Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 General Discussion
General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
vettnut
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Location: Bismarck ND
Default Restoring/cleaning up Aluminum Suspension Parts

What materials/techniques are some of you using to clean-up your suspension parts? Not sure if I want to polish. Thanks DG
vettnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
John A. Marker
CF Senior Member
 
John A. Marker's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2004
Location: Dublin CA
Default

lacquer thinner on the really bad stuff, then simple green then Mother Aluminum polish.
__________________
1995 LT1 6 speed - stock.
SOLD to son ** 1985 Coup -ZZ4 balanced, LPE 74211 , AFR 180 heads, SuperRam base, runners & plenum, cut out air box, K & N , power coupler, 52MM TB, March pulleys, AFPR, Accel injectors, Walbro FP, 1.6 RR, chip by TJWONG, 160 stat, cut back plugs, 8.5MM MSD wires, custom camber-brace,TRANSGO shift kit, 2400 stall converter, cross drilled rotors, SS brake lines, VBP camber rods, IAS Edelbrock shocks, exhaust, Magnflow cat, 3.07 gears, 13.2 @107.2 MPH in 1/4
John A. Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
jaa1992
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12
 
jaa1992's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
James Anderson
Send a message via MSN to jaa1992
Default

Do a search cause someone found an aluminum cleaner spray that did a fantastic job.

I used a lot of brakekleen (walmart brand at a buck less a can), lots of paper towels, steel wool, sandpaper, and a wire wheel on my drill. It took weeks of cleaning when I got the parts off the car and removed the old bushings.
jaa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
socalman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
socalman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2009
Location: OC Calif
Default

Easy way- start with a dry rag and drag off all the gunk. Then use fantastic or 409, get the rest of the grease, dirt off. DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN

Then stick a wire brush wheel in a drill and go to town. Fast and easy, less elbow grease. If you want them to 'shine' vs. looking like new aluminum, then you'll need to use the elbow grease with polish.

Last edited by socalman; 03-06-2010 at 08:28 PM.
socalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
pologreen1
CF Senior Member
 
pologreen1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman View Post
Easy way- start with a dry rag and drag off all the gunk. Then use simple green, fantastic or 409, get the rest of the grease, dirt off.

Then stick a wire brush wheel in a drill and go to town. Fast and easy, less elbow grease. If you want them to 'shine' vs. looking like new aluminum, then you'll need to use the elbow grease with polish.

remove bulk, then use spray, or air compresser sprayers with detergent, and it comes off, then steel wool, or use what ever to shine up.
pologreen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:55 AM   #6
Joe C
CF Senior Member
 
Joe C's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Default

prepsol on the caked-on grease, and i used a small wirebrush to brighten up any components that were really stained. i followed up with plenty of simple green and a (gray) scotchbright. -

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

to me, cleaning and detaining suspension on these cars is mental therapy -
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
Pop Evans
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Meridian MS
Default

Morning, I saw a reference to "Simple Green" and had to comment. Forgive me for not remembering "all" the details but anyway here goes.
In my other life as a Quality Control Superintendent in the AF we were also very involved in safety issues. There was a safety notice sent out around the late 80's or early 90's about Simple Green. It seems that some flight line folks had been using it to clean wheels and other parts on aircraft rather than the "approved" mil-spec cleaner. During a normal daily walkaround there were several instances of broken bolts found on the ground around the A/C area. It was discovered that the Simple Green would cause damage to the lug bolts on the wheels, weaking them and causing the bolts to pop while the aircraft were sitting on the ground.
The problem was traced to a change in the bolts caused by a chemical reaction of the cleaner. At that time Simple Green was banned from use in and around all aircraft. Never heard anything after that. That's about as best as I can recall.
It would be hell to loose your ... well at any speed.
Regards Pop
Pop Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
Joe C
CF Senior Member
 
Joe C's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Evans View Post
Morning, I saw a reference to "Simple Green" and had to comment. Forgive me for not remembering "all" the details but anyway here goes.
In my other life as a Quality Control Superintendent in the AF we were also very involved in safety issues. There was a safety notice sent out around the late 80's or early 90's about Simple Green. It seems that some flight line folks had been using it to clean wheels and other parts on aircraft rather than the "approved" mil-spec cleaner. During a normal daily walkaround there were several instances of broken bolts found on the ground around the A/C area. It was discovered that the Simple Green would cause damage to the lug bolts on the wheels, weaking them and causing the bolts to pop while the aircraft were sitting on the ground.
The problem was traced to a change in the bolts caused by a chemical reaction of the cleaner. At that time Simple Green was banned from use in and around all aircraft. Never heard anything after that. That's about as best as I can recall.
It would be hell to loose your ... well at any speed.
Regards Pop
good point - here's a reference - http://www.mechanicsupport.com/aircraft_cleaning.html

simple green does have a cleaner for use in the aircraft industry. don't know if its mil approved, but it does meet some Boeing spec - ???

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/09-00809.php

after reading you're post, i'll have second thoughts about using "plain" simple green on aluminum...

Last edited by Joe C; 03-06-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
GREGG-73
CF Senior Member
 
GREGG-73's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2003
Location: JOPPA MD
Gregg Plapas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Marker View Post
lacquer thinner on the really bad stuff, then simple green then Mother Aluminum polish.


That will work and work well!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay in tune...
GREGG-73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #10
ks5shooter
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ks5shooter's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2009
Location: Tabernacle NJ
Default

After you are done cleaning them up,put a coat of wax on them.They just wipe clean after that
__________________
2nd vice commander American Legion post 194 SAL

"For God and Country"

Not everyone wore love beads in the 60's.


ks5shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
FOURSPEEDVETTE
CF Senior Member
 
FOURSPEEDVETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Default

I used Simple Green with bad results. It definitely cleaned the aluminum suspension parts well, but even after I thoroughly rinsed it all off, I noticed that some of the parts were turning white the next day. I re-cleaned them and then waxed them. That stopped the discoloration.
FOURSPEEDVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Valencia Ca.
Default

SImple green has a tendency to discolor aluminum, if its polished it will leave dark stains you may never be able to get out.
cuisinartvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
torchred89
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2001
Location: sterling va usa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Marker View Post
lacquer thinner on the really bad stuff, then simple green then Mother Aluminum polish.
torchred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
JrRifleCoach
CF Senior Member
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15
 
JrRifleCoach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: "Government failure is not only an option, it is Standard Operating Procedure in the Republik of Kalifornico"

Default

I used "Awesome" found at most Dollar or 99 cent stores. Its a great cleaner and followed by a good rinsing with clear water. Then polish with the non metallic rotary wheels found at most hardware stores. A coat of ZoopSeal to seal the finish.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

These photos where taken five years ago so a lot of miles have been logged.
Since then my lug nuts have not popped off nor has the suspension split or cracked.
The only problem so far was the corrosion of some steel bolts after running on the salt flats.

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 03-06-2010 at 12:20 PM.
JrRifleCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
c4cruiser
CF Senior Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
c4cruiser's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Lacey, Washington RVN '68-'69
Default

Simple Green works if you dilute is some (maybe a 50% solution) but don't leave it on for any length of time, especially if you use it full-strength. And rinse it well! After using Simple Green, use a detergent soap to re-clean the area followed by another rinse.
c4cruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #16
Pop Evans
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Meridian MS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4cruiser View Post
Simple Green works if you dilute is some (maybe a 50% solution) but don't leave it on for any length of time, especially if you use it full-strength. And rinse it well! After using Simple Green, use a detergent soap to re-clean the area followed by another rinse.
You may be right, then again we never know what will happen in 4 or 5 years down the road when something breaks and the blame is "metal fatuge". Especially on a 20 year old vehicle. The unanswered question is why did it fatuge and break when "Joe the plummer's" didn't? Just my $0.02 worth.
Regards Pop
Pop Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #17
astepup
CF Senior Member
 
astepup's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Schaller Iowa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach View Post
I used "Awesome" found at most Dollar or 99 cent stores. Its a great cleaner and followed by a good rinsing with clear water. Then polish with the non metallic rotary wheels found at most hardware stores. A coat of ZoopSeal to seal the finish.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

These photos where taken five years ago so a lot of miles have been logged.
Since then my lug nuts have not popped off nor has the suspension split or cracked.
The only problem so far was the corrosion of some steel bolts after running on the salt flats.
So that's where the oil filter is......good to know. Nice looking job there BTW
astepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
Elrick
CF Senior Member
 
Elrick's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2009
Location: colchester CT
Default

I just got done doing this and I used some brake clean first, wiped off the major gunk and then steel wool followed by mothers aluminum polish. It was quick and easy and came out nice
Elrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #19
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Valencia Ca.
Default

Nice JR, detail the heck out of it then drive it to Utah and run the flats. Love it
cuisinartvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #20
JrRifleCoach
CF Senior Member
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15
 
JrRifleCoach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: "Government failure is not only an option, it is Standard Operating Procedure in the Republik of Kalifornico"

Default

I ain't a waxer. Thats been documented.
JrRifleCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:56 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 General Discussion
Reload this Page Restoring/cleaning up Aluminum Suspension Parts
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension bolts SoAlVette C4 General Discussion 1 02-01-2014 10:10 PM
What products are you using to clean under carriage and suspension parts for C5 l1dws Car Care Discussion 7 12-25-2013 01:51 PM
Undercarriage cleaning LMB-Z Car Care Discussion 3 05-17-2013 06:28 AM
which cleaner best for degreasing suspension LT1driver C3 Tech/Performance 16 08-24-2004 02:39 AM
How do I clean up my firewall? BB68Vett C3 Tech/Performance 9 09-18-2001 06:26 PM


Tags
1999, aluminum, c4, c5, car, cars, clean, cleaner, cleaning, corvette, custom, parts, popping, rear, suspension


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Emails & Password Backup