C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

please help! misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default please help! misfiring

iv been searching misfires, but it seems like every single thread people are suggesting something different. so heres whats up. its a 94 6 speed. i posted up about 2 weeks ago, about how i was getting a bad misfire under heavy load, and i had checked my wires in the dark, and i saw most of them lighting up at the plug, and 2 of them lighting up along the wire. so last night i replaced my plugs and wires with msd 8.5mm wires, and ngk plugs. got it all back together and took it out, and its still missing under load. i checked it in the dark again and i can still see it lighting up at some of the plugs. now heres the thing, its only misses sometimes under load. sometimes i can stomp on it and not really have any missing, then other times it runs like crap. im wondering if its my opti. i put the car in 5th gear at about 20mph and stomped on it and the car barely ran, barely accelerated. i did this 3 times. now, when i got the car the guy told me he had put a new water pump in cause the old one was leaking. i asked about the opti and he said he didnt replace it cause it was fine. now, he could be lying about that, but i know it is a pretty new water pump so he did change that. so is this all pointing towards a bad opti, or are there some other things i could check? also, if it is the opti, would this cause me to be able to see the plugs lighting up in the dark? i thought that was only for bad plugs and wires but i just put them in last night? please help, this is killing me!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:04 PM
VetteHeadz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest replacing the coil first then the ICM, if the coil replacement, does not make the issue go away. I have come close to replacing my opti 3 times and it has always been something else.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

well, i got the problem figured out. as embarassing as it is to say, 5 of the wires werent completely on the plugs haha. the msd were very tough to get locked in, but i got them all on and the cars running great now. thanks so!

Get notified of new replies

To please help! misfiring

Quick Reply: please help! misfiring