C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Sound System Any Ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 04:43 PM
jrod954
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Sound System Any Ideas??

My 1993 bose speakers are making noises (popping, static, etc) and I am contemplating just pulling the speakers and bose stereo and upgrading to cd system and new speakers. I am not familiar with good stereo systems - do you guys have any suggestions on which system, where to buy, who to install, etc. I appreciate your thoughts.

I am not against fixing the speakers (searched on this forum and sounds like amps are bad) but thinking this might be a good time to upgrade...

Anyone else upgrade their system in the vette and how does it sound??

Any regrets to upgrading?

Thanks!!
Old 08-01-2009, 11:20 AM
jrod954
Advanced

ttt
Old 08-01-2009, 11:31 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My 92 vert had a Bose but now has .....much better. Alpine head unit 6 cd changer, 500 watt kicker amp , modded the front speaker modules to accept 6 1/2 kicker speakers, 2 6 inch bazooka tubes with pyle driver speakers aimed at the back of the seats, got rid of the rear speakers as they just mess up the soundfield. A custom stereo will always blow away the Bose system...oh...ripped off the carpeting on the front modules and put speaker cloth on...waaaaaay better sound...don't know how they ever put carpeting on speaker units???
To do all this will require removal of the interior to wire this all up...sound deading under the carpets and door panel is a big plus too. Alpine, Sony, Pioneer all make decent head units. I liked the Kicker amp as it wasn't expensive and is able to power everything, 150 watts to each speaker with bass controls for the sub. You'll need heavy gauge wiring for the power and decent speaker wire. Speaker should be heard before bought, Infinity, pyle, boston accoustics, best bet would be to check the forums for reviews...lots of different speakers out there, some are just crap...can't hide crap speakers. Doing it all yourself will save big bucks but its a long job.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:40 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I had to make that decision this year myself.

I went with an alpine unit and Infinty speakers. I am glad I did. I did not go with an amp or sub. In this small of an area I don't need it and I don't "thump" anyway.

If you hire it out it will be expensive because all of your wiring needs replaced also. depending on the sound you want you may also not have to go with front speakers either. I can't even hear mine, but I would still replace the wiring up front in case you or someone in the future may want to add the front speakers.

I never thought about replacing the frone carpet with speaker fabric, that may work well but I wanted to keep it as close to original as possible. But that is a good idea for those who wish to go this route. There is a good informative thread on this in the audio section.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:39 PM
jrod954
Advanced

where did you place the cd changer (behind pass. seat)? I would like to go with cd changer and upgrade with better speakers! Thanks for the responses.

Is it hard to install system yourself or just time consuming or both? I am not the best at electronics...
Old 08-02-2009, 12:34 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by jrod954
where did you place the cd changer (behind pass. seat)? I would like to go with cd changer and upgrade with better speakers! Thanks for the responses.

Is it hard to install system yourself or just time consuming or both? I am not the best at electronics...
If you don't have some basic ability on installs I recommend you stay away from it. Or if you know someone who has some experience maybe they can help. For an experienced installer this is a day project. For a part-timer it is a full wekend job. For the installer challenged it is a two to four weekend job.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:03 PM
darkstallion_69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I just finished changing my factory Delco sound system on my 94 vette. I kept it relatively cheap but got great results. I took out all the speakers and replaced them with Pioneer TS-A 4-ways. I got the original mount from the front that houses a 4x6 and cut out a 6.5 inch hole so I can put the bigger speaker. Out back I stayed with the 6x9's. I replaced the radio with a Sony CDX-GT330 which has red lighting that matches my red interior perfectly and doesnt stand out at night with the orange lighting. The sound quality is great and has all the sound tweaking I need. For the bass I got a shallow mount box with a single 10" Kicker CVT Shallow mount subwoofer. I picked up a 300 watt Dual Amplifier and bridged it to the sub. It sound really good crystal clear and the bass fills out nicely and can hit hard if I want it too even with my billy boat exhaust in the background. I installed the amp kit myself to save money. Everything came out to around $400 and it was worth it. If anybody has any questions let me know and ill try to help. Oh and the sys light came on so I have to do the resistors thing

Get notified of new replies

To New Sound System Any Ideas??

Quick Reply: New Sound System Any Ideas??