Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Problem list so far...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Aopsahl7
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default NOOB....Problem list so far! - Love the forum.

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum. I was up until now a truck guy and did most my modding on my silverado for mud. Now I am at the other end of the spectrum. picked up an 86 with 125K on the clock. It runs but needs work. So the project begins...

Here are the major issues I havent been able to figure out how to fix so far on my new to me vette. Any help would be great.

1) When you press the gas pedal to get it off the idle position is difficult and you ahve to apply too much pressure that once you get it off the idle position you end up going to 75%-flooring it. It seems like it needs lube or something.

2) Transmission - I took the car out for a spin the other day (granted it has sat for almost a year before this and yes i did the fluids before a little spin) and when i dropped the pedal to the floor whne doing about 30mph it just drowned and did not seemt o want to downshift. Is that normal? I was expecting a quick downshift...

3) Parking brake - So I am pretty damn sure the parking brake is released, but the light on the dash still is illuminated. My dads suburban has the same problem. Its like it is not retracting fully so its not taking off the electric switch to turn off that e-brake light on the dash.

4) Cleaning the engine bay - The thing is a mess. Its old and dirty ha ha and I want to shine it all up. Where shoudl I start and what process should I use. Just elbow grease and some purple power? Whats the best method?

5) Power Drivers Seat - Every direction except for the back verticle down ha ha. It will go up but will not go back down. Keep in mind every other direction and switch works just fine.

6) Brakes - I checked the pads and rotors and other than some surface rust on the rotors they looked good. However, when I took it for a drive the other day it was like there was only one amount of brake power SOFT ha ha. The pedal was firm, but no matter how hard I pressed it would not brake any harder. A little frightening.

Thats it for now. I am sure I will have more soon. Heres a pic of me picking it up.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Aopsahl7; 06-07-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:50 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Disconnect the bellows from the intake and look at the throttle plate. You will see it has an axel that runs its length from side to side. Check the holes on either side to make sure they are round and snug and not oval and loose. With the key on, engine off, back probe the throttle position sensor with an analog volt meter set to the 5 volt range. As you manually open and close the throttle you should see the needle on the volt meter track steadily from almost no volts to almost 5.

2. Search the forum for "Pete K TV cable adjustment"

3. You will have to remove the driver's seat. Put your right elbow into the center of the front edge of the seat and reach under the center of the front of the seat and release the clip that holds the seat cushion on. Remove the seat cushion and you will see the four bolts that hold the seat to the track. Remove the cover for the e-brake lever. As you work the lever you should see where it needs to be to contact a copper strip. If it looks like it is contacting it then try to scuff the area a bit so that there is no rust etc in the way. You can also check to see if jumpering the wires will turn off the brake light.

4. Same as the Silverado!

5. While you have the seat out, check for any broken chunks of white plastic in the rails.

6. Flush the old brake fluid and bleed out all of the air and you should be golden.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Aopsahl7
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94z07fx3
1. Disconnect the bellows from the intake and look at the throttle plate. You will see it has an axel that runs its length from side to side. Check the holes on either side to make sure they are round and snug and not oval and loose. With the key on, engine off, back probe the throttle position sensor with an analog volt meter set to the 5 volt range. As you manually open and close the throttle you should see the needle on the volt meter track steadily from almost no volts to almost 5.

2. Search the forum for "Pete K TV cable adjustment"

3. You will have to remove the driver's seat. Put your right elbow into the center of the front edge of the seat and reach under the center of the front of the seat and release the clip that holds the seat cushion on. Remove the seat cushion and you will see the four bolts that hold the seat to the track. Remove the cover for the e-brake lever. As you work the lever you should see where it needs to be to contact a copper strip. If it looks like it is contacting it then try to scuff the area a bit so that there is no rust etc in the way. You can also check to see if jumpering the wires will turn off the brake light.

4. Same as the Silverado!

5. While you have the seat out, check for any broken chunks of white plastic in the rails.

6. Flush the old brake fluid and bleed out all of the air and you should be golden.

Thanks for the run down. I will give it all a shot. Only thing I could not find was the Pete K TV cable adjustment thread. Any link to that?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Aopsahl7
Thanks for the run down. I will give it all a shot. Only thing I could not find was the Pete K TV cable adjustment thread. Any link to that?

Thanks!
This is one of Pete's posts on the subject.

Adjustment is with your ability. Open the hood and locate the tv cable on the throttle body. It is the lowest cable on the bracket. With engine off, push and hold in the d shaped button on the head of the cable. While holding it in, pull the cable cover toward the firewall till it bottoms. Then, grab the linkage at the throttle bopdy and spin it to wide open throttle. The cable will click, click, click into adjustment. That is all there is to it.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 AM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also on the brakes...

If you disconnect the big vacuum line to the power booster and plug it off and the brakes feel the same then it is time for a new power booster.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem list so far...

Quick Reply: Problem list so far...