Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What's the Best Way to Wash a C4 Engine Bay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:31 AM
techvette
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default What's the Best Way to Wash a C4 Engine Bay?

I've been told it's not a good idea to power wash or hose down the engine bay for fear of getting the optispark wet.

My engine bay really could use a good cleaning. Got any tips?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:37 AM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really depends on the year of your car. If it has an opti, I wouldn't hose it down. I'd simply Simple Green it until it was all nice and clean. A non-opti, you can use a hose. An opti that gets wet is VERY likely to crap out on you and that's an expensive fix.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Dangerous waters...

I live on a dirt road, so dirt is a never ending battle. Having had my share of issues with washing the engine bays of not just Corvettes, I avoid pressure washing pretty much all together, except on areas where I know electronics will not get wet; e.g. suspension parts, cross member areas, and the like. Like the man said, "Simple Green" will do the heavy lifting, and if you want, you can remove the nozzle from the garden hose and gently rinse off the areas that are electronics free.

For the underside of the hood, I cover the bay with a tarp and after a pre-soak with SG, the garden hose/nozzle will work - or use your pressure washer (everyone has one of those, right??)

Beyond that, SG and rags, and more rags and once "clean", those silicone sprays will give it a clean, shiny look. Get carried away with water (pressure washing especially) and sooner or later it'll bite ya. If you have the Opti-spark, you have a terrific ignition system...until it gets wet. So, definitely avoid any water around the front of the LT1/4 engines.

Oh! Be sure to use plenty of elbow grease...and some more rags!

P.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:56 AM
dlb435
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use aluminium foil to cover the sensitive parts, spray the engine bay down this Simple Green or similar degreaser, wait ten minutes and hose off. Never had a problem.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Where is the Opti located? Sorry for the question but I'm new to Vettes. I have a 96.

What I've done with my other cars is when I'm done washing the car, any soap left in the bucket gets thrown on the engine. I then hose it down. Never had a problem, but I've read posts here that this can be a problem with the Vette. What should be covered if you wanted to hose it down?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:37 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Wathen1955
Where is the Opti located? Sorry for the question but I'm new to Vettes. I have a 96.

What I've done with my other cars is when I'm done washing the car, any soap left in the bucket gets thrown on the engine. I then hose it down. Never had a problem, but I've read posts here that this can be a problem with the Vette. What should be covered if you wanted to hose it down?

It's in the pic here. Directly under the water pump (great location as electricity and water don't mix).

Your '96 has the improved, vented Opti with a vacuum line designed to remove moisture, but you're playing on borrowed time if you continue to spray your unit with water during engine cleanings.

I'd stick with Simple Green and a whole bunch of shop towels, personally. But you should definitely wrap the coil, ICM and Opti in plastic to prevent them from getting wet.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:38 AM
lostnfoundC4
Pro

Use the Simple Green that is made for automotive applications. It's supposed to be easier on the cast aluminum parts.

It does a good job but it actually has a blue tint. Shouldn't it be called Simple....Blue?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Thanks Julian for the pic. Man! What a place for this. What about in normal wet weather?

What was the reason for locating it there?

Get notified of new replies

To What's the Best Way to Wash a C4 Engine Bay?

Quick Reply: What's the Best Way to Wash a C4 Engine Bay?