Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

88 fuel gauge question (84-89 also)

Old 05-14-2009, 11:33 AM
DarkBlue88
Pro

Location: Charlotte NC, behind someone going 10 under the speed limit
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 88 fuel gauge question (84-89 also)

When I have 3 or 2 bars left on the LCD bar graph, it means the car's out of gas. It's run out before the reserve lamp came on. Otherwise it works ok, doesn't bounce excessively or anything. Is this normal op for these, or is the sending unit off/inaccurate towards the bottom of the tank?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Old87owner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know on my 87 Coupe, when I am at 1/4 full, I have enough gas to get me to the next gas station, provided it isnt to far away. Mine too seems to be like yours, 2 or 3 bars mean empty. In fact, when I am half full I need about 15 gallons of gas.

I too, will be interested in some replies you may get.

Harry
Old 05-14-2009, 03:44 PM
flynn508
Pro

Originally Posted by DarkBlue88
When I have 3 or 2 bars left on the LCD bar graph, it means the car's out of gas. It's run out before the reserve lamp came on. Otherwise it works ok, doesn't bounce excessively or anything. Is this normal op for these, or is the sending unit off/inaccurate towards the bottom of the tank?
I have been able to get into the reserve and know that I need gas soon; so if you guys are running out before you get to the reserve I'd say there is a problem with the sender or maybe the float is getting hung up. These are 20+ year old cars; have the tanks ever been down or had the senders or pumps fixed or replaced? If not, 20+ years on a sender is pretty good, no?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:12 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

2 years ago I bought a 35th Anni that had been in storage for 8 years with 87k on it. The gas gauge always showed full. Last spring the dash died so I had it repaired (power supply). The gas gauge started working except it would stay on full for about 200 miles and drop to 1/2 when empty. We found out the hard way. This spring it seems to be working perfectly. Could it be the 10% ethanol that all the gas has in it now that cleaned up the gauge while it sat in storage all this past winter. I love when things fix themselves.
I have read many posts about keeping the tank at least 1/4 full to cool the pump and lessen the chance of fuel starvation during cornering.

Get notified of new replies

To 88 fuel gauge question (84-89 also)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 fuel gauge question (84-89 also)