C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

"Other" color Zr1 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Syclone354
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Other" color Zr1 wheels

Since the ZR1 style wheels are so popular, im sure there has to be people with these wheels that are something other than black, satin, polished, or chrome.

I hate the black, car currently has satin which im not a fan of, i have polished zr1's on the syclone, and chrome is a no-no for a year round daily driver.

So, anyone have pictures of a c4 with "other" color zr1 wheels. I 1) want to get rid of the satin wheels on the car and 2) want to go to 17x11 in the rear. My car is dark blue with saddle interior. I was thinking about different wheels for the syclone and putting the polished zr1's on the vette since they fit and would get me the 17x11 on the back.

OR i was thinking about buying 2 17x11 satin wheels and then taking the whole set and having them powder coated. Im not normally a big fan of bronze wheels, but i think it would look good on the car and would kind of go with the saddle interior.

Any pics, thoughts, etc are welcome!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:31 PM
VETTEHIGH
Pro

I love the black

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/Gotti015.jpg
Old 10-01-2009, 07:54 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

AFS Wheels (one of the first companies to make a ZR-1 style wheel) offered a red wheel but it wasn't real popular.

There were a number of wheels in the 80's that had gold centers and that may work with blue. Most of the ZR-1 aftermarket wheels in black or silver-gray are powdercoated so you should be able to get a powdercoating company to do the work.

I would suggest a gold that is sort of a muted tone and leave more area on the rim to appear in chrome or polished aluminum. Then have the entire wheel clear coated.

Another option for a "stealth look"is to have the wheels done to match the blue color of the car. Maybe even a shade darker blue.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen the a-molds in white on a white car, which looked good, and in gunmetal on a red car, which looked good.

I don't know about bronze. Maybe if it were more of a faint goldish color, like the C5 export wheels? I dunno, I can't picture it anyway. But I also suffer from a lack of imagination.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 PM
neverendingprojects
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny to have come across this thread,
I was considering doing exactly this to my silver ZR1 wheels. I had figured since I have a white car with the beige interior, that this would look pretty darn good... (Something similar to the color of the magnesium C5 wheel),, I was also considering a GS type stripe in the same color, but those are becoming way too popular on C4s now...

I would definitely go with a very pale shade of gold, otherwise I am certain that they would look like hell....

Give it a shot!

FWIW, I do recall seeing a metallic blue IROC-Z with Gold wheels/trim, and beige interior, and to be honest...It was not the best looking color scheme on a car!

Last edited by neverendingprojects; 10-01-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Syclone354
Instructor

Just did a google image search for "bronze wheels". This is kind of what I have in mind. I probably wouldnt do the polished lip.

Probably closer to this (looks a tad darker)

Here is the only dark blue car with the color wheels im thinking that i could find quick on a google image search.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Syclone354
Instructor

Originally Posted by VETTEHIGH
I will say that is not a bad looking car.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 PM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't the 30th ani trans ams have light blue zr1 style wheels? I don't know how that would look on a blue car though.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Syclone354
Instructor

Originally Posted by blakngold4life
Don't the 30th ani trans ams have light blue zr1 style wheels? I don't know how that would look on a blue car though.
Im not sure. ill have to search that. I can say that i dont think having the wheels match the color of the car ever looks that good.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:33 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by blakngold4life

Get notified of new replies

To "Other" color Zr1 wheels

Quick Reply: "Other" color Zr1 wheels