Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

88 ABS pump removal and line lock added

Old 10-01-2009, 06:56 AM
gsixl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 88 ABS pump removal and line lock added

I am posting this as it may be helpful to someone wanting to do part or all of this. My ABS has not functioned for years and I have always wanted to remove the system. First of all the ABS pump is located behind the drivers seat under compartment tray. Simply unplugging the wiring harness to the components this will make the ABS light go out on the dash. The pump has 5 brake lines the lower right hand (passenger side) line is to rear brakes from master cylinder the lower left is front brakes from master cylinder. The top right hand line is out to rear brakes. The two lines on the upper left are to front left and right brakes. All lines to pump are 3/16" bubble flare metric fittings (M10X1.0). Fittings for these are tough to find but Auto Z has the metric union and you can use it to connect the rear brake lines together after removing the pump. Gently twist lower line up and upper line down and connect with the union. Rear brakes are done. I could not find a metric T fitting would have simplified the job for the front brakes. I purchased a double flaring tool and cut the ends off of all three lines and replaced with sae fittings then reflared the lines. At this point you can reconnect the three lines using a 3/16" inverted flare fitting. Or as I did add a line lock between the master cylinder line in and the T fitting going to the front brakes. You can bleed most of the air at the furthest connection from the master cylinder but will probably need to bleed at each caliper to remove all the air. I used one of the ignition on hot wires from the abs system to power my line lock, I think it was pink with black stripe. Was not a comfortable job but was worth the effort. The brakes function as before and the line lock works great. This was done on a 1988 model may not work on different years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 ABS pump removal and line lock added