Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

HELP! No front targa top bolts?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Joe Deb Vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! No front targa top bolts?????

I'm really confused and need some help. Have an aftermarket targa top that was rattling, so I took the front trim pieces off to install the top properly (as Melrose Tops advises on their website) and I may be nuts, but as I go to tighten the top, there are no bolts visible? How is that possible? Does anyone have any photos of their front targa tops with the roof off? If I recall my old top, there were 2 bolts visible when the roof was off, and with my new top there are none. But I don't understand where they could have gone as I've tightened the top down before?

Can I purchase bolts at Home Cheapo or Lowes, or do I need to find a vendor who sells replacement bolts? If anyone has any pics of the bolts, or knows the size, etc, that would help a great deal, as I have no idea where to start....

Hope this all makes sense, have the vette apart in my driveway with a ton of snow all around, and I'm perplexed.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:39 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The two front bolts for the top are supposed to be in the windshield header.

The bolts are supposed to be held in place so that they don't fall out. Is there a possibility that they fell out when you remoived the windshield header trim?? With the top off, the tip of the bolt should be visible. If the bolt isn't there, you should be able to look down through the hole and see the floorboard.

I would bet that the bolts are a specific design for the task and they won't available at any hardware store. Chances are the dealers may not even have them although the same bolts were used up through the 96 model year. Could be worth a call to a dealer.

Just checked the Melrose T-top website and they show the front top bolts in their catalog p/n 4090603 in a package of 10

Last edited by c4cruiser; 02-13-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Joe Deb Vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The two front bolts for the top are supposed to be in the windshield header.

The bolts are supposed to be held in place so that they don't fall out. Is there a possibility that they fell out when you remoived the windshield header trim?? With the top off, the tip of the bolt should be visible. If the bolt isn't there, you should be able to look down through the hole and see the floorboard.

I would bet that the bolts are a specific design for the task and they won't available at any hardware store. Chances are the dealers may not even have them although the same bolts were used up through the 96 model year. Could be worth a call to a dealer.

Just checked the Melrose T-top website and they show the front top bolts in their catalog p/n 4090603 in a package of 10
Appreciate the help! I'll check out Melrose. The bolts can't be found, I really have no idea how they disappeared. This may end up on an episode of "Unsolved Mysteries"....just bizarre.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! No front targa top bolts?????

Quick Reply: HELP! No front targa top bolts?????