stated. If you read more posts like this one you may see what I mean. It gets really old with all the bashing that does get put down on the 1984 model year. I don't own an 84 and never owned one (yet) so I would never make any judgemental comments on one except to say they were the first year of the C4 and there were a bunch of them sold so someone sure did like them when they were new. I don't think I would tell others that there were problems with them unless I truly experienced them myself. But then again, that's just me. FOURSPEEDVETTE
Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 PM
captmike13
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Here's a link to a C4 buyer's guide. While your there checking it out check out the rest of the site.

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules....php?itemid=10

Mike.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:44 AM
C4CalVet
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by KoRnitup
http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/prepurchase.htm

This is a pretty good site that can guide you during your pre-purchase time. There is at least one other site I know of that has a much more detailed inspection check list, but I cannot seem to find the bookmark. I'm sure someone else will post what I am thinking of, or better yet, give you year-specific things to watch out for (I have a '93 so I can't help you there).

Good luck on getting your Vette!
I will check out that site...thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:48 AM
C4CalVet
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Old87owner
From another 87 owner. Make sure the drive train is in good order. Do most of the electronics work? Do you have the C68 Electronic Climate control, if so, does it work? If not, it could be an extremely expensive fix. Just make sure it is in good shape.

My Vette only has 245 ish horsepower, but the low end torque makes it a fun fun street car It has all the power you can want where you want it, between 10 and 90 mph : )

My car is a fun good day driver. Just enjoy it and take care of it. It will last nearly forever.
That is exactly what I am looking for...a fun car to cruise around in. Low-end torque to have some fun with, but not to get in trouble with. Thanks for taking the time to tell me about your experience. Appreciate!!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:52 AM
C4CalVet
Heel & Toe

What I'm looking to buy is within my cost structure. I'd love to have a stronger engine, but those days of racing around and getting in trouble with the police are way behind me. 240 horses is plenty to have fun with, and I don't plan to do anything to the engine but take care of it and hope it lasts a looooong time. I agree with your idea that a new paint job is certainly better than a used up point job. Just hope it was painted for the right reasons. I plan to do a CarFax tomorrow, so that should give me some info. Other than that, common sense, like you said. Thanks!!
Old 05-08-2009, 02:20 AM
CopperCorvette
Pro

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Hey Copper, Very well put! It's great to see you really do appreciate the earlier C4's. Your vert is fantastic looking! Do understand that I was not trying to "slam" you personally. There are just a few too many people on this forum who do just what I stated. If you read more posts like this one you may see what I mean. It gets really old with all the bashing that does get put down on the 1984 model year. I don't own an 84 and never owned one (yet) so I would never make any judgemental comments on one except to say they were the first year of the C4 and there were a bunch of them sold so someone sure did like them when they were new. I don't think I would tell others that there were problems with them unless I truly experienced them myself. But then again, that's just me. FOURSPEEDVETTE
Ok, were cool. Thanks for the comp. on my ride. I get such a charge out of that car and a different kind of charge from the '94's LT1 power LOL. No, I've never owned an '84 but a couple of friends have and I just watched them stumble around trying to get things right on their beasts. I will tell you this, the first time I saw an '84 was in '86 (I was on the other side of the world during the first two years of production). It was parked in a parkinglot all by itself. I just stopped and stared at that car for a couple of mins. It was gleaming gold (aren't they all? ). I walked around the car in amazement and then I saw the name and knew right then and there I wanted one. Having been a huge fan of the C3's it was only logical to move forward with progress and go after a C4. Now that another 20+ years have gone by do I want a C5, C6 or the C7... Yep, as a matter of fact I'd be happy just going for a ride in someone elses ride. Copper
Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 AM
CopperCorvette
Pro

Originally Posted by Mnkyhse
What I'm looking to buy is within my cost structure. I'd love to have a stronger engine, but those days of racing around and getting in trouble with the police are way behind me. 240 horses is plenty to have fun with, and I don't plan to do anything to the engine but take care of it and hope it lasts a looooong time. I agree with your idea that a new paint job is certainly better than a used up point job. Just hope it was painted for the right reasons. I plan to do a CarFax tomorrow, so that should give me some info. Other than that, common sense, like you said. Thanks!!
Your welcome. Keep us updated. Copper

Get notified of new replies

To New vette owner needs advice

Quick Reply: New vette owner needs advice