C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

digital dashes

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:27 AM
poor boy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default digital dashes

Even though my digital dash in the '86 works flawlessly I'm curious as to how many have had problems with them and what the most common problem is. Also what is the best fix or maybe the only fix?

Last edited by poor boy; 04-05-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 AM
lgolson
Instructor

When I bought my 86 coupe, the LCDs would go in and out as you went over bumps in the road. check out this site for some great info. http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/index.shtml.

I was able to repair it myself and save some major $$$$. on mine, the solder joints on the pins that connect the two circuit boards together had failed.

I re soldered them and it works perfectly now!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 AM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by poor boy
Even though my digital dash in the '86 works flawlessly I'm curious as to how many have had problems with them and what the most common problem is. Also what is the best fix or maybe the only fix?
http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/index.shtml
Old 04-05-2010, 12:04 PM
charv66
Advanced

Originally Posted by j-vette
That site really makes my day. Only 3 days into owning an '86 my dash is going out. It is always on but so dim you can barely see it. Sometimes it will briefly go to max intensity. Not reliable. I hope the solder repair does the trick.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 PM
CopperCorvette
Pro

There are normally two reasons for having problems with the display. One is the cold solder joints and the other is the backlight bulbs. If neither of these fix it that's when a shop will need to check it out.
Copper
Old 04-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I owned an 84 for 22 years and the only problem I had was the bulbs,Id check these out before you started looking into a major repair.Its my understanding once the display goes out its dead opposed to bad bulbs,the display is working just dim.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 PM
charv66
Advanced

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
I owned an 84 for 22 years and the only problem I had was the bulbs,Id check these out before you started looking into a major repair.Its my understanding once the display goes out its dead opposed to bad bulbs,the display is working just dim.
I was out today in the bright sunlight and could see the dispaly. With the sun directly on the screens the contrast looked pretty good. As soon as it gets dark - she goes black. Bulbs?

Last edited by charv66; 04-05-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:05 AM
CopperCorvette
Pro

Have you blocked the photocell in any way, like placing an over lay onto the dash? Take a flashlight and shine it into the photocell and see if there is a differance in the display. If you don't see any differance pull the bezel off of the dash display and look at the blacklight blubs. You should be able to see light coming out from around the silver tabs where each of the bulbs are. There is a good article written by Gordon Killebrew that breaks it down for you. You can read it at

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/1999...ash/dashp1.asp

or another good one is

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/repair.htm
Old 04-06-2010, 08:43 AM
lgolson
Instructor

Originally Posted by charv66
I was out today in the bright sunlight and could see the dispaly. With the sun directly on the screens the contrast looked pretty good. As soon as it gets dark - she goes black. Bulbs?
That is exactly what mine did! I left it for about 3 months and the problem got worse. You couldn't even read them in the sun after a while. My problem was cold solder joints. fixed it and no problems since.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 PM
gabezC4
Racer

Default Grounds

1. Change out bulbs. They're like $8.00 at NAPA Auto Parts. Forgot the part # for the bulb though...

2. If dash still doesn't work, check all the grounds. Make sure all the ground wires haven't come loose. Being these cars can be so ridgid, the grounds can come loose over time.

3. If grounded, then check solder joints everywhere on the circut board(can take a long time).

4. Or if you're like me and don't have any tools for this type of repair, I just took it down and had my shop do all the work. 2 weeks later I had my car back with a perfect digi dash...for $600. They had to send the cluster to Indiana to have some company fix it who specializes in 80's Chevy digi dashes.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To digital dashes

Quick Reply: digital dashes