C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Rust

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 PM
chevroletman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Rust

A buddy of mine has asked me to inspect a C4 he wants to buy.
I know what to look for on a C3. Do I look for the same on a C4?
Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

What year? Each year seems to have the one or two outstanding issue(s) to look for. As for rust, I've never really seen any post of people complaining of unusual frame rust on even the oldest of C4's.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by bac22
What year? Each year seems to have the one or two outstanding issue(s) to look for. As for rust, I've never really seen any post of people complaining of unusual frame rust on even the oldest of C4's.
You havent yet but give it some time.The windshield frames do rust and the frame sections are starting to rust out.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:35 PM
chevroletman
Advanced

"87
Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any steel part on a car can rust. The fact that rust isn't as prevelant on C4s as it was on C3s it probably due to the fact that most C4s were bought as toys and have been garaged since new, whereas C3s and earlier Vettes were bought to be driven and, before people realized the collectability of them, many sat outside in all kinds of weather.

Check the usual suspects: frame rails (especially where they kick up in front of the rear wheels), windshield frame, radiator support.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:25 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for one that has been garaged most of it's life.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:38 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

A world of difference between C3, and C4. I agree with Jeff I have heard of the windshield being a problem, and I would imagine like anything if it is parked outside, especially in the grass, it will rot out the bottom.

I hear more about the floors being busted out than rust as an issue. About the only thing that gets rusty on mine is the rotors.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:34 AM
chevroletman
Advanced

Ok so I will look at the frame kick-ups and the bird cage.
Is their anything else major to look at on this 87?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

There is a world of difference between a C3 and a C4. You really shouldn't find any major rust points on a C4 like the C3 has. I've never heard or seen any problems with the windsheild frame rusting on any C4's. It should be an easy car for you to inspect.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:05 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at my 94 twice before I decided to buy it. It had spent most it's life in upstate new York, and the last 4 years by the Texas beach. It has seen the worst possible weather conditions and been neglected and abused its whole life.

The 1st time I looked at I said no way, And I moved on never plaining to look back. But a few months later I got an email from the seller saying he is willing to cut the price low enough where I was interested again. When I went back I asked if we could take it back to my shop to put it on the lift (too look for rust)
I spent a solid hour under the car looking of any signs of rust damage and could not find any. Even the exhaust pipe and under the spare where in good shape.

It was surprising because everything top side clearly had severe sun, salt & sand damage.

I believe it will be a long time before we start to address rust issues in the C4's.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:20 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

The first C4s are now, believe it or not, almost 30 years old, and I have NEVER seen, or heard of, any corrosion issues with a C4 chassis. This is no doubt due in large part to the fact that C4 steel components of the chassis and birdcage were galvanized inside and out at the factory.

When performing a pre-purchase inspection of any car, it's wise to look for structural corrosion. But I'd be quite surprised to hear that you found any on a C4 Corvette, unless its frame had sustained damage that had breached the galvanized coating and allowed corrosives to attack the base metal.

I love C1/2/3 Corvettes, but the absence of rust issues on the C4s makes them very attractive, by contrast, as used cars. Structural corrosion, especially in the birdcage, of C2/3 Corvettes can turn into a nightmare. With a C4, that worry is pretty much non-existent.

I have heard of C4 windshield frame corrosion issues in rare cases where a butcher replaced a windshield and scarred the frame with glass-removal tools, so this is worth looking for, to the extent that it might be visible.

Live well,

SJW

Last edited by SJW; 05-08-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Rust

Quick Reply: C4 Rust