C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help with Code 16-Low Resolution Pulse

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 PM
4corvettes
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Help with Code 16-Low Resolution Pulse

I have a '92 with LT1 and keep getting a code 16 after car gets warm. Sometimes it won't start after it is warm and has sat for a few minutes. It will turn over with starter, but, will not fire. After a while, it cools and starts right up. When this happens, I get the code 16. At times, it will stall at driving speeds and when I pull over, it will usually start within a couple minutes. I also get a code 16 when this happens. It has not stranded me yet, but, I don't trust it these days. Previous owner installed MSD opti about 1000 miles ago, but, it is now out of warranty. I have tried troubleshooting as per the service manual, but, the MSD has a hard wired distributor connection, so no plug to disconnect at the opti. I can only check voltage at the test connector by the fuel rail. I get no spark and no injector pulse as the ECM is not recognizing the low pulse and cuts out spark and fuel.

Is my problem in the distributor? Do I need a new one already? Has anybody else had this happen? Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:31 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

MSD's opti is built like a tank. Too bad they filled it with cheap, slow responding photocells that barely make it through the warranty period. Looks like you (also) got one of their turkeys. It seems to be hit or miss with them. You either get one that is super great or you get one with borderline electronics. At that price they should test EACH Opti before shipping it and include the data sheets in the box. Maybe that way they would have a more dependable product that you wouldn't have to buy two of just to get one good one.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:05 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Yep its OPTI time. Good news is that its been done once so its just a day of work in the garage.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Replace your Opti. May want to look at replacing the water pump at the same time. Make sure the new replacement Opti is the newer vented style if you decided to revert to OEM. GC
Old 04-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Warren Seale
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep the optical module inside is out of commision.

Warren
Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 PM
demon seed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also got a dud from MSD , mine didnt make 2 weeks. couldnt get warrenty cause i threw out bill.cant afford new one and labour charges.THAT WAS LAST YEAR. oh ya,almost forgot ,mine didnt come with a rotor!!! had to order that too. wont be replacing it with a msd thats for sure.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:26 PM
4corvettes
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I called MSD and spoke to a tech and he told me it was most likely the opti low pulse sensor gone bad. I got a new MSD opti and put it in this weekend by myself. For a weekend wrench turner, I didn't do too bad. It took me about 6 hours when all said and done. I was very careful with both the removal and install of the new one. Car runs fine now with none of the previous symptoms. I am sending the old one back to MSD to have it rebuilt for around $100. I will keep it as a spare for my '93 when it gets sick. Thanks everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Code 16-Low Resolution Pulse

Quick Reply: Help with Code 16-Low Resolution Pulse