C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Targa Top seals

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:57 AM
drayset1010
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa Top seals

Is there anyone here that can help me with the best way to change out the targa top seals or should I take it to a pro.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Bob M
Drifting

+1
I have new seals that the paint shop installed when they painted the 84. But they don't wanna stay in place. Give us a little help will ya?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Swedish Hot Rod
Advanced

Maybe this will help?

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-3-162-9361.html
Old 02-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Bob M
Drifting

Originally Posted by Swedish Hot Rod
No offense, but that was a little generic. I need to know about the targa top seals specifically. These are the short pieces that just cover above the door window on each side. I have never worked on weatherstripping in ANYTHING much less a Corvette. I guess I am intimidated!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Just remove the old seal and clean out the track. Use plenty of 3M Adhesive when installing the replacement seal and place it back onto the car and lock it down until dry. Its not really that hard to do as they are short side pieces.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:48 PM
91 corvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I did mine last week. Remove the old weatherstipping and remove the track on each side.I used wd-40 to get the old adhesive out of the tracks. Replace the tracks and use 3m adhesive and slide new weatherstripping in the tracks.Not hard to do.I have done all the weatherstripping on my car now. There is a first time for everything,so get r done.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Gary96
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob M
No offense, but that was a little generic. I need to know about the targa top seals specifically. These are the short pieces that just cover above the door window on each side. I have never worked on weatherstripping in ANYTHING much less a Corvette. I guess I am intimidated!
Don’t be intimidated. I replaced both the windshield header pillar and rear pillar. It wasn’t bad at all. It was the first time that I've replaced any weatherstrip on a car. I still need to replace the roof panel sides like you do when spring gets here.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Bob M
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary96
Don’t be intimidated. I replaced both the windshield header pillar and rear pillar. It wasn’t bad at all. It was the first time that I've replaced any weatherstrip on a car. I still need to replace the roof panel sides like you do when spring gets here.
My biggest problem is that the paint shop already put the new side panel strips on with the pillar strips. I just don't think they used any adhesive. I think they thought that the track was all that held the strip in.
BTW: Any pics?

Last edited by Bob M; 02-16-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Pic request.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Gary96
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob M
My biggest problem is that the paint shop already put the new side panel strips on with the pillar strips. I just don't think they used any adhesive. I think they thought that the track was all that held the strip in.
BTW: Any pics?
I didn't use a lot of adhesive on mine. There are several members here who said that they didn't use any adhesive at all. The weatherstrip fits into the track great without adhesive.

Before:

The new weatherstrip just snaps into the channel above the arrow and also on the other side below it:

After:

Last edited by Gary96; 02-17-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 PM
91 corvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When they took the old off there should have been alot of old adhesive.Thats why I used wd-40 to loosen the old stuff. Even rookies know you have to glue it back on. Its not hard for you to fix it.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Bob M
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary96
I'll try to get some pics here tomorrow. I didn't use a lot of adhesive on mine. There are several members here who said that they didn't use any adhesive at all. The weatherstrip fits into the track great without adhesive.
Thanks. I can use all the visual aids and help I can get!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Did both Targas on my 87. The biggest problem is getting the old w/s out. I used 3M adhesive remover to clean the channel and no adhesive when I installed it. Didn't use adhesive for 3 reasons: 1. I found that when putting in the w/s sometimes you gotta move it around a little or remove and re-install, lot easier without glue. 2. usually end up with more glue on me than the w/s 3. those suckers fit pretty tight in the channel.

When I took off the w/s around the windshield and B pillar, the channels were absolutely pristine, never had any glue in them, so I figured that the car came from the factory that way.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:12 PM
czarredd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So I'm removing the w/s from targa sides so I can replace and the screws are rusted badly. Broke top of one screw leaving the rest of it in the hole....how do I remove it? Also, im not seeing a hole in the targa where one of the other screws is suppose to go. Noticed that there were 2 plastic pieces behind old weatherstrip with holes in them for screws....do I reuse these?

Get notified of new replies

To Targa Top seals

Quick Reply: Targa Top seals