Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need help: Adhevise type for under upper reveal molding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Gludlow
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help: Adhevise type for under upper reveal molding?

I decided to replace the upper reveal molding on the 1996 Vette. This is the piece of trim immediately at the top of the windsheild, above the glass and underneath the weatherstripping on the outside of the vehicle.

When I removed the old piece, there was a black, rubber-like adhesive under it that bonded it to the body and top of the glass. I've asked around, called places and the word I've gotten back is that it is a double-sided 3M adhesive tape.

Is that right? It feels very rubbery, and at a couple places appears to have "flowed" as if it were a paste or caulk-like material when it was out down.

If anyone knows a part number/exact item of that material, please let me know! Can't drive it under I get it fixed
Old 08-18-2009, 03:45 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

The black stuff is likely 3M bedding and glazing compound. When I did mine, I got a tube of the stuff and a caulking gun and it worked fine. The stuff that was in there was double sided foam tape which is I think what came from the factory. Some suggested using some RTV which I think would have sealed the best, but would have made removal a nightmare.

So I went with the black putty stuff and it worked fine.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Gludlow
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, from reading up on RTV compound, I think that's what is there now. It is dry, rubbery, and very strong. It reminds me of Ultra Black once it dries out.

I'll use the 3M compound. I just hope I can find an easy way to remove the adhesive already on there. My next line of attack is a razorblade to remove the remaining adhesive, clean off the rust best I can, and hope for the best ;-)

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Need help: Adhevise type for under upper reveal molding?

Quick Reply: Need help: Adhevise type for under upper reveal molding?