Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

revolving front license plates, tilt frames, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:08 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default revolving front license plates, tilt frames, etc.

I live in a front license plate state, ohio.

For many, many years, the unwritten rule, in ohio, with front license plates is as follows:

You wont get pulled over specifically for it, unless there is a suspiscion of a crime. DUI, burglarly, etc. You will get a ticket for it if you are already getting a ticket for something else such as speeding, etc. Also, ORC (ohio revised code) recognizes a vehicle as being registered if a back plate is displayed. There is no mention of the front plate.

We all know that there arent typical times, with the economy, and the high number of 'i will ticket my mom-type' rookie cops entering our streets.

My question to CF members is, what options are available for revolving or hideway license plates.

In envisioning something that I could flip a switch on and have my front plate displayed, in an instant if needed.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Jamesnns
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My name is Bond...James Bond.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

There was a post a couple months ago that had a link to a company who makes exactly what you are looking for. I can't remember the name of the company now, maybe someone else does. If I recall you can Google "hideaway plate" and it will come up.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0TS3SInyoY&feature=fvw
Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Gazpar
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here ya go...

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...9f31e771cba318
Old 05-24-2010, 11:44 AM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing for the C-4. Poor red-headed stepchild loses once again.
Mike
Old 05-24-2010, 11:48 AM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamesnns
My name is Bond...James Bond.
I always wanted to do this! I also want a smoke screen and road tacks
Old 05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,510 Likes on 864 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by 78pacer
Nothing for the C-4. Poor red-headed stepchild loses once again.
Mike
When is someone going to get smart and make one for the C4. I see them for about everything else.

Hey, I like red
Old 05-24-2010, 06:14 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought MAM had a setup for the C4
I know I don't want the James Bond option of leaving a oil slick
Old 05-24-2010, 06:31 PM
1991-C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dogfish246
I always wanted to do this! I also want a smoke screen and road tacks
I used to have a '94 Lincoln Town Car (and they have forums just like us! Who knew?) that I called the James Bond car. I never used to change the oil in that car. It burned so much oil that I didn't have to! Every time I would punch the accelerator, it would leave a big blue cloud of smoke behind the car!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,510 Likes on 864 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by floridamale
I thought MAM had a setup for the C4
I know I don't want the James Bond option of leaving a oil slick
Page 209 of the new catalog has them for the C5/C6, but not for the C4.
They do have a clear contoured Front Plate Cover. Using the James Bond Option, maybe I can come up with a red projector light to make the cover red unless I turn the light off.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:22 PM
poor boy
Racer

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I live in a front license plate state, ohio.

For many, many years, the unwritten rule, in ohio, with front license plates is as follows:

You wont get pulled over specifically for it, unless there is a suspiscion of a crime. DUI, burglarly, etc. You will get a ticket for it if you are already getting a ticket for something else such as speeding, etc. Also, ORC (ohio revised code) recognizes a vehicle as being registered if a back plate is displayed. There is no mention of the front plate.

We all know that there arent typical times, with the economy, and the high number of 'i will ticket my mom-type' rookie cops entering our streets.

My question to CF members is, what options are available for revolving or hideway license plates.

In envisioning something that I could flip a switch on and have my front plate displayed, in an instant if needed.
The type of law you are referring to is known as a "second offense" law in which it cannot be the primary cause of stopping you but once you have been stopped it is up to the descreation of the officer to write.(most of which did) The reason I said did is because like the seat belt laws which started out as a "second offense" have now been changed to a primary offense status. Just more typical governmental legislating to increase revenues in the States and likewise more bad news for the citizens of these States telling you what you can and can't do.

In Illinois you have to have everyone in the car buckled up or you're gonna get stopped even if it's your passenger that's not, but you can climb on a crotch rocket and run 70 mph down the interstate with no helmet. I guess Kawasaki has a stronger lobby in the State of Illinois than GM, Ford, or Chrysler.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by poor boy
you can climb on a crotch rocket and run 70 mph down the interstate with no helmet.
I love Florida on this, you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet but dont dare get on a BICYCLE without one. Uhhh.......well...never mind.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:43 AM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
I love Florida on this, you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet but dont dare get on a BICYCLE without one. Uhhh.......well...never mind.
See its like this when your going 100mph on a motorcycle you want to feel the wind blowing throught your hair, thats if you have any. On a bicycle you don't go that fast so your hair won't blow, and if that 100mph motorcycle hits you on your bicycle you will be glad you had your helmet on. That is the only reason I can come up with, makes sence right ?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 AM
poor boy
Racer

Originally Posted by joesgulfstream
See its like this when your going 100mph on a motorcycle you want to feel the wind blowing throught your hair, thats if you have any. On a bicycle you don't go that fast so your hair won't blow, and if that 100mph motorcycle hits you on your bicycle you will be glad you had your helmet on. That is the only reason I can come up with, makes sence right ?
Makes some sense Joe, but try this on for size. To me it's like the legislators all were in bike (both powered and pedaled) accidents and therefore suffered massive head trama and don't think so good anymore and completely suffer from vacated thought processing (which is very common among most politicians).
Old 05-25-2010, 10:18 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

The type of law you are referring to is known as a "second offense" law in which it cannot be the primary cause of stopping you but once you have been stopped it is up to the descreation of the officer to write.(most of which did) The reason I said did is because like the seat belt laws which started out as a "second offense" have now been changed to a primary offense status. Just more typical governmental legislating to increase revenues in the States and likewise more bad news for the citizens of these States telling you what you can and can't do.

In Illinois you have to have everyone in the car buckled up or you're gonna get stopped even if it's your passenger that's not, but you can climb on a crotch rocket and run 70 mph down the interstate with no helmet. I guess Kawasaki has a stronger lobby in the State of Illinois than GM, Ford, or Chrysler.
i asked a ohio state patrol forum member about this, and he said that no front -plate is a primary offense. He also said that rarely does anyone pull anyone over for this - unless there is suspiscion of another crime. While 99% of cops wont pull you over, there is that 1%. One of my friends got nailed for this in brecksville, ohio. Cop made a u-turn in traffic to get to him. He got a $120 ticket. He was doing nothing else wrong.

The seat belt law used to be like that in ohio <where the driver gets fined>, but they changed it so now the passenger (front seat only applies) gets fined if they are caught not wearing their seat.

Get notified of new replies

To revolving front license plates, tilt frames, etc.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:20 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

any idea which ones work for the c4?

Is there a universal one that CF members know works?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:44 AM
poor boy
Racer

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
i asked a ohio state patrol forum member about this, and he said that no front -plate is a primary offense. He also said that rarely does anyone pull anyone over for this - unless there is suspiscion of another crime. While 99% of cops wont pull you over, there is that 1%. One of my friends got nailed for this in brecksville, ohio. Cop made a u-turn in traffic to get to him. He got a $120 ticket. He was doing nothing else wrong.

The seat belt law used to be like that in ohio <where the driver gets fined>, but they changed it so now the passenger (front seat only applies) gets fined if they are caught not wearing their seat.
The fines are a little less costly here (only $65) but my wife had to get two of them within 60 days to learn to put the dam* thing on so between the two it cost me about the same as your friend.

Illinois currently has a bill that is sitting in the Govenor's office awaiting his signature to double all traffic fines due to the current budget being in the red. The purpose of the bill is to prevent the layoffs of 400 State Troopers and teachers. the problem is that an example is speeding in a school (which I personally do abide by and think everyone should) now is a $350 ticket but would become a $700 ticket if Quinn signs the bill. To me I think this would qualify as an Eighth Amen. breach but if the bill is signed someone with a lot more money than me would have to try to get it on the Supreme Court docket to have it struck down, and given the current attitude of the Court it would probably fail to gain to make the docket.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:02 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

The fines are a little less costly here (only $65) but my wife had to get two of them within 60 days to learn to put the dam* thing on so between the two it cost me about the same as your friend.

Illinois currently has a bill that is sitting in the Govenor's office awaiting his signature to double all traffic fines due to the current budget being in the red. The purpose of the bill is to prevent the layoffs of 400 State Troopers and teachers. the problem is that an example is speeding in a school (which I personally do abide by and think everyone should) now is a $350 ticket but would become a $700 ticket if Quinn signs the bill. To me I think this would qualify as an Eighth Amen. breach but if the bill is signed someone with a lot more money than me would have to try to get it on the Supreme Court docket to have it struck down, and given the current attitude of the Court it would probably fail to gain to make the docket.
ohio had this same issue, so they created a new automatic $20 fine for anyone caught renewing their drivers license or vehicle registration more than 10 days after expiration. While this is , it has raised an unbelievable amount of money for the state and prevented layoffs of state highway patrol. I just got hit with this on my drivers license renewal (must renew every 5 or 6 years). However, the $20 fine was a small fraction of what I would have paid had I got caught driving with an expired license. Typically thats a $400 fine. I could have also got a suspended license which they make you turn in your normal license plates and use special colored license plates instead. These are also reserved for those with DUI's. It is quite embarrassing to get those license plates as most people just associate them with a driver who had a DUI, and not for the other reasons they are given out.

Quick Reply: revolving front license plates, tilt frames, etc.