corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Beware vert owners - underground sprinklers

This will also apply to those of you who park with the top off.
Several years ago I parked my C3 vert at my clinic on a nice spring Sunday afternoon.
I drove there with the top down and left it down. From time to time I would look outside and admire my black beauty.
A while later one of the patients came in and said, "Whoever owns that black convertible better move it!" "The sprinklers just came on and it is getting soaked!"
I rushed outside and moved it to a dryer spot. With a couple of towels I was able to dry things off but I had a wet **** from moving the car.
Ever happened to you?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:12 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Yes, once just after buying it (2nd week) , and now again with the new one just this weekend.

Parked at Dad's house to pick him up for a little cruise. Went in the backyard and then the sprinklers went off (he had a hose with an electric timer and one of those giant oscilating deals). Went out 20 minutes later and the car was soaked! Took 4 towels to get the water off the seats and floors. Luckily middle of summer and dried out nicely.

Now, this past Sunday (wasn't suppose to rain and sun was out) took the C5 for a cruise (bought 2 weeks ago) Took the targa off at the end destination for the cruise back. Parked out front and went in the house. 1/2 hour later a hard fast rain storm hit. This time it only took 2 towels for the seats as I caught it much sooner.

We now figure this is our baptism for our cars. Both caught with tops down within weeks of just purchasing.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

No, and I hope it never does. I rarely ever drive the car some where that I have to park it.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had something similar happen to my SUV. The new cars if the unlock button is pushed and held down both front windows come down. I was waiting for my wife and sat down to watched some TV. A half hour later in the pouring rain and high wind we got out to it. Both windows down - console,dash,seats and floor soaked. I hate that option. Luckily the roof doesn't open too.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 220 Likes on 153 Posts

not yet
Old 03-10-2010, 02:57 AM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I hope not!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:52 AM
LindenBob
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once

Was out of town to a car show, parked way far from all so as to get no door dings. Summer night, nice spot next to a flower island. Top on, windows up. Came out in the morning to a free car wash. Had all my detail items and towels with me but boy I kept thinking what a dummy I was :o
Old 03-10-2010, 12:04 PM
VetteBabe1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, but I just had a "friend" paint my car, and got it back completely flooded on the inside (literally water standing in the floor and seats draining water out when taken out and held up in the air), after apparently it was left out in a Nor-easter with no windows in it, as told by one of the other guys at the shop.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw a pic once of a garage way up north where a water pipe burst and ran for a long time in freezing temps. The cars inside became part of the glacier. That would be the ultimate, having to wait til spring then cleaning up your car. Cant imagine leaving the windows down in the garage and then having that happen.

Get notified of new replies

To Beware vert owners - underground sprinklers

Quick Reply: Beware vert owners - underground sprinklers