My hood release cable has worked fine since I bought my 88' but many threads here have mentioned horror stories of a broken cable and not being able to get the hood open.
One great solution that has been discussed here was a set of emergency release cables in the wipers area.
I decided to make a pair for mine and thought I would take some photo's to share for people like me who find a photo or drawing often times more understandable than only words.
Total cost was $7.00 !! 1/16" wire cable at .69 cents a foot, and one package of Cable Clamps and Stops and state tax. The clamps are aluminum and need to be hit with a hammer against a steel bar to crimp the cable properly.
Here is the location of the existing factory installed cable. Adjacent to the cable connection is a small opening that allows the 1/16" cable to go through.
This next one is a close up of the clamps I used.
Since I was using 1/16 cable I decided to drill a 1/8" hole through the rubber guard below the wipers to allow free movement. I tried to make the cable lay as straight as possible. This photo is the cable before being cut and the stop being put on.
These next two photo's show the cables completed, and the last is a close up of the connection. I intend to paint them black to make them blend in and not be so noticable.
Total time 30 minutes (a guy has to sip some malt beverage on a job like this )
I now have a great piece of mind knowing if my primary cable fails, I can still gain access to the underhood to fix it.
I installed my emergency cables last night, My hood cable broke Sunday. I pulled RF tire & pulled some bolts out of wheel well. I then used long screwdriver to push hood latch open. I went to good ole Wally world last night & bought 2, 12" 50 lb fishing leaders for .$50 snapped each 1 on to each hood latch. It works great. I thought since my hood release cable was new there would be no problem, luckly I was home when release cable came off.