C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

91 door chime relay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Jamesnns
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 91 door chime relay?

My door chime...keys in open door, works "sometimes".

Whats the relay? Is there a relay? Wheres the relay?

Whats the part, where to get it?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

sounds like mine. Works when they want to. Scared the heck out me the first time I heard it chime.

Don't know where the relay is but I will be looking for it.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Jamesnns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
sounds like mine. Works when they want to. Scared the heck out me the first time I heard it chime.

Don't know where the relay is but I will be looking for it.
What year you got?

After searching, some say its to the right, behind the DIC. Some say to have to remove dash pad and its upper right pass side to get to it, others not. these were from from 94 and up folks.
One guy said "1990" that it was $38 part, didn't mention where he got it.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Jamesnns
Le Mans Master

Guess its called a Tone Generator.
Found it for $100 USED at corvette recylcling
That ain't worth my $

Still dont know where to locate it in car, FSM is no help so far.

Last edited by Jamesnns; 06-15-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

hey, I have a 91 - the tone generator is directly behind the driver information center (DIC). You have to remove the dash top cover to gain access to it. Once the top pad is off, piece of cake to R&R. Ref section 8C-10 fig 8 and 8C-29 fig 33 (1991 FSM).

And, really, removing the dash pad really isnt all that difficult, just keep track of all the various screws and bits. The dash pad is a bit arkward due to its size and shape.

Also, I bet your tone generator simply has a few cold solder joints (that was the problem with mine). I fixed mine by removing the circuit board from the plastic casing, and re-soldering the big solder joints where the connector plugs into the circuit board.

Ive posted on this topic before, might want to try a search. I dont have a pic of the disassembled dash, but heres a pic of the chimer.

I just touched up the solder joints of the four big connectors (on the other side of the board).
Old 06-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Pop Evans
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Mine was dead. I resoldered all the connections on the board and it works fine. At the time I had the dash pad off already so that was a non issue. It is located behind the DIC and snaps into a holder.
Regards Pop
Old 06-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Jamesnns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gear Jammer
hey, I have a 91 - the tone generator is directly behind the driver information center (DIC). You have to remove the dash top cover to gain access to it. Once the top pad is off, piece of cake to R&R. Ref section 8C-10 fig 8 and 8C-29 fig 33 (1991 FSM).

And, really, removing the dash pad really isnt all that difficult, just keep track of all the various screws and bits. The dash pad is a bit arkward due to its size and shape.

Also, I bet your tone generator simply has a few cold solder joints (that was the problem with mine). I fixed mine by removing the circuit board from the plastic casing, and re-soldering the big solder joints where the connector plugs into the circuit board.

Ive posted on this topic before, might want to try a search. I dont have a pic of the disassembled dash, but heres a pic of the chimer.

I just touched up the solder joints of the four big connectors (on the other side of the board).
Perfect!
You're the man.
You get a cookie

Next time I take my dash apart I'll do this too. Since it works "sometimes" I'm betting that you're right.
At the same time, I'll do that Tach fix with a 200k ohm resistor soldered between pins 4 and 10 in the dash cluster.
This would be a good time to look for crimped wires etc by my CCM too.
Might as well if I'm tearing out the dash...right?

found used $100
New $194.00
Fleaday auction site $40

Last edited by Jamesnns; 06-16-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 91 door chime relay?

Quick Reply: 91 door chime relay?