C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

95 Convertible back window trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:08 AM
AC13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Convertible back window trouble

About a month ago I posted that I was having a small problem with my back window. It seems that a small portion of the seal seperated from the window and the roof. Some members said that they used certain glue and were successful. I tried and nothing worked. Now it has become worse. The window has seperated from the roof and the only thing that holds it from totally falling out is the rear defrost and 2 strips of velcro that i used on each side.
I called the local mechanic who told me I needed a whole new roof. The top is in great shape. Can he be right or is he just trying to milk me?

Any advice would be greatly appeciated.

Thank you

AC
Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Jamesnns
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you use a very strong thread, like a nylon, kinda thick, and go slow and just stitch it back together?
My neighbor makes curtains out of her house and i'm sure she could do it, she's got 7-8 diff. machines in her basement...maybe look for someone like that?

Just a thought.

If it's all glass that needs to be attached to the top, I'll start thinking about that...there's got to be a way.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

this seems to be a common problem for the verts with a glass window.
My car has a thick bead all around the entire window of ge silicone. be careful not to get any on the top.you can use masking tape or duct tape to support the window while the silicone is curing. This has been done to my car over 4 years ago and it is still looking good. The clear silicone was used in my case. This worked for me and saved me from replacing the top. Just take your time. You will want to ask a friend to help you to support the window while you do this. I also have a 95 vert
good luck
Old 04-05-2010, 11:06 AM
AC13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think i neeed new weather stripping as well. Any ideas where i can get it.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 Convertible back window trouble

Quick Reply: 95 Convertible back window trouble