Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Wilwood brakes on the track beast...

Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by COPO
FYI........A simple pad change he can go to 1.25. You can get a 1.25 12.88-14.25 inch rotor front and rear just as can a 1.1 in 12.88-14.25 front and rear. 1.38 up to 16 inch front and rear. And as i stated I assumed he got the 1.25.
Really? That's pretty slick then. Why don't they include the thicker rotor and thinner pads by default?

If Wilwood had been better about advertising that feature, I probably would have bought them over the Baer setup. That would be nice to have that choice.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I actually found a set of Wilwoods that would fit under my buzzsaw with and 1/8in spacer

the trouble is they're so narrow I'm wondering if they'll be up to the task of what I want to do.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:45 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I should have also mentioned that if you are installing these, pay attention to the shimming and alignment of the caliper VERY closely. I did it by eyeball, lining up the top of the pad with the top of the rotor. Everything worked like a champ initially, and still does on the right side. However on the left, I was apparently about 1/32" (at most) too low with the caliper and once the pads wore down a little the backing plate actually came in contact with the rotor hat under braking. With the 13" rotor it is a very close fit to begin with. It "machined" a nice little groove in the hat all the way around and gave a wicked vibration (obviously) when it hit. I stuck in a thin washer to space it up and all was well again. Everything is perfectly usable and safe, but I'll probably end up buying a new hat and using the damaged one as a spare.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:22 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by COPO
FYI........A simple pad change he can go to 1.25. You can get a 1.25 12.88-14.25 inch rotor front and rear just as can a 1.1 in 12.88-14.25 front and rear. 1.38 up to 16 inch front and rear. And as i stated I assumed he got the 1.25.

Not exactly. While the use of the narrower pads would seemingly work out the caliper will barely accept this width rotor. And not leave the required 16mm of spacer on each side for the thinner pads.

Also moving from a 1.0 or 1.1" wide rotor to a 1.25 or wider will require hat offset modifications or replacement as the caliper and rotor center line will shift with this change. Or the caliper brackets will need to be moved relative to the spindle possibly leading to other fit issues or rotor to LCA contact and such.

The parts do not interchange on kits as easily at this comment might suggest. Please purchase only those items specific to your kit (part numbers on the pdf) for proper fit.

The only "easy" change is to go from 13"d to 14"d with the use of a larger rotor and necessary radial mount spacer. Width changes are a whole different ballgame.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:44 PM
lt1396corvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redls1gto
It is the kit from Wilwood. The part number is 140-8337. I got them from someone else who is a friend of mine and got me an unbeatable price. However, I looked around a LOT and by far the best place to go is either Summit Racing or DRM (vendor). It is a little cheaper from Summit, but the guys at DRM really know their stuff and can actually provide support once you buy it. If I hadn't had an awesome deal come through, I was going with DRM.

You will also need to get a brake line kit to get it all to work since the fittings are different. It is 220-8338. I got that straight from Wilwood because Summit and Jegs both had a 3 week backorder.
Nice brake set-up.I'd like too do these in the future.I checked out the pricesDid'nt really surprize me though.You get what you pay for.I could imagine the difference is amazing.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:07 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

I edited my previous post as well... I did go with the 1.1" rotor. I was looking at a 1.25" kit as well but it included a different offset hat (like Todd mentioned) and I wasn't sure that it would all fit cleanly so I went the safe route.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redls1gto
I edited my previous post as well... I did go with the 1.1" rotor. I was looking at a 1.25" kit as well but it included a different offset hat (like Todd mentioned) and I wasn't sure that it would all fit cleanly so I went the safe route.
I believe DRM sells the Wilwood kit that uses the wider rotors, but you have to machine the knuckle to run them. I think C5 brakes are about the only easyish way to get thicker rotors on our cars.

Anyway, still a cool kit, and it's great to know the stock-sized rotors can handle some track-day heat!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:22 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Aurora40
I believe DRM sells the Wilwood kit that uses the wider rotors, but you have to machine the knuckle to run them. I think C5 brakes are about the only easyish way to get thicker rotors on our cars.

Anyway, still a cool kit, and it's great to know the stock-sized rotors can handle some track-day heat!
Exactly... the DRM was the other one that I was considering, although I hadn't heard about machining the knuckles. As far as heat goes, no issues so far even though I was on them pretty hard trying to test them out. I do have cooling ducts installed though...

Old 09-02-2015, 07:53 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
Exactly... the DRM was the other one that I was considering, although I hadn't heard about machining the knuckles. As far as heat goes, no issues so far even though I was on them pretty hard trying to test them out. I do have cooling ducts installed though...

curious where you got the naca duct and spindle mount for this setup?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Wilwood brakes on the track beast...