C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

ABS /ASR lights and crooked dealership

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 10:59 PM
Ozman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS /ASR lights and crooked dealership

A couple of months ago I posted that I was having trouble with the ABS and ASR warning lights coming on. I was told that this was caused by the brake fluid being low. The owners manual also said this. Ever since I put more brake fluid in, the lights have not come on. So thanks to all who replied.

Now I'm angry because the Chevy garage that orginally looked at the problem told me that these lights were coming on because I needed a new master cylinder, new rear brakes and rear hubs. They would do all of this, plus an alignment after replacing the hubs, for a paltry $2100!

I'm going to have these things checked out by another garage just in case, but I will never take my car to this dealership for service again. Who else has had a similar experience with a garage trying to screw them?
Old 02-19-2002, 12:03 AM
Rob 93ZR-1
Race Director

Location: Fear causes hesitaiton...and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. Houston TX
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: ABS /ASR lights and crooked dealership (Ozman)

Remember a couple things when dealing w/ those guys. 1) You are prey. 2) Service writers get paid on commision. I use the dealer as a last resort if I can't get something done elsewhere ie CCM programmed.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:21 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Something you might want to check. Why was your brake fluid low? If it's leaking you've got a serious problem. Most likely it's just because your pads are worn, essentially lowering your fluid level until you replace the pads. Mine did the same thing and I added fluid for a little while but I checked on the brakes ASAP and sure enough they were shot. I replaced the pads (of course now the fluid was too full and I had to remove some) and everything has been great ever sense.

Just a heads up that you are treating the symptom and not the cause. I'd hate to see a fellow Vette owner go because of no brakes.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:05 AM
Black85L98
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you filled it and have not lost any fluid you should be OK. Check your pads. They are easy to replace. Do not wait until you trash your rotors they are expensive, pads are cheap.

As to the shop, knowledge is power. Learn more about your car and you can tell them what needs to be fixed. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To ABS /ASR lights and crooked dealership

Quick Reply: ABS /ASR lights and crooked dealership