Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Why is the top of my door panel loose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:04 PM
85vettefan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is the top of my door panel loose?

The window sill is off, ive tried to get it back over, and done it, but when i shut the door it just pops off. Is this common? What do i do to get it fixed? If i need a door panel where do i get one? Any help would be great!!
Old 04-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,510 Likes on 864 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by 85vettefan
The window sill is off, ive tried to get it back over, and done it, but when i shut the door it just pops off. Is this common? What do i do to get it fixed? If i need a door panel where do i get one? Any help would be great!!
I had a similar problem. I took it to the dealer and they wanted $600 to replace the door panel.

I then took it to an upholstry place, 101 Upholstry. He showed me about a 3/4 inch tear at the top, by the where the top meets the rear of the drivers window. He took it off, glued it, and charged me $25. Two years later and it still stays on.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:40 PM
85vettefan
Advanced

Anyone else?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 PM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

you have to reinforce the broken ribs I used sheet metal and pop rivits and also put a self cutting washer screw through the side of the panel through the door so it can not lift up and pop off again paint screw interior color
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by joesgulfstream
you have to reinforce the broken ribs I used sheet metal and pop rivits and also put a self cutting washer screw through the side of the panel through the door so it can not lift up and pop off again paint screw interior color
I did the same thing...got the idea from this post when I had my panel off to replace the window stop.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...panel-fix.html
Old 04-21-2010, 09:19 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

you have to reinforce the broken ribs I used sheet metal and pop rivits
Funny, I hadnt noticed any of these threads and posted one myself. Now I notice 3-4 a week. I started to use a strip of aluminum but reinforced the panel with fiberglass. Maybe not the best idea as the FG didnt stick to the plastic of the panel. I drilled a few holes along the lip to allow resin to get thru and help secure the FG to the panel, then when I riveted my window wipe back on, it helped a lot. The panel went down good initially and I have it screwed off, only time will tell I guess.

also put a self cutting washer screw through the side of the panel through the door so it can not lift up and pop off again paint screw interior color
I would do this as a last resort. If theses extra screws dont bother you, go ahead. I may yet do it anyway.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Why is the top of my door panel loose?

Quick Reply: Why is the top of my door panel loose?